Dutch motorist becomes first fatality of Kanchanaburi's 'Seven Dangerous Days'

webfact

Dutch motorist becomes first fatality of Kanchanaburi's 'Seven Dangerous Days'

By The Nation

828a255b10a0eac203875df3d53c92a8.jpeg

A Dutch tourist was killed when his car hit the rear of a trailer truck in Kanchanaburi early Thursday, police said.

Officials said Roi Fanh Veeland (not official spelling) became the first casualty of Kanchanaburi's road-accident monitoring period during the Songkran holidays, called the “Seven Dangerous Days” of Songkran.

Police said the accident happened at an intersection on the Tha Muang-Kanchanaburi road in Moo 9 village in Tambon Wang Sala of Tha Muang district at 3am.

Police said the Dutch tourist's car hit the rear of the trailer truck that was about to clear the intersection. The impact broke his neck, legs and several ribs.

Police said Veeland entered Thailand on April 9 and he rented a house in Tambon Tha Lor in Tha Muang.

Police said the traffic lights at the intersection were in the warning flashing orange mode. The Dutch man was apparently driving at a fast speed and did not notice the rear of the truck.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30367535

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-11

Just now, geoffbezoz said:

RIP to the Dutch guy and no doubt the Thai trailers rear lights were not working as per usual. Good the Thais had a foreigner to blame for the first fatality of the season.

Just now, madmen said:

Thats a built up area. No way he was doing the speed limit

The impact broke his neck, legs and several ribs.

Could this happen at a slow speed? Or was the truck reversing at a break neck speed?

Just now, mercman24 said:

according to what i have read, it should be the 9 deadly days a squite  a few fatals 2 days before, sorry they dont count

Of course, it HAS to be the Thais that are at fault.

????

19 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

RIP to the Dutch guy and no doubt the Thai trailers rear lights were not working as per usual. Good the Thais had a foreigner to blame for the first fatality of the season.

Er, ok. No doubt the Dutch drivers headlights were not on either.

8 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

More likely there was no or only one light on the rear of the truck. He not being here long and use to European light requirements just did not see it.

Regrettably, under those circumstances he should never have driven on these dangerous roads. To miss a huge truck, even in total darkness, needs some talent.

Speculation on the basis of balance of probability... 

The deceased had a broken neck

A Lorry trailer was hit at night

The accident occurred at 3am

Having lived in Thailand for a number of years the assumption could be made that the trailer was poorly lit or had no lights, the deceased was speeding and had possibly had a drink. 

Of course we'll never know any of these - but we can speculate. Has anyone seen a well lit trailer at night? Could someone's neck be broken in a low speed accident? How many accidents occur at 3am in Thailand which are not drink related?

RIP - I hope his exit was painless. 

Saw the truck leave the intersection thought he would cut behind it only to find it had a trailer. 

Even if the lights were functioning they are not easy to see from the side and ones brain has to process the image and make sense of it. RIP

On 4/11/2019 at 8:52 AM, geoffbezoz said:

The injuries are more suspicious for not wearing a seat belt which costs in the Netherlands 140 EUR per person.

Why should you wear them in Thailand? Just to make clear, it is proven that at a speed of 30Km/h you can have a good chance to die on Impact. 

I really like how much Farangs blame the Thais when the :hit-the-fan:

and then they come, none is wearing a seat belt, none only a little percentage wearing a Helmet.. And how many % are leaving the pub after a few beers on their own Motorbike or Car?

Point with one finger towards others but realize the other 4 fingers pointing towards yourself.

I agree the Truckers here are no Angels but I would estimate that at least 95% of all lights on trucks are working. 

Just now, See Will said:

The injuries are more suspicious for not wearing a seat belt which costs in the Netherlands 140 EUR per person.

Why should you wear them in Thailand? Just to make clear, it is proven that at a speed of 30Km/h you can have a good chance to die on Impact. 

and then they come, none is wearing a seat belt, none only a little percentage wearing a Helmet.. And how many % are leaving the pub after a few beers on their own Motorbike or Car?

Point with one finger towards others but realize the other 4 fingers pointing towards yourself.

I agree the Truckers here are no Angels but I would estimate that at least 95% of all lights on trucks are working. 

Wouldn't get you to do my election polling estimates in that case then.

9 minutes ago, See Will said:

Absolutely correct!  I guarantee you will not receive much 'likes' to your post.

Farang should NOT be allowed to drive here without doing an intensive thai style driving course . These people drive with their brains switched to a different mode . I  have driven here for 25 years but drive extremely defensively and with full alertness . Anything can happen at any time and you can die any mistake or none . RIP Dutchman .

2 hours ago, ravip said:

Absolutely correct!  I guarantee you will not receive much 'likes' to your post.

Really.

Please post about the "absolutely correct"

Perhaps you have some information about this unfortunate death that only you and "See Will" know about?

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Really.

Please post about the "absolutely correct"

Perhaps you have some information about this unfortunate death that only you and "See Will" know about?

How could anyone crash on to a huge truck with such intensity?

Assume the truck had no lights at all - just because it was driven by a Thai. Then, should one assume similarly, that the car and the toad was in total darkness? Would a car driver with his head lights on miss a huge truck? A bicycle,  motorcycle or a pedestrian I can imagine. 

Yes. ALL deaths due to road accidents are unfortunate.  Without ANY exceptions, according to my book. 

9 minutes ago, ravip said:

How could anyone crash on to a huge truck with such intensity?

Assume the truck had no lights at all - just because it was driven by a Thai. Then, should one assume similarly, that the car and the toad was in total darkness? Would a car driver with his head lights on miss a huge truck? A bicycle,  motorcycle or a pedestrian I can imagine. 

Yes. ALL deaths due to road accidents are unfortunate.  Without ANY exceptions, according to my book. 

So it is a vicious unfounded assertion?

Has anyone explained to you (and your Thai apologist confederates) what an intellectual skid mark might be?

Archived