BANGKOK 20 May 2019 04:22
webfact

'Seeing the unseeable': Scientists reveal first photo of black hole

Einstein often gets more credit than he deserves. 

In 1916, Karl Schwarzschild solved Einstein’s general relativity equations to determine the radius of an object whose escape velocity would exceed the speed of light. However, Einstein himself claimed that the possibility of a black hole was nothing more than a mathematical curiosity—an interesting prediction of general relativity, but not an accurate depiction of reality. Not until the mid-twentieth century, when neutron stars were discovered, did astrophysicists begin to seriously consider whether objects as compact as black holes could actually exist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, leeneeds said:

I will be long dead when they figure out where the inside of the black hole goes, a worm hole to another universe would be incomprehensible to my small mind, 

still to be alive for the moon landing and hopefully the near future Mars landing,

truly amazing what humans can figure out in the cosmos, 

Thank you science.

The black hole leads to another dimension.

Mr G said to Neil Armstrong; "when will man walk on the surface of the sun?"

"People will never be able to walk on the sun; far too hot."

"Couldn't people go in the winter when it's colder."

Do you really think humans have walked on the moon? Mr Armstrong didn't even know about the sun.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Humbling stuff.  Makes all our sub-lunary narratives (Trump, idiot Dems, May becoming October) seem just so much fluff....

• Like 2

It's absolutely marvellous..but no different than seeing the glories of nature...

I remember being crammed into a school assembly hall to see the moon landing (?a thousand )

We thought we could do anything in those far off days..

• Thanks 1

If M87 was 54 million light years from earth, what has been observed was 54 million years ago. Black holes might be like dinosaurs, they existed once upon a time but not now.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, car720 said:

Black holes in an empty space that gobble everything up and give nothing back.  Sounds like any one of my ex-wives. 

Two of mine...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Do you really think humans have walked on the moon? 

In the middle of the Cold War... Soviet and other "radio dishes" following the Apollo, to, on the moon and back. You really think, one Soviet scientist would be silent if he/she discovered sometnig n was wrogn the the origin of that signal ? ?

Also remind the several instruments left on the moon, and still in use, for instance the laser reflector many students still use the measure the distance moon-earth… You think, all keep silent when that thing woudl not be there.. ? ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1