Who has plans to move from Chiangmai ?

rumak

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

am intrigued, though, by the effect my decision to stay has on some people. They actually seem angry that I choose not to get more upset by the air quality. It's as if they take my decision personally.

good point !!  

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, DonDoRondo said:

After 7 years I'm out around the end of July.  Already have visa to the new country.  Now getting urges to Chexit sooner.   

new COUNTRY !   could have moved South..... but guess you want some bigger change/challenge.

Where to , may I ask?   Don't worry, doubt if there will be very many quick to follow.  

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

They actually seem angry that I choose not to get more upset by the air quality. It's as if they take my decision personally.

Nope. The idea is to quarantine irrational statements ("doesn't matter because I used to smoke", "it's only a few weeks", etc) so they don't infect uninformed people. 

8 minutes ago, amexpat said:

Nope. The idea is to quarantine irrational statements ("doesn't matter because I used to smoke", "it's only a few weeks", etc) so they don't infect uninformed people. 

After the last 18 years of this (yes, that is how long I've been dealing with this smog... days when I was living in Hillside 4 and couldn't see the Nimann intersection, much less Kad Suan Kaew) the only ones still uninformed are either 17-year locusts or haven't been born yet. Anyone, ANYone, with the slightest interest in Thailand is well aware of what is going on. Your 'intervention' to protect them is just carrying coals to Newcastle.

23 minutes ago, amexpat said:

uninformed people are that way because they choose to be . there is enough information and opinions on every subject under the sun at the click of a mouse.  from what i see , that does not seem to make much difference in the intelligence of mankind.  BTW: why is it that everyone always accuses the other side of being irrational ....?   

The Government just budgeted ,several millions,INCASE African swine fever

hits Thailand,building incinerators to dispose of the dead pigs etc,now its not 

certain that African swine fever will happen here, BUT I know next year there will

be air pollution in the North, as it happens EVERY year,I suppose the Governments

plan  is too buy more blowers,fans, it needs to learn that been proactive and

preventing the fires,by sending the Army,Police and volunteers up in the forests 

catching arsonists,preventing fires,is the sensible thing to do....yes I know.

I won't be leaving, too much to keep me here,and too old to start over again,

Just hope when the Government see's how much the North has lost in tourist

dollars,and the health effects on its population that something will be done,

not holding my breath but......

regards Worgeordie

I have invested 15 years of my life in Chiang Mai. that means I have built up a circle of friends and I think an awful lot, I would not want to start making a new life all over again at 65. Same goes for my wife.

The hassle of selling, moving buying and all the crap that goes with it..sheesh no thanks.

To where?...that's another question there is nowhere like Chiang Mai and I do accept that pollution levels are unacceptable but this year has been the worst in my memory, so unlikely to be as bad next year (I hope).

I invested a lot of money in a top quality air purifier about 6 or 7 years ago, still works perfectly well, so I know that what I am breathing indoors is an acceptable quality of air.

Every March I go home to see my father, children and grandchildren...what better time to go than this? last year when I go back the air pollution was much better, guess I was just unlucky this year.

No, I am staying put, I need the great selection of hospitals we have here to keep me going...and you would only get them (at probably double the price) in Bangkok, and I have lived there when I first came to Thailand and although my son and grandson live there..it's not for me.

The only way I will be leaving is in a plume of smoke...which I hope does not cause to much pollution????

58 minutes ago, rumak said:

BTW: why is it that everyone always accuses the other side of being irrational ....?   

"Everyone"  "Always"

There is an example.  

1 hour ago, rumak said:

there is enough information and opinions on every subject under the sun at the click of a mouse. 

Also enough misinformation and goofy opinions available. They should be countered.

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

One advantage to being old... I'm no longer worried about 'long term' effects.

I am intrigued, though, by the effect my decision to stay has on some people. They actually seem angry that I choose not to get more upset by the air quality. It's as if they take my decision personally.

It's up to you really. My objection is not with people like you but with those that post on TV forum suggesting that the pollution "isn't that bad" and is "only a few weeks" ... when it is very bad and lasts for many months.

CM is great for 6 months, for the rest of the year best spent somewhere else.

My humble opinion is that it is unacceptable pollution for three months (Feb, Mar, Apr).

February, many people come here and it is really a shame because the weather could not be nicer, but usually, although not visible at this time, the pollution gets strongly into the red AQI area in the beginning of February. This year was an exception and it started late around mid February and was then much stronger, maybe because everything happened at the same time.

The good hospitals are a valid point, but just imagine you get sick and want to stay at home - if it happens during burning season, it is not good for you. No matter how clean your home is, the private hospital I doubt there air is clean indoors.

Iny my humble opinion, do not bother about what the officials say about solving the problem. They are corrupt and surely got a lot of money so they do not enforce the "bans"/laws. That is why it will not change. I feel really sorry for the students who study or come to study here. Also because many of them will continue working in CM after that.

What I appreciate about this topic is that you guys all made good points how to deal with it or whether or not to move. There is no point in getting angry about the situation, it is not going to change. There is no point in reading news about this topic because they are the same all the time. I think I will go to Pattaya in February to see if I like it long-term (2-3- months) so I have an alternative just in case.

1 hour ago, amexpat said:

Also enough misinformation and goofy opinions available. They should be countered.

As I pointed out, there are already counters to every opinion so you are just being redundant .  Why not just stick to answering the question asked and giving your opinion if you desire.

1 hour ago, ThaiPauly said:

The hassle of selling, moving buying and all the crap that goes with it..sheesh no thanks.

To where?...that's another question there is nowhere like Chiang Mai and I do accept that pollution levels are unacceptable but this year has been the worst in my memory, so unlikely to be as bad next year (I hope).

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, those who have roots here over many many years would not want to leave so quickly.  Never crossed my mind till the 3rd month of this pollution.  Just concerned about my health, something that comes with getting older.  

8 minutes ago, kevvy said:

I am not moving , will travel next year for a month.

I have my home here with a view and been here 10 years...

I have a home but can't seem to find the view.  Maybe they moved the mountain ?  Let me know if you find some nice QUIET place to escape to next year.  Might be joining you !

20180622_173621 (1).jpg

No real plans to move but our house is for sale with a view to releasing funds to enable us to be much more flexible.

Yes, I know it is difficult to sell older property in Chiangmai, but again, we are realistic on what we expect.

You can’t get angry over this. You just need to be understanding that this is not going to change. I for one will now be leaving most likely every year for three or four months and come back when it is good air.

Before we left for Australia this year, the readings in my home on air quality were the poorest I have seen them for years and just from what I got told, just got more horrific as each day passed. I realize as I get older and the more expensive health care gets, going back to Australia when I am in my 70’s will be the smart thing to do. In the end, it won’t be the smog that pushes me out but prices on health insurance and exclusions. Under my Australian system, I am well cared for.

I love Chiang Mai but not enough to suck in smoke every year for a few months and even though we have a home in San Kamphaeng, I will always make sure I have a Plan B waiting. I won’t allow myself not to cut my ties in the home country, just to live ‘cheaper’ in Chian Mai. 

moving admits to everyone you were wrong.  you said everything good about CM at it was the best.....  

January, way too many people.  Feb, way too many people and cars, March and April, death heat and death air, May, Hot and rainy..

June, July, August, September....  4 months.  might be OK, not the best, but OK.  

October, November, December.....all the people come again, dangerous, too many cars, expensive, and roads are terrible.

visa issues only every 90 days.... visa issues take up about 1 month a year, since preparing, worrying, and everything...  

I worked 35 years in perfect air...  but now i'm sick all the time because of the pollution.

never leaving!!!!  

2 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

realize as I get older and the more expensive health care gets, going back to Australia when I am in my 70’s will be the smart thing to do. In the end, it won’t be the smog that pushes me out but prices on health insurance and exclusions. Under my Australian system, I am well cared for.

I am pretty sure that many here (TV expats or retirees) are facing this same situation.  About 15 years ago I went to Perth area twice around this time of the year.  Very nice , especially Margaret River area. If I was Australian I would be swimming over soon.   Health care !  Too bad I don't have that luxury.  One can plan for almost everything , but you must have millions or a heck of a monthly income to keep up with medical

emergencies in western countries without REAL coverage.  US is not on that list.  You are a lucky man to have Australia to fall back on when the time comes

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

No real plans to move but our house is for sale with a view to releasing funds to enable us to be much more flexible.

Yes, I know it is difficult to sell older property in Chiangmai, but again, we are realistic on what we expect.

another "house with a view"    ????    pun pun !

I might have that same view shortly.............

While not happy about this smokey year, no plans to leave. When settled with job, family, house, flexibility diminishes.

It’s been interesting how quickly wearing a mask in public, or checking air quality in the house regularly starts to feel normal...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I'll be moving back to the US around August or September after 10 years in the Chiang Mai area.  But our reason for the move is partly for obtaining free medical service via the VA in the US.  I must admit that all the changing of the Thai immigration rules and the smog did help to confirm our decision to move.   We will not sell our house because I expect to move back to Chiang Mai in about three years if some of the issues have improved.  Meanwhile we will let our maid live in the house and take care of it for us. 

We too have our roots well and truly established in CM, and my daughter goes to a good school there where she has many friends. We tend to be in another country February to April, so these days we usually miss most of the smog in CM. I too have my eye on moving back to Australia for the free health care in the near future, but until then, CM is home. 

1 hour ago, BarnicaleBob said:

I'll be moving back to the US around August or September after 10 years in the Chiang Mai area.  But our reason for the move is partly for obtaining free medical service via the VA in the US.  I must admit that all the changing of the Thai immigration rules and the smog did help to confirm our decision to move.   We will not sell our house because I expect to move back to Chiang Mai in about three years if some of the issues have improved.  Meanwhile we will let our maid live in the house and take care of it for us. 

Yes, the age/medical factor (which is now gaining importance with the years).  Hopefully the VA will take good care of you.  I am not a vet, so medicare alone just doesn't cut it.  Of course I prefer to live in Thailand and thought this location would be my last .   Might have to revise.  Good luck back in the States. Maybe write something on this forum after 6 months or a year as I'd like to know how you are "re-adjusting" to the US.

No plan to move yet but I will evaluate the situation if air pollution do not improve in the next few years.

Next year I plan to move away from Chiangmai March-April Cha-Am or Pattaya are my choice as cost of living near the beaches is affordable and I have friends living there.

Given what i see as a definite demand for this option,  I have purchased a 40 million baht beachfront bungalow complex .  Units are first class with top , attentive service people at your beck and call. 50 % discount to any TV member who signs now .  Bickering among guests is not frowned upon as we understand your needs.   And even further discounts for the smoky season up North !  POSTED: April 1, 2020

Archived