'Seeing the unseeable': Scientists reveal first photo of black hole

webfact

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Read Stephen Hawkins brief history of time. 

I'll pass thanks. Seems a lot of people think they know how life the universe and everything actually works- they know nothing, humans know nothing.

False pride will be the downfall of mankind.

The entire human race will be extinct before they actually learn the reality of life, the universe and everything.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'll pass thanks. Seems a lot of people think they know how life the universe and everything actually works- they know nothing, humans know nothing.

False pride will be the downfall of mankind.

The entire human race will be extinct before they actually learn the reality of life, the universe and everything.

I read it, explains a lot of stuff.

Not saying I understood it all mind, but if you want to know where matter came from, it does help understand it. 

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sooooo, where did the light come from? I refuse to believe that matter came from nothing.

PS I know the light comes from stars, but where did the matter that makes stars come from?

E=mc2  shows that matter and energy are interchangeable - the nuclear bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima converted matter into pure energy. At the beginning of the universe the opposite happened, where pure energy was converted into matter. 

As to where that energy came from is another question, but one hypothesis is the zero-energy universe...

the sum of all the positive energy (matter) and negative energy (gravity) in the universe is exactly zero, suggests the universe actually started from nothing... 

In the quantum world weird things happen, particles pop in and out of existence... somehow nothingness was split into positive and negative energy and the sum of all that energy = 0.       

10 hours ago, Elad said:

E=mc2  shows that matter and energy are interchangeable - the nuclear bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima converted matter into pure energy. At the beginning of the universe the opposite happened, where pure energy was converted into matter. 

As to where that energy came from is another question, but one hypothesis is the zero-energy universe...

the sum of all the positive energy (matter) and negative energy (gravity) in the universe is exactly zero, suggests the universe actually started from nothing... 

In the quantum world weird things happen, particles pop in and out of existence... somehow nothingness was split into positive and negative energy and the sum of all that energy = 0.       

Are the scientists saying nothing can create something? Sounds like a "clever" way to say they don't really know, but it's all down to something they put under a label, such as "quantum physics".

If they actually came out and said they don't know, their funding might get cut off.

Personally, I don't believe understanding "quantum physics" is going to help anyone in the real world, and they should be inventing nuclear fusion to do something worthwhile.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I refuse to believe that matter came from nothing.

Are the scientists saying nothing can create something?

You keep using this word "nothing" in a vain attempt to shoot holes in some alleged hypothesis.   You should stop, because no working hypothesis of origin asserts that something came from nothing.

I would invite you to do some reading but earlier it was suggested that you do some light reading to dispel your ignorance, and you said "I'll pass thanks".  And I don't use this word "ignorance" in a pejorative way; all of us are ignorant about something.  Ignorance is something that can be eliminated through a process called learning.

On 4/18/2019 at 1:20 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

If I could have a wish come true, it would be to stand on a planet in the centre of the galaxy with the most stars on a clear night. That would be legendary. 

If you were in the center of the universe, you may be looking at a very dark and totally black sky.

The Milkyway is about 100,000 light years across, but when you look at the night sky on a clear day, all the starts you can see with the naked eye is within 8,000 light years from Earth.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are the scientists saying nothing can create something? Sounds like a "clever" way to say they don't really know, but it's all down to something they put under a label, such as "quantum physics".

I suppose the only way to describe something from nothing is to think about the 'charge' of a hydrogen atom..

A neutral hydrogen atom has zero charge, but if the electron detaches or splits from the atom then you're left with a positively charged proton and a negatively charged electron.

The sum of those charges is:  1 + (-1) = 0   

I agree that a universe from nothing doesn't make sense, but a universe from something also doesn't make sense because what created that something?  

16 hours ago, attrayant said:

You keep using this word "nothing" in a vain attempt to shoot holes in some alleged hypothesis.   You should stop, because no working hypothesis of origin asserts that something came from nothing.

I would invite you to do some reading but earlier it was suggested that you do some light reading to dispel your ignorance, and you said "I'll pass thanks".  And I don't use this word "ignorance" in a pejorative way; all of us are ignorant about something.  Ignorance is something that can be eliminated through a process called learning.

and I'll keep saying "something from nothing", unless someone can explain how there was "something" in the first place.

