Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Hahaha the Dons will be rag tag bag of misfits this season if this goes ahead..

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/which-ex-afl-players-will-fill-in-for-essendon-in-the-nab-challenge/story-fni5f22o-1227222652783

Throw in Ben Cousins and Daniel Kerr just to draw a line in.. the.. err.. boundry line tongue.png

Behave yourself please Mr Smith.

That's no way to speak about a Brownlow medalist and a runner uptongue.png

• Like 2

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/which-ex-afl-players-will-fill-in-for-essendon-in-the-nab-challenge/story-fni5f22o-1227222652783

Throw in Ben Cousins and Daniel Kerr just to draw a line in.. the.. err.. boundry line tongue.png

It will be good to see Ryan O Keefe back in the firsts

It will be good to see Ryan O Keefe back in the firsts

Not sure if the Crows would be too pleased, remember how touchy they were about Dangerfield :P

I heard Warwick Capper was back in training, but not sure if that was related. Apparently Straunie turned down an offer as well despite Emperor McGuire endorsing the move.

• Like 1

The old saints gang are back together for the Dons/saints game with Goddard, Gwilt and Jones all lining up for the Dons. Gwilt and Jones had both reached thier use by dates and we're cut by the saints last year.

The old saints gang are back together for the Dons/saints game with Goddard, Gwilt and Jones all lining up for the Dons. Gwilt and Jones had both reached thier use by dates and we're cut by the saints last year.

Milne has also been approached and could line up also with his ex team mates along with Kozitski
  • Like 1

Rumour has it that Patrick Dangerfield may line up in cats colours next year, reports of big money to lure the out of contract player at the end of the year.

Yep

That rumour gets stronger by the week and the season hasn't even started yet.

Chief executive Steve Rosich says the Fremantle community will not be neglected when the Freo Dockers move to their new training base at Cockburn Central West in 2017.

Plans are well advanced for Freo to move from their current training and administration facility at Fremantle Oval to a new purpose-built facility at Cockburn Central West, located approximately 15km from their current base.

Construction is planned to begin in April with a view to Freo moving there during the 2017 AFL season ahead of playing home games at the new 60,000-seat Perth Stadium in Burswood, which is due to be completed by the start of 2018.

Rosich told AFL.com.au that the move to Cockburn Central West was too good to pass up and the club is currently progressing through a number of options to maintain a presence of some description at Fremantle Oval.

"The opportunity at Cockburn Central West is significant because of the nature of the facility," Rosich said.

"The community facility that will house us as an elite football team in scope and scale is far greater than we could have ever dreamed here at Fremantle Oval.

"But we will look to have an ongoing presence at Fremantle Oval. We have worked with a consultant over the last 12 months to look at different possibilities and arrangements here at Fremantle Oval that will be great for the Fremantle community and also the football club and our members and supporters."

The move to the new Perth Stadium in 2018 will also provide a challenge for the club. Rosich sits on the working group that is currently dealing with the WA government on football's move from Domain Stadium (Subiaco Oval) to the new stadium and the commercial arrangements involved.

Rosich said the group, which is chaired by AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan, was intimately aware of the issues that have occurred in South Australia with the move from AAMI Stadium to Adelaide Oval last year.

Port Adelaide suffered a $2.5 million loss in 2014 despite record crowds due, in part, to an unsatisfactory stadium deal.

Rosich said any fears of such problems with the new Perth Stadium were unfounded.

"We've looked at it and we certainly understand that arrangement (in Adelaide)," Rosich said.

"Particularly as the AFL is part of our negotiating team. But it's a very different situation here.

"It's a new build. It's not a renovation. There are not the historical ties with cricket to this stadium like there was in South Australia and there's a benchmark model already here in Western Australia at Domain Stadium.

"Albeit there might be some differences, we expect that it will closely mirror that at the new Perth Stadium."

The move to the new stadium can't come quick enough with Freo headed towards another record membership this year.

More than 47,000 members are already signed on the back of last season's record (48,777), but the capacity of Domain Stadium (43,500) limits the expansion of the club's membership.

• Like 1

Country footy in WA.

To be honest, I'm surprised there are not more of these cases.

There are some real thugs playing amateur footy who use it as

as an excuse to belt people. BTW, I'm not saying this is the case here.

Collie footballer Matt Blackford found guilty of on-field assault

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/collie-footballer-matt-blackford-found-guilty-of-onfield-assault-20150219-13jp51.html

• Like 2

Country footy in WA.

To be honest, I'm surprised there are not more of these cases.

There are some real thugs playing amateur footy who use it as

as an excuse to belt people. BTW, I'm not saying this is the case here.

Collie footballer Matt Blackford found guilty of on-field assault

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/collie-footballer-matt-blackford-found-guilty-of-onfield-assault-20150219-13jp51.html

Yeah I've seen a few of these cases, mostly in (country) Rugby, where this happens a lot. Don't remember anyone being locked up but the thought of gaol time for the one going out doing the belting is enough to turn him to jelly. Usually a community service order and hefty fine is a pretty good deterrent for them to change their 'style'

I think a lot of these potential cases don't eventuate due to the 'what happens on the field stays on the field' ethos...

• Like 1

I bet chooka wishes he could get transferred to the Sporting Integrity Unit of the Vic Pol ;)

Will be interesting to see the result of this and what it is David King's alleged to have done...

• Like 1

I can see some merit in this gang.

I'm also a long time believer that there shouldn't be any

compensation in losing a player.

Your thoughts?

Push to block top six from signing free agents

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/push-to-block-top-six-from-signing-free-agents-20150222-13lk45.html

Ken Hinkley must be suffering from heat exhaustion after their pre-season camp in Dubai, free agency is never going to work "in reverse", not unless those "south of the border" clubs get big injections of dinero.

Compensation picks are probably the only thing that works when the ghetto teams lose a big name. I do think that the compensation pick formula needs to be fixed though.

Should the Top 6 be locked out? I don't believe so. Top 4? Possible.

Top 4 sounds better than 6.

I don't think there should be any restrictions on clubs signing free agents. They already have the salary cap in place.

Players with experience should be allowed to :

a. Increase their earnings

b. Have a chance at a premiership

Clubs need to make themselves appealing propositions for players

• Like 1

Another option put forward.

All I know, is that I don't agree with free agency the way it is at the minute.

Perhaps if WCE had picked up Garry Abblett or Buddy, I might have a different viewpointtongue.png

Battling clubs may benefit from six-year free agency qualification: Kelly

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-24/six-years-and-free-kelly

• Like 1

Another option put forward.

All I know, is that I don't agree with free agency the way it is at the minute.

Perhaps if WCE had picked up Garry Abblett or Buddy, I might have a different viewpointtongue.png

Battling clubs may benefit from six-year free agency qualification: Kelly

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-24/six-years-and-free-kelly

6 years seems more reasonable.

We would see a lot of player movement and i reckon for sure we would see more movement to lower placed clubs.

• Like 1

Lyon-Cometti-24FEB.jpg

Ross Lyon opens up to Dennis Cometti at Freo's Season Launch on Tuesday.

Senior coach Ross Lyon opened up to football commentator Dennis Cometti at Tuesday's season launch. Below are some of the key points from his

1. Michael Walters could captain Freo one day

Yep, you heard right. The footballer who was once banished from the club for failing to meet the standards required to play AFL football has grown so much, one of the best coaches in the league rates him highly enough to suggest he could lead an entire club. “He’s a great trainer and a great leader, it is possible,” Lyon said.

2. Nat Fyfe went from four votes last year to a unanimous leadership group choice in 2015

Ross revealed that every player on the list chose Nat Fyfe in this year’s leadership group vote. It goes to show just how fast the brilliant 23-year-old is developing.

3. Fyfe’s hamstring is a 21-day rehab

That puts the return date for the superstar midfielder at right around the club’s opening NAB Challenge fixtureagainst Melbourne at Fremantle Oval.

Fyfe not to be rushed: Lyon

4. Fyfe has the tools to play centre-half-forward

Ross had lots to give about ‘Fyfey’. He recalled an under 18s game where the Lake Grace gun took 20 marks playing centre-half-forward. “He probably should be playing as a centre-half-forward, but I don’t think Nathan wants to go to centre-half-forward,” Lyon said.

5. Expect to see a lot of Aaron Sandilands up forward

This isn’t the news most AFL defenders wanted to hear. All 211cm of the Freo champion will often be plonked in the goal square this season. “I remember Paul Salmon playing forward and kicking a lot of goals,” Lyon said of the former Essendon and Hawthorn great. This also means that Zac Clarke is likely to play a fair bit as the number one ruckman.

6. There are 18 teams who can win the premiership

On-stage interviewer Dennis Cometti suggested that only five teams could win the flag this year – Hawthorn, Sydney, Port, North Melbourne and Fremantle. But Lyon leaned on the side of probability and reminded Dennis that every team has a chance.

Edited by Ron19
  • Like 1

Free agency is here to stay but typical of the AFL they just love to tinker since the the yanks have it just copy it for heavens sake.

The intent of free agency was for a pretty good player in a top club who would be playing second fiddle to the stars to be able to move to a new club where he could would have a better opportunity to be out on the ground.

It was meant for players to have options, its the modern world nothing is fair in love and war why should sport be any different?