Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

The screenshot on my 'puter is playing up, so I can't download the very important tipping ladder to our footy forum.   I took a photo of the screen and then uploaded it but the quality is very ornary.

Hoping someone can do the job whilst I try to eradicate the gremlins out of my laptop?   Taaa.

On another note, I think the new rule where the player manning the mark has to stand 30 (?) metres  back after a point has been scored is an excellent idea.   It opens the play right up, especially when the ball is in the hands of a full-back like Shannon Hurn who can run out of the goal square and pin-point a pass to the centre of the ground.

53 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I'll give it a crack Radar.

How does this look?

RANK

TEAM / TIPSTER

RD 2
TIPS

AVG/RND

TOTAL
TIPS

RD 2
MARGIN

TOTAL
MARGIN

WILL'S WEST ...W C 7 6.5 13 32 43

WENDY'S SAINTSWendy M 7 6.5 13 40 49

RIPS SWANSRoss P 6 6.0 12 23 27

OZZYDOMO D 6 6.0 12 33 40

FARMERJO'S FLYERSSteven P 7 5.5 11 9 11

GRANNYSAPPLESGrant S 7 5.5 11 22 29

DELIGHFUL DEE'SAlex R 6 5.5 11 36 37

RADAR501Adrian G 8 5.5 11 31 57

SCEADUGENGA1Bill B 6 5.5 11 36 83

CHOOKA'S CHI...Martin S 5 5.0 10 36 36

BIGGWAZZWarren G 6 4.5 9 32 42

Looks a bit out of date Will,sure you havnt been photoshopping.????

• Like 2

The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Round Two

Titus O’Reily

On a Monday, you want irrational reaction. You want emotion to trump reason.

What you really want is idiotic hysteria.

You’ve come to the right place.

Thursday

Carlton (85) v Collingwood (106)

Carlton seems to have the amazing ability to get better but still lose. It’s not an ideal skill in a footy club.

For the ninth straight year, the Blues start the season 0-2, making you wonder why they bother to play the first two games. They should just rest up, although that seemed to be what their defence was doing in this game.

That’s probably, unfair, they don’t really have a defence.

The Blues stayed in the game for some time, with a miraculous goal from Michael Gibbons being a real highlight.

It was miraculous as he kicked it from the Frank Grey Smith bar on the third level of the MCC.

The umpires, perhaps sensing the Blues needed all the help they could get, allowed it.

Not that Collingwood didn’t get a few umpiring assists. It seems being spun 360 degrees and then incorrectly disposing of the ball is no longer two separate free kicks, as it should be, but no free kick at all. Luckily that didn’t affect any other games this week.

Collingwood’s performance was marred by Jamie Elliott suffering another injury, proving the footy goods have as much empathy as a sociopath.

The real highlight of the night was Harry McKay and Darcy Moore’s battle, just two great players going at it all night, both having their moments.

It does seem the game is better this season, far more free flowing. Have the AFL finally got things right with the rule changes? Was I wrong to criticise them so much? It’s possible I could have been wrong.

Anyone that pays attention to my tips each week will be saying, “Titus, you’re wrong more than you’re right. Of course, you were wrong.”

Friday

Geelong (81) v Brisbane (80)

More a series of controversies than a footy game, this was certainly entertaining, as long as you’re not a Lions supporter.

For Brisbane fans, it was a travesty of justice so heinous that Bob Dylan should write a song about it.

In the last 30 seconds, Zac Bailey was not awarded a holding-the-ball free kick on Cat Mark Blicavs right in front of goal.

Even the AFL admit it should have been a free kick, but given the Lions didn’t turn up until halftime, you do take your luck in your own hands.

Beyond that, this game had everything. An announcement that people who had been in Brisbane recently had to leave, saw a raft of commentators leave, most notably Wayne Carey, the perfect example of addition by subtraction.

Let’s hope asking Wayne Carey to leave becomes a new footy tradition.

Unfortunately, BT remained, despite me ringing triple 0 numerous times to say I’d seen him in Brisbane this week.

On the sixth occasion I rang, the operator told me it was a crime to waste their time, to which I responded, “The only crime being committed is against the ears of innocent footy fans, madam.”