Calling me ignorant is a two edged sword, as you can't explain how matter came into existence in the first place.

Either there was "something" for ever, and explain that, or "something" was created.

8 hours ago, Elad said:

I suppose the only way to describe something from nothing is to think about the 'charge' of a hydrogen atom..

A neutral hydrogen atom has zero charge, but if the electron detaches or splits from the atom then you're left with a positively charged proton and a negatively charged electron.

The sum of those charges is:  1 + (-1) = 0   

I agree that a universe from nothing doesn't make sense, but a universe from something also doesn't make sense because what created that something?  

but a universe from something also doesn't make sense because what created that something?  

Exactly, but I've been accused of ignorance because I asked that question, even though NO ONE can explain how "something" was created in the first place.

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

but a universe from something also doesn't make sense because what created that something?  

Exactly, but I've been accused of ignorance because I asked that question, even though NO ONE can explain how "something" was created in the first place.

We won't find any answers to these questions until physicists find a unified theory that uses all four fundamental forces (gravity, strong, weak and electromagnetism).

General relativity uses gravity to describe the laws of motion of large things like stars, planets and galaxies, and quantum/particle physics uses the other three forces to describe how elementary particles behave. 

We need a theory that describes the very large and the very small using all four forces.

Also, more than 75% of the universe contains a mysterious matter/energy that doesn't interact with normal matter and doesn't emit any light, but we know its there because of its gravitational effects.

There's one theory that suggests dark matter possesses negative mass, and although its sounds crazy it could actually be true because Einstein's theory of general relativity allows for both positive and negative mass/energy.

With negative mass gravity works in the opposite direction and is repulsive, this could also explain why the universe is expanding.

I think if we can detect dark matter somehow and reveal its particle properties, then we might have a chance of answering the big questions to how the universe began, and ultimately, how it will end.   

Here's a link on negative mass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_mass#In_general_relativity     

4 hours ago, Elad said:

We won't find any answers to these questions until physicists find a unified theory that uses all four fundamental forces (gravity, strong, weak and electromagnetism).

General relativity uses gravity to describe the laws of motion of large things like stars, planets and galaxies, and quantum/particle physics uses the other three forces to describe how elementary particles behave. 

We need a theory that describes the very large and the very small using all four forces.

Also, more than 75% of the universe contains a mysterious matter/energy that doesn't interact with normal matter and doesn't emit any light, but we know its there because of its gravitational effects.

There's one theory that suggests dark matter possesses negative mass, and although its sounds crazy it could actually be true because Einstein's theory of general relativity allows for both positive and negative mass/energy.

With negative mass gravity works in the opposite direction and is repulsive, this could also explain why the universe is expanding.

I think if we can detect dark matter somehow and reveal its particle properties, then we might have a chance of answering the big questions to how the universe began, and ultimately, how it will end.   

Here's a link on negative mass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_mass#In_general_relativity     

Perhaps, but I doubt it. If it was created, the creator isn't going to let the lab rats know the answer to life, the universe and everything.

If there is a creator, how did the creator come into being, and if there is no creator, how did life, the universe and everything come into existence?

All 4 points you reference can only exist if matter exists, and my question is- how did that matter come into being?

Sorry, but we ( humans ) know sod all, even though some people think they do. There could be many, many more fundamental forces at work that we can't even imagine, after all, till someone came up with dark matter, we all thought space was empty.

On an evolutionary scale, human knowledge is probably not much more advanced than in the dark ages when it was thought the world was flat, and the sun revolved around the earth.

On an evolutionary scale, human knowledge is probably not much more advanced than in the dark ages when it was thought the world was flat, and the sun revolved around the earth.

I think there's a bunch of people still believe that today.????

Sorry, but we ( humans ) know sod all, even though some people think they do. There could be many, many more fundamental forces at work that we can't even imagine, after all, till someone came up with dark matter, we all thought space was empty.

Maybe you're correct and we know very little about the workings of the universe. 

but, if is wasn't for our understanding and knowledge of quantum physics, then there wouldn't be any computers, smartphones, televisions, GPS technology and no internet, therefore this chat forum wouldn't exist and we wouldn't be talking about how much of a bad job scientists are doing in solving the mystery of where all the matter in the universe came from. ????

Archived