Who has plans to move from Chiangmai ?

rumak

6 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Healthcare is free to a big extent. You just have to wait if it is non-urgent. I got a years supply of medication to bring back at next to no cost.

Yes, Australia is plan B if the smog crisis does not sort itself out or maybe a beach in Thailand if I could sell of my wife's land.

going to take me some time to sell our land as well ....

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/10/2019 at 10:23 PM, brommers said:

We have pollution proofed our house and bought a shipload of masks

...I see no reason to leave what for me is a very enjoyable city.

Wherever you go to there will be problems. Air pollution is but one, and a very common one in most cities on the planet. So I prefer to respond positively to the circumstances rather than scuttling away to somewhere else, only to discover that there are just as many issues there.

I'm all for positivity, but this is more like the ostrich head in the sand approach.

-it isn't possible to "pollution proof" a house, nor are masks 100% effective. N95s allow 5% (at least) of the pollution right into your lungs, at best.

-air pollution may be common, but having the most dangerous air pollution in the world isn't common.

Calling it "just another problem" may bring you some comfort, but it's illusory.

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Mountain biking and hiking is exceptional in Chiang Mai (smog allowing).

Never found anywhere in the world better.

If I wasn't sick, I'd be out almost every day.

So when does the smog "allow" you to partake in strenuous outdoor activity? Anytime in the last 5 months?

If it weren't for the pollution, do you think you would be sick?

3 minutes ago, Happystance said:

So when does the smog "allow" you to partake in strenuous outdoor activity? Anytime in the last 5 months?

If it weren't for the pollution, do you think you would be sick?

I can't wee ....... do you think pollution could have caused that?

As for exercise, was hiking and biking in the jungle and mountains 3-4x a week until April the 5th, when I became ill. Now I'm house/hospital bound.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I can't wee ....... do you think pollution could have caused that?

As for exercise, was hiking and biking in the jungle and mountains 3-4x a week until April the 5th, when I became ill. Now I'm house/hospital bound.

So you were hiking and biking in the smog and then you got sick...

And now you ask if pollution might have affected your health..

How could it not?

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Mountain biking and hiking is exceptional in Chiang Mai (smog allowing).

Never found anywhere in the world better.

If I wasn't sick, I'd be out almost every day.

plus 1 ......

IMG_1439.JPG

3 minutes ago, Happystance said:

So you were hiking and biking in the smog and then you got sick...

And now you ask if pollution might have affected your health..

How could it not?

Would have though smog would damage respiratory system, not bladder and prostate.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Would have though smog would damage respiratory system, not bladder and prostate.

were you on your bicycle performing an act other than bicycling recently ?

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The circulatory and respiratory systems are first to suffer the effects, and are intrinsically linked to every organ, and to view them as somehow separate and isolated is foolhardy.

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

just a thought :  meds like  antihistamines can drastically reduce the ability to urinate.  

2 minutes ago, Happystance said:

I gave up on CM in January and killed 2+ years of plans in favor of healthier air.

Substitute the letters CM  with the initials of my last 2 girlfriends and that statement would still hold true

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Never previously (to can't wee problem) taken any meds in my life.

like you imply.... almost surely a bladder/ prostate problem.   If you post in the health forum you will get

serious warnings about seeking "medical attention".   That is usually a last resort for me (as you?)...

but sounds like finger up the butt time might be coming soon .   Dr Tawadchai....Loi Kroa clinic is great

( well known by older expats,  prepare for a bit of a wait at the clinic ! )  

Now (May 12th) is the first day where CM seems to have yellow air again.

So the smoky season lasted another two weeks longer.

Reading in another TV thread that someone got denied again at BKK and seeing the THB racing off again, I have already three reasons to just accelerate packing my stuff once I come back.

Been there and done that already

Went stir crazy after a couple years. Started traveling to other cities, bangers, patts, onto vietnam and cambo. No regrets. If your not tied to changmai for some reason, cant see the need of staying put when moving around the region is so cheap.

Smog in chiang mai sucks a hood deal of the year. They need to outlaw these fools burning trash and crops all day.

18 hours ago, rumak said:

political correctness or political incorrectness,  choose your poison.  As TTUp says in his post above yours,

I just prefer quiet out of the way places.   Not many hassles for me 70 km away from CM,  and health care is very reasonable where i live.   BUT,  no escaping the months of pollution ....

Yes we are actually about the most none political people around ????

But we knew what usually follows when a country goes down this road. We gave it 2 years to see if it was just another flash Junta overthrow

like many in the past but after 2 years could see this one was different.

After 4+ Junta years I think we had it right. The fact that the air quality has gotten so much worse is a side benefit we left

But as I said we do still go to Thailand 2-3 months a year but prefer it now (doing just Nov-Jan months) as we are also outdoors types.

2 hours ago, mania said:

After 4+ Junta years I think we had it right. The fact that the air quality has gotten so much worse is a side benefit we left

The air is more concerning at this time then the Junta. Yet it goes hand in hand with the Junta as well. Friends sent me photos of Mon Cham and you could still clearly see smoke in the pictures. This is May now and we still have smoke. My health is important to me. After coming back to Australia my wife and her sinus problems and migraine headaches have totally disappeared. I put it down to clean air. We have a house, rice fields, and my whole wife's life locked up in CM. My wife is suggesting we sell off the rice fields and buy a house down south near a beach. We have a place to go to in Australia. I cannot believe all these plans need now to be made just because of smoke.

16 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Friends sent me photos of Mon Cham and you could still clearly see smoke in the pictures. This is May now and we still have smoke. .........

........ My wife is suggesting we sell off the rice fields and buy a house down south near a beach.

Yes a friend of mine who also cycles sent me this from this morning (Mon May 13th) on his ride up Suthep...as you can see still smoky for sure

Like you we also have a house ( Not in Chiang Mai where we sold our condo) While it is further north it still has the bad air almost as bad as CM

But it is fine during the winter months we visit. I imagine if you sold & lived near beach of course on shore winds would give you better air...

Untitled.jpg

On 4/12/2019 at 5:45 PM, rumak said:

I am pretty sure that many here (TV expats or retirees) are facing this same situation.  About 15 years ago I went to Perth area twice around this time of the year.  Very nice , especially Margaret River area. If I was Australian I would be swimming over soon.   Health care !  Too bad I don't have that luxury.  One can plan for almost everything , but you must have millions or a heck of a monthly income to keep up with medical

emergencies in western countries without REAL coverage.  US is not on that list.  You are a lucky man to have Australia to fall back on when the time comes

We (my Thai wife - of more than 20 years) have left. We will not return to live in CM. Reason(s) SMOG & Visa changes.

There is fallout, we love our neighbours - Largely we have not been there for the last three years (Only a few moths each year). Circumstances caused us to arrive in April this year, the smog was unbearable. It HAS affected my health.

We own our home (For the pedantic - it is in my wife's name of course) and at this time, we will hang on. It is a fully modern 2brm home, tastefully refurbished, with all (Aussie amenities). on 800sqm of land. Village life at it's best. Who knows, if pollution is brought under control and visa requirements become favourable (again) we may move back one day (I very much doubt it though.)

We are now living in Western Australia, "Rumak" things have changed in recent years, see this page " "Retire in Australia

Access to our (Have to say, brilliant) health care system from $US49.00 per month (Public hospital system) ($AUD69) Link: HEALTH

Australia is somewhat complicated and needs research. I live here, FOR ME, it is MUCH cheaper to live here than CM.

The following table summarises the type of OVHC (overseas visitor health cover) products offered by Australian funds and the costs for ‘Basic’ and ‘Top’ cover in 2011:

NOTE this is an example and there will be changes in 8 years, but it will be only "inflation" related increase(s). As this is how our Govt. works. The premiums are yearly, in $AUD and are for access to our "Public Hospital system". (Which is all I have ever used in my life.) Shown is the BASIC & TOP COVER -  Full details here

Hope this post is helpful?

ecblank.gif
Basic (per year) – single person
Top (per year) – single person
Medibank Private $1267 -only for a few visas incl 457, all services covered by Medicare, medical $2499 – 70Visitors cover - all services covered by Medicare, private and public hosp ($4247 85Visitors cover)
Australian Unity $1015 Budget - private hosp, day surgery, ICU $1850 – Visa 457 comprehensive cover -private & public hosp; ICU; ambulance; psych)
HBF $1274 – Standard O/S Visitors Cover -shared accom, hospital + pharmacy, $2899 – Comprehensive O/S Visitors Cover - all hospital procedures incl drs, ambulance, psych care
HBA (BUPA) $1022- Classic - hospital, medical, ambulance, no excess $2738 – Platinum - hospital, medical, ambulance, repatriation, no excess, choice of dr, heaps of extras
Average $1144 per annum $2496 per annum

5 hours ago, MalandLee said:

We (my Thai wife - of more than 20 years) have left. We will not return to live in CM. Reason(s) SMOG & Visa changes.

There is fallout, we love our neighbours - Largely we have not been there for the last three years (Only a few moths each year). Circumstances caused us to arrive in April this year, the smog was unbearable. It HAS affected my health.

We own our home (For the pedantic - it is in my wife's name of course) and at this time, we will hang on. It is a fully modern 2brm home, tastefully refurbished, with all (Aussie amenities). on 800sqm of land. Village life at it's best. Who knows, if pollution is brought under control and visa requirements become favourable (again) we may move back one day (I very much doubt it though.)

We are now living in Western Australia, "Rumak" things have changed in recent years, see this page " "Retire in Australia

Access to our (Have to say, brilliant) health care system from $US49.00 per month (Public hospital system) ($AUD69) Link: HEALTH

Australia is somewhat complicated and needs research. I live here, FOR ME, it is MUCH cheaper to live here than CM.

The following table summarises the type of OVHC (overseas visitor health cover) products offered by Australian funds and the costs for ‘Basic’ and ‘Top’ cover in 2011:

NOTE this is an example and there will be changes in 8 years, but it will be only "inflation" related increase(s). As this is how our Govt. works. The premiums are yearly, in $AUD and are for access to our "Public Hospital system". (Which is all I have ever used in my life.) Shown is the BASIC & TOP COVER -  Full details here

Hope this post is helpful?

ecblank.gif
Basic (per year) – single person
Top (per year) – single person
Medibank Private $1267 -only for a few visas incl 457, all services covered by Medicare, medical $2499 – 70Visitors cover - all services covered by Medicare, private and public hosp ($4247 85Visitors cover)
Australian Unity $1015 Budget - private hosp, day surgery, ICU $1850 – Visa 457 comprehensive cover -private & public hosp; ICU; ambulance; psych)
HBF $1274 – Standard O/S Visitors Cover -shared accom, hospital + pharmacy, $2899 – Comprehensive O/S Visitors Cover - all hospital procedures incl drs, ambulance, psych care
HBA (BUPA) $1022- Classic - hospital, medical, ambulance, no excess $2738 – Platinum - hospital, medical, ambulance, repatriation, no excess, choice of dr, heaps of extras
Average $1144 per annum $2496 per annum

thanks for sharing your post !   From what I read on the website :  http://www.skillclear.co.uk/australia/retirementVisa.asp      I don't see where someone can just "retire" to Australia without meeting some pretty hefty financial requirements.   Like 500 thousand aussie $.   

Maybe I have it wrong but when I asked many years ago the list of things they wanted was WAY too much.

If I was an Australian citizen I would surely consider moving there.    One thing I also remember is the cost of a bottle of water ( ten years ago ).  Almost pissed in my pants   haha   But the new houses popping up south of Perth were only around 70 k dollars at that time !

Again,  thanks for the info.  Yes, health insurance does seem reasonable .   

I am cashing in my chips and getting out of Thailand entirely. These obstacles to being able to stay here are simply getting ridiculous. Mandatory Health insurance, money locked up in a Thai bank or months of proof of monthly income. What's next for long term Expat residents? The government really don't want us here long term that's now pretty obvious so for me I will simply tell Thailand stuff it I'm outta here. Next stop either Cambodia or Vietnam.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 minutes ago, JTXR said:

A slightly tangential question from a BKK resident:  is the air pollution during burning season as bad in Chiang Rai as it is in Chiang Mai?  The same in all of the north?

chiang rai is the same or even worse than chiang mai. if your health is important for you, avoid the north from end of january till to the end of may ...

I don’t stay March and April and now that’s it’s stinking hot ....I might have to include May.

I have to stay in Thailand for relationship reasons...but where else would you live?

On 5/13/2019 at 8:20 PM, rumak said:

thanks for sharing your post !   From what I read on the website :  http://www.skillclear.co.uk/australia/retirementVisa.asp      I don't see where someone can just "retire" to Australia without meeting some pretty hefty financial requirements.   Like 500 thousand aussie $.   

Maybe I have it wrong but when I asked many years ago the list of things they wanted was WAY too much.

If I was an Australian citizen I would surely consider moving there.    One thing I also remember is the cost of a bottle of water ( ten years ago ).  Almost pissed in my pants   haha   But the new houses popping up south of Perth were only around 70 k dollars at that time !

Again,  thanks for the info.  Yes, health insurance does seem reasonable .   

I’ve just come from there.

i can’t see how Australia could be cheaper than Thailand.

Its first world of course and the prices reflect that.

Beaches are pristine and natural beauty is great....but if you wanted to be near the beach on the Gold Coast your rent would be $400 to $500 a week AUS....I would say prices generally are three times that of Thailand ...except cars.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:14 AM, JTXR said:

tangential

thanks for the new addition to my vocabulary.   smart guys you city folk.   yes, chiangrai can be even worse than chiangmai.... or vice versa.   Large areas of the North are affected.... but some years are worse and longer than other years.   This year was a doozy ( or dizzy if you prefer)

1 hour ago, mikey88 said:

I don’t stay March and April and now that’s it’s stinking hot ....I might have to include May.

I have to stay in Thailand for relationship reasons...but where else would you live?

that is the question !   I am not one of the "move to south america "crowd...or even a nearby Asian country.

As for farang countries...forget about it.  Too expensive and too ............(fill in the blanks)

Pretty much live without problems here with good infrastructure (even in the countryside where I live)

And for me food, electric, water, service people, etc are cheaper than anywhere else I can imagine. People are nice .   BUT...... pollution big problem.  And yes, pretty darn hot sometimes in the afternoon. I guess the

saying nothing is perfect is true for those without a few million (dollars !)

Archived