We also had Gary Rohan floor Lachie Neale in the first quarter behind play. Rohan will face a murder trial this week.

Chris Scott then got into a verbal stoush with a few Brisbane players at quarter time, again Chris Scott’s face giving us a new meme. Is there any AFL person who has given us more memes than Chris Scott? It real is the face that launched a thousand memes.

Joel Selwood will also get reviewed for a dumping tackle on Tom Berry. My theory is the Cats are giving their aging stars rests via suspensions.

Selwood though didn’t play like someone aging, willing his team over the line.

For Brisbane, now stuck in Melbourne due to the Queensland lockdown, will be wondering how to get their season started. Of concern is Lachie Neale, who was shut down by Mark O'Connor.

I’ve been in relationships with less touching than what went on Friday night between those two.

Saturday

Sydney (121) v Adelaide (88)

The return of Buddy was overshadowed somewhat by the frankly unfair number of gun young players the Swans are now showing off.

This is meant to be a year for improvement, not winning everything and frankly it’s unfair. I’ve always resented the Swans for the relentless competency.

Errol Gulden was ridiculously good again and Logan McDonald looked scary at times and seemed to not care this was meant to be Buddy’s big return.

Buddy himself was solid, and the main thing was he got through his return.

The Crows themselves seemed slow at times but are not the basket case of the last few years.

Tex Walker has turned back the clock, booting six and most impressively turning holding the ball turnovers through sheer pressure.

The Crows are improving but compared to the Swans their rebuild looks slow.

Port Adelaide (119) v Essendon (65)

For Port Adelaide it was business as usual and for Essendon, it was business as usual.

The Power’s key forwards and speed moving the ball sharply contrasted with the Bombers, who tried hard but looked a side that had brought a spoon to a gun fight.

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti booted six, as he suddenly became the entire Essendon forward line.

Bombers supporters would be well within their rights to wonder how much longer they have to put up with a side seemingly designed just to torture it’s fans.

Their injury list from the game was longer than their best players list.

For the Power, everything thing seems to be going pretty well, Mitch Georgiades, who was only a late replacement kicked four and he’s a teenager.

That just seems unfair.

St Kilda (73) v Melbourne (91)

What the hell is this Melbourne?

Falling behind in a game, coming back, absorbing the pressure of an opponent without conceding runs of eight goals.

It’s very confusing.

It was certainly helped by key outs for the Saints, but these are things the Dees usually never do no matter the opponent.

Then up forward you have Kysaiah Pickett who seems to have the energy of the Sun, and who’s every touch seems to be potentially the highlight of the year.

It’s one thing to win, but for it to be exciting? I’m not built for this kind of stuff.

I’m not getting ahead of myself, but does anyone know any good tattooists?

St Kilda’s night was best displayed on Brett Ratten’s face, which oscillated from frustrated, to angry, to a furious stare that scared me, even watching the replay on TV.

I would prefer to be in the Brisbane lockdown than St Kilda’s player’s review today.

Gold Coast (98) v North Melbourne (39)

David Noble looks like a man who has a 10,000-word essay to do, thought he’d written 200 words of it, and just discovered someone had deleted them.

North is so far off the pace, there are VFL sides with better odds of making the eight.

Even more worrying, the Kangaroos were basically beaten up by a bunch of teenagers, my biggest nightmare.

Teenagers are scary, what with their bass and drum music and dancing the hip hop to their rap music.

Noah Anderson tore North apart with 35 possessions and seven clearances and looked like he’d been playing for ten seasons.

Not since Karmichael Hunt has a Sun racked up so many possessions.

Whatever happens this year, Suns fans have something to look forward to as this group develops.

And whatever happens, it seems Kangaroos fans don’t.

Sunday

Hawthorn (49) v Richmond (78)

Here’s my hot takes from this game: 

·      Richmond are a better team than Hawthorn

·      Richmond has better players than Hawthorn

·      Hawthorn didn’t give up

·      Footy is better with a crowd

·      Watching footy with Richmond supporters was funnier when they were terrible

·      Watching footy with Hawthorn supporters is funnier when they’re terrible

·      Not buying your shout when you’re in a round should be illegal with significant jail time

·      Dustin Martin seems to be trying to clock Goal Assists this season just for something to do.

