Who has plans to move from Chiangmai ?

rumak

I guess it is like Palm Springs in the summer 2 months of unbearable 120 degree weather.

Many do leave during that time, but of course come back.

CM is pretty good the rest of the year I would say just get out of town during the bad air time as much as possible.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I visited Hua Hin two years ago and it impressed me as being a ramshackle place with seaside establishments erected on the cheap and run so, and unsightly beach areas with Pattaya-like concessions. 

Moving there would seem to be a hardship posting. 

Most cities in Asia are worth avoiding for part of the year, in the case of Chiang Mai it`s March and April. But for the rest of the year the city and surrounding countryside is a pretty good place to be. Use those bad months to visit friends elsewhere or head to an attractive coastal location. For example I`ve just been to Khao Lak for a quiet, refreshing break. 

I haven't been in CM too long but this years pollution has been too frightening to ignore. I ride up around the mountains and can see the pace of development is accelerating massively. The trend for the air quality is only going to get worse and can be seen in some of the data others have compiled. I have bought a condo and land in CM but am reconsidering my longer term plans. I will travel down south to assess other places to live but I'm also reviewing the situation with the long term visas. As I'm married to a Thai lady from CM I can see some turmoil in my future decision.... 

2017_2019 AQI.jpg

19 minutes ago, Medicine Man said:

... data ...

looking at the chart, it looks like 2018 was worse. Probably (?) that's for lack of more colors to differentiate the extreme levels reached this year. My experience is that some days in March this year were worse than any day, yet, in April.

i certainly think about relocating ... with a heavy heart.

best wishes for your future, however you create it ????

~o:37;

2 minutes ago, orang37 said:

looking at the chart, it looks like 2018 was worse. Probably (?) that's for lack of more colors to differentiate the extreme levels reached this year. My experience is that some days in March this year were worse than any day, yet, in April.

Unfortunately the data only goes up to the 29th March and you are right, we have had a lot more extreme levels this year. We are 2 weeks further down the line with most days on extreme levels with no rain in sight to end this.. Like you I will have a heavy heart having to relocate ????

23 hours ago, rumak said:

I am pretty sure that many here (TV expats or retirees) are facing this same situation.  About 15 years ago I went to Perth area twice around this time of the year.  Very nice , especially Margaret River area. If I was Australian I would be swimming over soon.   Health care !  Too bad I don't have that luxury.  One can plan for almost everything , but you must have millions or a heck of a monthly income to keep up with medical

emergencies in western countries without REAL coverage.  US is not on that list.  You are a lucky man to have Australia to fall back on when the time comes

I too can go back to Aus , buy a home and then get all the benefits if I stay there . I would miss my home here as there are so many great memories of my new life here . Sure I can go back and get new memories with my wife , but we are happy to go each year for a month holiday .

16 minutes ago, kevvy said:

I too can go back to Aus , buy a home and then get all the benefits if I stay there . I would miss my home here as there are so many great memories of my new life here . Sure I can go back and get new memories with my wife , but we are happy to go each year for a month holiday .

Now I've gone from recently feeling sorry for the drop in the Aussie $ against the baht to feeling jealous

of the guys here who have the option to hop home like a kangaroo if the time/ circumstances ever dictate.

Large, decent weather country with low population and good health care.  I tried to sign up many years ago and they said sorry Yank.... gotta have at least a million bucks, not baht, Mate !  Ha, and many here complain about thailand's "tough" immig policies.     

4 minutes ago, rumak said:

Now I've gone from recently feeling sorry for the drop in the Aussie $ against the baht to feeling jealous

of the guys here who have the option to hop home like a kangaroo if the time/ circumstances ever dictate.

Large, decent weather country with low population and good health care.  I tried to sign up many years ago and they said sorry Yank.... gotta have at least a million bucks, not baht, Mate !  Ha, and many here complain about thailand's "tough" immig policies.     

The Thai Baht is so high and it makes going back alot better for a holiday .I was very sick in Aus and was in hospital for 6 months and had several big operations , after my stay the total cost was$00.00. If I get sick again we will just move back and stay here . 65 this year .

True, this year is the worse than I can remember but most of the year is fine. I say that while giving this entry from the coast of Samui. If it looks like a repeat next year, a trip out of the area will be planned and that other area receives the money spent.

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

OMG:37    a post i understand !  and agree with.  Never say never.   Last year I remember as having hardly any bad days as the rains came early and life was good.  Don't care what the chart above says.  Please let me know where you relocate so I can eliminate it from my list of possible destinations .  ????  ????  Just havin a go at you , not serious.  I also wish everyone a good future (well, one or two exceptions)   lol

thanks for the feedback.  Interesting to see that many are making or at least thinking of contingency plans if this pollution repeats itself.

