Hua Hin beach vendors: No more fleecing tourists or dual pricing

webfact

Hua Hin beach vendors: No more fleecing tourists or dual pricing

9pm.jpg

Picture: Talk News Online

Hua Hin's beach vendors have been told to stop fleecing customers, allow people to sit down for a charge without having to buy food and display all their prices clearly.

These must be in Arabic numerals - a clear sign that Thai numbers are not allowed.

Thai numerals are sometimes used in Thailand in attempts to fool foreigners in dual pricing scams, notes Thaivisa. 

Yesterday the Hua Hin district chief Thanon Phanpheephat and the local mayor met 22 vendors at city hall for a meeting. This followed the furor the other week when a family posted online after being charged more than 2,000 baht for food after being told they could sit down for free. 

Everyone agreed the new rules to be followed at Songkran and beyond as follows:

1. Vendors may charge patrons 30 baht for the whole day to sit down - there is no requirement to order food. 

2. Fair and appropriate prices must be clearly posted on sign boards. The menus must tally with the signs.

3. All prices and services must be clearly itemized in Arabic numerals only. 

Fines of 10,000 baht have been mentioned for violators of the new rules. 

Old rules now defunct stated that vendors could allow people to sit down for free, and then charge them for food and drink that they expected customers to pay. 

Source: Talk News Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-11

Here’s how to get rid of the stream of vendors while relaxing on a rented beach chair: 1) Don’t sit at the first row of chairs which is more accessible to the walking vendors 2) Wear sun glasses to hide eye contact 3) Always wear ear-phones pretending you are listening to music and can’ hear them ( bugs the hell out of them) 4) When all else fails, fluctuate a big mass of gas ????.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thai numerals are sometimes used in Thailand in attempts to fool foreigners in dual pricing scams, notes Thaivisa. 

Like at Thailand's National Parks?  :whistling:

All I seem to be reading lately is repeated news!  News that has been repeated month after month, year after year!  Is there anybody in charge who is even a little bit capable of locking-up the perps, because they don't want to listen.  

When it all goes tits-up, and there are no tourists left to scam, who's going to take the rap!

4 hours ago, toenail said:

Here’s how to get rid of the stream of vendors while relaxing on a rented beach chair: 1) Don’t sit at the first row of chairs which is more accessible to the walking vendors 2) Wear sun glasses to hide eye contact 3) Always wear ear-phones pretending you are listening to music and can’ hear them ( bugs the hell out of them) 4) When all else fails, fluctuate a big mass of gas ????.

1) doesn't work as I am more pum pui and require more space so they can sneak easy though the rows.

2) I always do, they keep standing until you react

3) you want to hear the sea splashing to relax not BOOM BOOM 

4) That's a great Idea, especially my tummy reacts very sensible on Thai cucumbers, just imagine how she

massages my feet right in the firing line when I am honking the horn... I can turn the beach in a minute into a

Concentration camp.. 

But then I have to buy the cucumber salad for 2000 baht???

14 hours ago, Moti24 said:

All I seem to be reading lately is repeated news!  News that has been repeated month after month, year after year!  Is there anybody in charge who is even a little bit capable of locking-up the perps, because they don't want to listen.  

When it all goes tits-up, and there are no tourists left to scam, who's going to take the rap!

But Thais believe there's an endless stream of tourists to scam... fleece them, they're gone & tomorrow a whole new batch to scam...

19 hours ago, toenail said:

I wear ear plugs in gogo bars because I don't want to buy any girl lady drinks.  

7 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Next episode please, shift away some of the agressive poney-horse ride vendors (with the horse poo), who are aggresssively posted right at the entrance of the beach. Thank you.

(assuming they are still around ? ? )

That's an easy one:

You make a shocked face, freaking out and run with the words 'AAAHHHH! I am scared of horses, they are so big!'

to the next sun chair on the beach.

Mission completed, Vendor stunned for seconds.. 

On 4/11/2019 at 6:51 PM, shy coconut said:

Are you saying that the National parks had a dual pricing system?

I have been here for a while, yet had never heard of such nefarious affairs!

Sarcasm,......

50 Bahts for Thais.   300 Bahts for Tourist. That's normal in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the beach yesterday, got a sun lounger and ordered a couple of drinks while there (no food). The bill included 100 baht charge for the chair. I said to the lady behind the counter "you're not allowed to charge 100 baht anymore". A very nervous smile followed, there were other loungers (tourists) within earshot, and she called over the boss. When I told him the police said he cannot charge that much for the chair he just kept repeating, "thank you boss, thank you boss, thank you boss". I didn't make a big deal of it, because I actually like this particular place, their food prices are very fair, and the boys that attend the chairs friendly. Life goes on in LOS.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived