BANGKOK
kuzmabruk

Safe-T-Cut Tripping Too Often

I have a Safe-T-Cut PR40-63Amp in my condo, off the main line.  I live in Jomtien at Chateau Dale and we have decent electrical service to our buildings/condos.

It is tripping very often (once every 1-2 weeks).

I don't understand why it is tripping so often.  There seems that there is no way to disable it and my real problem (as I see it) is when it trips my power if off until I return (sometimes days later) and reset the unit.  Freezer is defrosted onto the floor.

Not sure what help it is giving me.  Can't seem to understand whether I really need it or not.

Maybe, I need to find an electrician here in Pattaya/Jomtien that knows their stuff and can hopefully speak English (ha!).

Any help would be appreciated.

Our electrical guy .... Crossy will help answer your question. wait for his response.

Edited by steven100

The OP typed. 'It is tripping very often (once every 1-2 weeks).'

I think you also have to answer the question, "has it always tripped?"

If the answer is 'yes' then it could be a faulty installation from the start.

If the answer is "no", then it could be a genuine fault.

You could also install one of those Internet of Things (IoT) wifi switches and a sensor to tell you when the power has failed or room temperature is high, and sènd you a message. Then get one of the staff from 'We Are Number One' to go and reset the Safety Cut. :)

There's a aircon shop near the cornor of Jontimen road and Theppasit rd. They seem to do a fair aircon job, but may know of an electrician. Take a photo of the Safety Cut with you to show them. Emphasise that the electrician must know about SafetyCuts and has the tools Crossy recommends.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Crossy, thank you and yes the setting I am using is 30mA (highest) and unfortunately there is no disable/bypass, which would be useful when I go out of town.

Carlyai, thank you and it has always tripped from day one.  You are probably right that it could be a faulty installation from day one.  The IoT idea is a good one. Thanks.  I will visit the aircon shop on Thappraya near the corner of Thepprasit when I return after Songkran.

Do either of you have any experience with Whole House Surge Protectors?  Such as the Intermatic Smart Guard IG2240-IMSK ( https://www.intermatic.com/-/media/inriver/10230-11160.ashx/Surge Family Brochure )?

We do get a lot of surges here and I have already fried a few items that were protected by Belkin surge protectors, but the Belkin ones did not protect the items.

Appreciate your feedback and help.

Thanks in advance.

55 minutes ago, kuzmabruk said:

Carlyai, thank you and it has always tripped from day one.  You are probably right that it could be a faulty installation from day one. 

It isn't a probable faulty installation. It is faulty either the RCBO or the wiring.

While you are in the building set it to the most sensitive, if it is tripping immediately that is a data point, if it only trips when an appliance turns on that is another data point. Remote diagnostics are not easy and without data even more difficult.

Hi, have safe-T myself.

one unit has a button for bypass, but a newer unit does not have that option anymore

However, there is a method to disable the Safe-T: pull the square block RCBO with yellow test button,  a little out. You dis-engage the Safe-T function but it will not trip. (use when going out, but engage when coming home as stated above)

also to discover which equipment/circuit is faulty/causing the trip, you can start with all circuit breakers out.

engage Safe-T and one by one switch the circuit breakers in. Safe-T will trip at the moment you switch on the faulty circuit, be it that it looks like your tripping is not permanent but haphazard which makes this method a little time consuming 🙂

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

As above, check what sensitivity it is set to and adjust to the highest value (30mA). If it has a "bypass" position you may wish to set that when you go away, BUT you must set back to 30mA when you return as it completely disables the protection from death.

If you still get random tripping you are going to need a man with an insulation tester and the knowledge to use it.

Also maybe consider that the unit itself is possibly faulty. I had similar issues with a "Bi-Tek" unit regularly dropping out. Replaced and end of problem. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ardsong said:

However, there is a method to disable the Safe-T: pull the square block RCBO with yellow test button,  a little out. You dis-engage the Safe-T function but it will not trip. (use when going out, but engage when coming home as stated above)

My initial reaction is that cannot be a safe thing to do.  If it creates a loose connection, that would induce arcing and potential for a fire.  I cannot imagine where that would disengage the RCD element.  Do you have any support for this "method"?

47 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

My initial reaction is that cannot be a safe thing to do.  If it creates a loose connection, that would induce arcing and potential for a fire.  I cannot imagine where that would disengage the RCD element.  Do you have any support for this "method"?

The safety cut out will need replacing. You will need to get a new one from your local electric shop. To save any aggro just pull the whole safety cut out out. It will work perfectly well if out.

They have redesigned the pins on the back of same so you might have to buy a whole new set up. (Mains switch on the left hand side as well) cost for that is around 1.500bt. Have enclosed a snap of same with safety cut out removed. It'll still work just as good as before but you don't have the fine cut out. But your circuit breakers will do their job as before. 

Mine has been out for months, have new one but haven't got round to changing it yet.

IMGP0025.JPG

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

Mine has been out for months, have new one but haven't got round to changing it yet.

Hopefully you will get around to it before you or a member of your family dies from a faulty appliance with no ground or a direct contact with a live supply (cuts the cable on the hedge trimmer).

• Like 2

Safe-t-cut; in my experience, is a very reliable item.  Mine was installed in about 1977 (just starting to make) and still working fine.  Remove and you lose the protection they provide (much faster trip/low current than a breaker - which can be the difference between life and death).  I suspect it has saved my life at least twice.  In Thailand, with bare feet on cermatic floors that are often wet, with sweat if not actual water, it is a very important safety item.

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Hopefully you will get around to it before you or a member of your family dies from a faulty appliance with no ground or a direct contact with a live supply (cuts the cable on the hedge trimmer).

I checked with my electric shop and he told me these Safety cut outs go all the time. They will work just as good without same providing you have the correct circuit breakers installed. By taking the safety cut out out it doesn't alter the set up only the fine surge you might get. Everything will work as before.

N/B I don't have a problem with my electric that's because everything was changed by me using all UK MK bit's (But I did buy the Thai safety cut out the only thing I have had go wrong) Did that some 13 years ago when we got the house. New S/C out is only 2 years old.

Don't have any electric goodies for garden I have a Thai wife that's her job, she uses snippers hands for everything.  

Whatever the OP dose that's up to him. But until he gets a new S/Cut out put in he can get away with the thing out. He might if the new one has the same pin set up??? just be able to push the new one in.

Edited by fredob43