I have a plot of land in Mae Taeng in a nice district . I also have a larger plot 1 rai in Pak Chong and looking to decide which I will build on to live and perhaps sell or hang on to the other as an investment . Notwithstanding that there is probably more to do in see in Chiang mai area I’m wondering if the smokey conditions are as bad or less there in terms of the whole district. Any feedback/suggestions welcome.

On 4/12/2019 at 4:18 PM, puukao said:

January, way too many people.  Feb, way too many people and cars, March and April, death heat and death air, May, Hot and rainy..

June, July, August, September....  4 months.  might be OK, not the best, but OK.  

October, November, December.....all the people come again, dangerous, too many cars, expensive, and roads are terrible.

Let's be honest, it can be uncomfortably hot from mid-January til mid October! April thru September it's possible to hit 40c+!.

I think many who come here think northern Thailand = cooler weather as if they've found some magical place only to discover that the 'cool season' some years lasts only 2 weeks! 

3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

We are already on the move to Andalusia. Best place ever. Even not more expensive than CM, if you want to have quality food and healthy air without pollution. Many Brits here. 

Thanks for telling us WHERE you are moving to.   I know it is interesting to me to know what alternatives others are choosing.

"3.  Its crossed my mind, but don't have any plans at all"

I lived here before, in the early aughts, lived in Nakiorn Nowhere for a decade.  I associate the smoke season with hot season in Mainland SEAsia, and always have. It’s part of the the seasons. Now saying that, is it worse this year?, is it this worst ever?, will it be the new norm? Could be.

I do not take it that seriously as March, April are my usual travel months. This is when I would be out of the country, in a normal year. And it has always been this way. The last Songkhran I participated in was 05 or 06, here in CM. BTW living in Nakhon Nowhere there was less smoke, but there was smoke, and much hotter temperatures than CM. Right, as in lethally hot. So to me the hot season is when you get out of the country.

This year my nephew graduates in late May from uni, I promised I would make an appearance. I’m leaving in two week and will be gone a month and a half. That is my vacation this year. My usual MO is back home every other year and interstice that with Air Asia to Indonesia, Both of those in March-April. This year just happens to be different.

I can see making a change, but likely for other reasons. My G is on contract and will likely spend two more years working. She is from C.Rai and might want to move back there. However, as she also holds an EU passport, we could easily find ourselves in Portugal, Greece .. what was that, Andalucía Or other places. I keep a folder on my computer exactly for that subject. Now in ten years, age will become more a factor, but until then this is how I look at it.  

The IO asked me if I really want to stay in CM and I have no plan to move soon from here (at the time of my 1st extension last Jan in CM). Then she asked me for a copy of my lease contract, all pages. It seems many expats on extension   move out even before their 2nd extension. That was my guess after my experience at the office.

To me CM is not what it was more than 10 years ago, especially when there was no Chinese tourists. Chinese tourists caused lots of change to this city, more diesel red cars (pollution), more pricy food (the American Pizza raised their prices 50% a few nights ago, from ฿100 to ฿150) and more people moving to CM from other cities with different ideas for business. They help CM become a 2nd BKK in soon future. 

Of course those who live in out skirt of CM are lucky ones, but living in Muang CM is not really pleasant like what it used to be. 

18 minutes ago, The Theory said:

f course those who live in out skirt of CM are lucky ones, but living in Muang CM is not really pleasant like what it used to be. 

I think many that have been around for ten years or more have moved out of Muang center.  Mae Rim, Doi Saket,San Kampaeng, Canal road and down towards Hang Dong.   Lots of nice scenery, land was much cheaper 10 years ago.  Plenty of Farang type restaurants and markets.  Good hospitals. All not that far to get to. What could possibly go wrong? 

AQI  !!!    I live more than 50 km away.   Air a little better but still defintely not healthy if breathing 24/7 for extended periods.

20 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I have a plot of land in Mae Taeng in a nice district . I also have a larger plot 1 rai in Pak Chong and looking to decide which I will build on to live and perhaps sell or hang on to the other as an investment . Notwithstanding that there is probably more to do in see in Chiang mai area I’m wondering if the smokey conditions are as bad or less there in terms of the whole district. Any feedback/suggestions welcome.

Are you Thai?

If not, you own nothing as foreigners cannot legally buy land..

16 hours ago, Oww said:

Let's be honest, it can be uncomfortably hot from mid-January til mid October! April thru September it's possible to hit 40c+!.

I think many who come here think northern Thailand = cooler weather as if they've found some magical place only to discover that the 'cool season' some years lasts only 2 weeks! 

??

Starting a post with "let's be honest" is your way of thinking you are right.

Well, you are not.

Several of the months during that period are rainy and down right cold.

If we are being honest, your post is untrue and basically nonsense.

Archived