Western Bulldogs (100) v West Coast (93)

A classic.

A game that seesawed, well, like a seesaw, the Dogs managed to come from 14 points down in the final term to win this, thanks to a host of contributors.

The whole game had players trying to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and drag it across the line.

Nic Naitanui was more force of nature than ruckman, while Jack Macrae showed he’s not a bad midfielder, finishing with a lazy 40 disposals and nine clearances.

What got the Doggies across the line was the sheer amount of players achieving or surpassing their personal best.

For a Bulldogs fan, the hardest decision in the upcoming few years is what number to get on your jumper. There is a lot to choose from.

Adding Adam Treloar has given the Doggies another gear, he was huge in the midfield in the last quarter.

Collingwood should feel proud of this victory, considering they contributed financially to it.

The Eagles will want to work on their composure a bit, but it’s nice to get some variety and lose in Melbourne instead of Queensland.

Fremantle (87) v Greater Western Sydney (56)

It finally happened. A player was subbed out of a game for a concussion, the reason the rule was brought in.

Unfortunately for the Dockers it was captain Nat Fyfe, who was blindsight by Sam Reid, in a bump that could at best described as unnecessary.

Reid will probably get a couple of weeks plus whatever loading you get this year for injuring a star.

It summed up the Giants approach, physical first, but this became harder to do as the match progressed. They were just unable to match it with the skill and speed of the Dockers.

It was lucky for the Dockers that despite their midfield being depleted after the hit, the Giants’ midfield had gone missing.

Watching it on TV, I was amazed the number of times the Giants midfield wasn’t even in the frame, except when they showed the bench.

The Dockers were overall very impressive and made it look easy, given their name, could we get them over to the Suez Canal?

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 5:19 PM, AlexRRR said:

I looked around for news on this and nothing.....To change the name is down right stupid and where i come from AFL includes men and now them butch sheiles known as the AFLW....

Dont know of any other league or association that is big time doing a dumb thing like that and, think were all grown up enough in 2021 to realise AFL means both men and women..... Well Gil could paint a sign on his forehead that hes el presidents of the mens and women's league....that should be enough....

I blame Megan Markle and Prince Harry for this....i might have to go out to central Australia did a big hole climb in and forget about everything....(eyes rolling in socket...)

AFLM name change debate shows again how men are considered ‘the norm’

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wendyfromoz said:

AFLM name change debate shows again how men are considered ‘the norm’

Its time we men stood up to these females and demand our rights.....its enough that they invaded and made there own a mans game but too give them equal naming rights IS down right ridiculous.....isnt AFL NON gender bais? Well men when i went to school it was...Baaaaaa i say, we WILL give up our kayo subscription if this gains traction......

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2021 at 11:36 AM, Will27 said:

I'll give it a crack Radar.

How does this look?

RANK

TEAM / TIPSTER

RD 2
TIPS

AVG/RND

TOTAL
TIPS

RD 2
MARGIN

TOTAL
MARGIN

WILL'S WEST ...W C 7 6.5 13 32 43

WENDY'S SAINTSWendy M 7 6.5 13 40 49

RIPS SWANSRoss P 6 6.0 12 23 27

OZZYDOMO D 6 6.0 12 33 40

FARMERJO'S FLYERSSteven P 7 5.5 11 9 11

GRANNYSAPPLESGrant S 7 5.5 11 22 29

DELIGHFUL DEE'SAlex R 6 5.5 11 36 37

RADAR501Adrian G 8 5.5 11 31 57

SCEADUGENGA1Bill B 6 5.5 11 36 83

CHOOKA'S CHI...Martin S 5 5.0 10 36 36

BIGGWAZZWarren G 6 4.5 9 32 42

Thats right...the first time i get to the lead the tipping every one gets peed off......

• Haha 1

TV tipping review week 3

Pies vs Lions.....ummm...what to make of the Pies?  Well after spending a week in a backpackers hotel and without partners the Lions WILL be spent.....Buckley should drag them over The line, they the Lions looked a ragged lot on the telly when they found out they were marooned in Melbourne for the next 3 weeks.....Coach whats his name needs to trim his grey locks looking like he slept on the footpath the night before...in fact they all look like they did....Pies in a close one but its all down hill from here for the Lons....

Friday night dont bother turning on the telly men North WILL be looking like mince meat by half time against the Dogs who were lucky to fall over the line last week....Poor Fj id be bleeding....reminds me of J Stynes and co how they butchered the Demon line up and we spent the next 5 years in the wilderness before the AFL mens game rescued us though north WILL be forced to relocate to Hobart just as they pushed the Swans north and Lion merger.....Archer is an AFL plant men....mark my words....

Crows at home to the Sun's.....70% to the Crows....i think they WILL be hard to beat but i have faith in the chubby one....Dew is a good coach and in year 3, this will bring the Crows back to the pack as they over there thought they wont the Flag in week one.....that dazzling red jumper in the autumn sun WILL blind the poor old Crows....Tex who i think the Dee's should have targeted should get on the board for 4 more this week...after that its a race to the bar....

In a dicey one Tigers who are kinda on fire against the Hot Swans....at the G Love to pick the Swans here but i feel the Tigers game is not yet ready to fall flat on the floor just yet, there looking good and very slick easily the slickest team playing at the moment, peeking in march april? yes i think sooooooo Tigers for now and by about 5 goals....

Dispirited Bombers against the rebounding Saints.....there were all out sunning themselves in the back streets of Chooks home town of Essendon and Niddrie this morning enjoying there latte's as there pretty <deleted> in the footy these days.....90% of people who live in the Essendon area minus Chooks follow the red and the black....once upon a time i would have loved to cruise the streets around there with a big sign written across my car saying that the Bombers are <deleted>.....but ive mellowed....forgotten all them beatings at Windy Hill...17 years straight by the way...and on year 18...i was there.....when Bennet turned it around.....goal from the centre of the ground men.....5 goals down to win by 5 goals from the 10 min mark of the 3rd....and that day my bomber friend piked out about joining me....baaaaaassssssstttttttaaaaaarrrrrrrdddddddd....

Eagles at home to Port.....Eaggs wont want to loose this, warming up slowly .....game at the fortress of Optus oval in match off the round when in doubt go the home team....but im not in doubt.....well Kennedy better get his asssssss moving this week looked like a tree planted in the forward line last week....what!!!! couldnt bend over....didnt move you say? might be on life support.....gees......how long does it take Kenny too fire up uncle WILL? ps is this the Kennedy that the Blues swapped for Judd?

Radar's hapless Blues @ Marvel over Freo....put down your glasses, Freo for sure....no way WILL i put my money on the navy Blues....again....sick and tired and thats a song by the way of that underachieving team running around in a heritage jumper....time to move with the times men.....ditch the ccf on the front and but Bludgers instead....AFL  think the Blues are hot to trott....not me...mind you Freo look good last week.....and...they stayed with us after we put 4 on the board so...pick at against at your peril....

Sick GWS in Canberra over Simone's Follies the Dee's....well in times gone past GWS i would think have it in the bag.....in the bag.....do you read me? in the bag.....this year its more the fall from grace of the Gaints than the over achieving Demons.....Win this and Demons WILL feel unbeatable....confidence is a motivator loss is a demotivated .....should be close and low scoring...lot of dew on the grass up in the hills of Canberra ( i been there once) ( normally drive past the place) at 6.10 in the evening sunday night men...what a horrible time for a football game......

Cats should be too sharp for the Hawks at the G, looking like they have nobbly knees last week and lucky to have won i though Cats can hone up for the big game next week, Clarkson now a failure we see him for what he was....lucky to land a great set of young players all at the same time......just look at Simone.....2 out of ever 3 Demon supporters thought it a dirty name......i haven't changed my mind....yet.....Clarko WILL be a dirty word in Glenferrie by the end of the year.....did you know the Glenferrie oval was the only oval i never got to go too....i did go out there once as a strapping lad but couldnt find the place....then pretty quick they moved to arctic park....

The grounds i use to dislike going to and not in any order were the Saints Moorabbin ground....mainly for the reason it was at the opposite side to the city where i lived and mind you i lived 16ks from the centre and it was like plane ride south of the Yarra men.....the original Saint Kilda ground...the Loins played out of there then later it became the Dees train ground...friggs a pooooooo hole of a joint wide open set in a small park just up the road from the biggest brothel known to man....Fitzroy St..... Arctic Park known affectionally as VFL park or something like that....we all though the VFL had gone bonkers when they tried to tell us that it being in Waverley was the centre of Melbourne at the time....well it was all bullocks of course as they use to struggle too get decent crowds there its entire life, later became the Hawks home ground now there trying ground...the VFL/AFL gender equality men sold off the car park for up market housing and made a nice tidy profit men....

By the time i got going to the footy the Tigers had moved in with us and considered it there home ground......it took us Dee's about 40 years to get use to that you know....

I didnt mind the Western oval or Norths shoe box ......as you know they were close to get to...best was Windy Hill.....Western oval looked like it had been starved of funds its entire life just plane dirt with a bit of gravel mixed in so it didnt turn into a dirty bog hole in winter.....Norths ground was famous for its weather board coaches box where i heard Ron Dale bellow out a few times....the maintenance crews had to punch the nails in after every home game you know....thunder and lightning did come rushing out of there....Princess park was my number 2 ground the Blues home ground but the Hawks shared for a while before getting shipped off to Arctic Park, both being top clubs the money rushed in so the dump got fixed up quite a lot....set in parkland you would miss it driving up Sydney Rd except for the Tatts or what ever sign out front asking you to pop in and loose some money.....

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

TV tipping review week 3

Pies vs Lions.....ummm...what to make of the Pies?  Well after spending a week in a backpackers hotel and without partners the Lions WILL be spent.....Buckley should drag them over The line, they the Lions looked a ragged lot on the telly when they found out they were marooned in Melbourne for the next 3 weeks.....Coach whats his name needs to trim his grey locks looking like he slept on the footpath the night before...in fact they all look like they did....Pies in a close one but its all down hill from here for the Lons....

Friday night dont bother turning on the telly men North WILL be looking like mince meat by half time against the Dogs who were lucky to fall over the line last week....Poor Fj id be bleeding....reminds me of J Stynes and co how they butchered the Demon line up and we spent the next 5 years in the wilderness before the AFL mens game rescued us though north WILL be forced to relocate to Hobart just as they pushed the Swans north and Lion merger.....Archer is an AFL plant men....mark my words....

Crows at home to the Sun's.....70% to the Crows....i think they WILL be hard to beat but i have faith in the chubby one....Dew is a good coach and in year 3, this will bring the Crows back to the pack as they over there thought they wont the Flag in week one.....that dazzling red jumper in the autumn sun WILL blind the poor old Crows....Tex who i think the Dee's should have targeted should get on the board for 4 more this week...after that its a race to the bar....

In a dicey one Tigers who are kinda on fire against the Hot Swans....at the G Love to pick the Swans here but i feel the Tigers game is not yet ready to fall flat on the floor just yet, there looking good and very slick easily the slickest team playing at the moment, peeking in march april? yes i think sooooooo Tigers for now and by about 5 goals....

Dispirited Bombers against the rebounding Saints.....there were all out sunning themselves in the back streets of Chooks home town of Essendon and Niddrie this morning enjoying there latte's as there pretty <deleted> in the footy these days.....90% of people who live in the Essendon area minus Chooks follow the red and the black....once upon a time i would have loved to cruise the streets around there with a big sign written across my car saying that the Bombers are <deleted>.....but ive mellowed....forgotten all them beatings at Windy Hill...17 years straight by the way...and on year 18...i was there.....when Bennet turned it around.....goal from the centre of the ground men.....5 goals down to win by 5 goals from the 10 min mark of the 3rd....and that day my bomber friend piked out about joining me....baaaaaassssssstttttttaaaaaarrrrrrrdddddddd....

Eagles at home to Port.....Eaggs wont want to loose this, warming up slowly .....game at the fortress of Optus oval in match off the round when in doubt go the home team....but im not in doubt.....well Kennedy better get his asssssss moving this week looked like a tree planted in the forward line last week....what!!!! couldnt bend over....didnt move you say? might be on life support.....gees......how long does it take Kenny too fire up uncle WILL? ps is this the Kennedy that the Blues swapped for Judd?

Radar's hapless Blues @ Marvel over Freo....put down your glasses, Freo for sure....no way WILL i put my money on the navy Blues....again....sick and tired and thats a song by the way of that underachieving team running around in a heritage jumper....time to move with the times men.....ditch the ccf on the front and but Bludgers instead....AFL  think the Blues are hot to trott....not me...mind you Freo look good last week.....and...they stayed with us after we put 4 on the board so...pick at against at your peril....

Sick GWS in Canberra over Simone's Follies the Dee's....well in times gone past GWS i would think have it in the bag.....in the bag.....do you read me? in the bag.....this year its more the fall from grace of the Gaints than the over achieving Demons.....Win this and Demons WILL feel unbeatable....confidence is a motivator loss is a demotivated .....should be close and low scoring...lot of dew on the grass up in the hills of Canberra ( i been there once) ( normally drive past the place) at 6.10 in the evening sunday night men...what a horrible time for a football game......

Cats should be too sharp for the Hawks at the G, looking like they have nobbly knees last week and lucky to have won i though Cats can hone up for the big game next week, Clarkson now a failure we see him for what he was....lucky to land a great set of young players all at the same time......just look at Simone.....2 out of ever 3 Demon supporters thought it a dirty name......i haven't changed my mind....yet.....Clarko WILL be a dirty word in Glenferrie by the end of the year.....did you know the Glenferrie oval was the only oval i never got to go too....i did go out there once as a strapping lad but couldnt find the place....then pretty quick they moved to arctic park....

The grounds i use to dislike going to and not in any order were the Saints Moorabbin ground....mainly for the reason it was at the opposite side to the city where i lived and mind you i lived 16ks from the centre and it was like plane ride south of the Yarra men.....the original Saint Kilda ground...the Loins played out of there then later it became the Dees train ground...friggs a pooooooo hole of a joint wide open set in a small park just up the road from the biggest brothel known to man....Fitzroy St..... Arctic Park known affectionally as VFL park or something like that....we all though the VFL had gone bonkers when they tried to tell us that it being in Waverley was the centre of Melbourne at the time....well it was all bullocks of course as they use to struggle too get decent crowds there its entire life, later became the Hawks home ground now there trying ground...the VFL/AFL gender equality men sold off the car park for up market housing and made a nice tidy profit men....

By the time i got going to the footy the Tigers had moved in with us and considered it there home ground......it took us Dee's about 40 years to get use to that you know....

I didnt mind the Western oval or Norths shoe box ......as you know they were close to get to...best was Windy Hill.....Western oval looked like it had been starved of funds its entire life just plane dirt with a bit of gravel mixed in so it didnt turn into a dirty bog hole in winter.....Norths ground was famous for its weather board coaches box where i heard Ron Dale bellow out a few times....the maintenance crews had to punch the nails in after every home game you know....thunder and lightning did come rushing out of there....Princess park was my number 2 ground the Blues home ground but the Hawks shared for a while before getting shipped off to Arctic Park, both being top clubs the money rushed in so the dump got fixed up quite a lot....set in parkland you would miss it driving up Sydney Rd except for the Tatts or what ever sign out front asking you to pop in and loose some money.....

FMD Uncle Alex

Kennedy was our best forward last week.

Took 9 marks and kicked 4 sausage rolls.

Yes, he was the one involved in the Judd trade.

A danger game for your boys.

You gave a habit of dropping games you shouldn't.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Will27 said:

FMD Uncle Alex

Kennedy was our best forward last week.

Took 9 marks and kicked 4 sausage rolls.

Yes, he was the one involved in the Judd trade.

A danger game for your boys.

You gave a habit of dropping games you shouldn't.

AHHHH i tuned in after half time....every time i turned my attention to the monitor Kennedy was standing still and lifeless....well i was doing something else......too....

Thought so.,.,.think the Eagles got the best off that trade to be honest....

Danger game you say? Hahaha Demons are shocking you know...im just waitng for the old habits to reappear.....like the only reason id go fro the Demons is were close to full strength except up froward and that GWS look like there over it...had it....nothing......looking pretty sick, @ no other time in recent history have they Demons won 3 in a row so early in a season......even during a season....hahaha.....there good togo i think...im hooping for a win as we have the Cats the following week who you beat us by one point often....so im wanting a win so were up in the sky ready and confident as we WILL need to be to beat them by a point.....hehehe

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ozzydom said:

What a joy to behold, the Pies done by a point after the siren.????

Nooooo...i want a reply.....they were robbed......you should feel empathy for the back and white dear Oz due to them been beating in more than 18 grand finals....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Will27 said:

Fair to say this moron wasn't too happy with the umpiring last night.

hahaha a little bit cut up weren't they? like i didnt think they deserved to loose that game by the way......

The Tackle: Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes from Round 3 of the 2021 AFL season

1. THE SKIPPER RESPONDS

Of all the hyperbole in the first two weeks of the season, the denunciation of Patrick Cripps was overly premature and majorly wrong. The new open game was supposed to be Cripps’ kryptonite and he could never be a forward, because he was too slow. Even when it was revealed he was carrying injuries, the doubts lingered. On Sunday, he was at his warrior best. His third quarter, alone, returned two goals, 11 disposals — seven contested — and five clearances. The speculation about Cripps’ future at Carlton, another topic which received more airtime than it deserved, finally looks to be over. Blues boss Cain Liddle said as much in an interview on 3AW pre-match. The captain is staying and, really, he was never leaving anyway.

2. SHANNON HURN

Hand up. I thought the veteran backman’s career had come to the tipping point at the end of last season. The Eagles maintained the faith and Hurn — and not for the first time in his career — has rewarded that faith. In his first three games of 2021, he has returned 31, 25, and 26 disposals and in a season where precise kicking has soared to critical advantage, Hurn has gone at more than 90 per cent efficiency in each of his three games. The cynics will argue most of them are the controlled ball coming out of the Eagles’ defence, but the objective remains to get the ball from Point A to Point B. Just ask St Kilda and North Melbourne of that objective. Hurn is 34 in September and in two games time will become the games-record holder at the Eagles and in 11 games will play his 300th game.

3. GEORGEY BOY

For several years, Sydney’s George Hewett was a disciplined tagger and his job was to take the opposition’s best midfielder. His job now is to take the opposition’s most damaging high half-forward. Against Richmond, he didn’t allow Dusty Martin and Kane Lambert to kick a goal. In Round 1, he kept Brisbane’s Dayne Zorko to one goal and in Round 2, he kept Adelaide’s Lachie Murphy goalless. The move is another huge tick for the Young Bloods. The Swans’ greater depth in the middle didn’t kick Hewett out of the team, it repositioned him to halfback and whereas some defenders in the competition are struggling to play one-on-one football, Hewett’s discipline makes him the ideal defender. He defends first and creates second, a welcomed mindset Mick Malthouse addressed in the Herald Sun at the weekend.

4. LID ON IT AT SYDNEY

While the rest of us were enthralled by Sydney’s win over Richmond, coach John Longmire’s reaction post-match and again on Sunday on 3AW was pedestrian at best. Nothing has been achieved yet is his thinking. Nothing to backslap. No big predictions or reassessed expectations. Internally, he would be rapt his team scored 88 points on turnover and rapt his team delivered 180-plus of pressure and rapt with the output of his Young Bloods. Longmire wouldn’t even playfully join in when asked which of the kids was considered by the rest of the group as his favourite. Was it Chad? Or Errol? Or Logan? “I like them all when they play well,’’ he said. Longmire’s joy is he has too many to choose from.

5. A CAPTAIN’S GAME

The Herald Sun asked to interview Zach Merrett before the St Kilda game, but he declined. Because he has not re-signed at the club and is apparently using 2021 to determine if he stays or seeks a free agency, it was thought he best not speak to the media. You know, the questions might be too challenging. After the insipid display the week before against Port Adelaide, a few words from the acting captain would maybe help soothe Bombers fans’ frustration. As it was, he and the team let their actions do the talking and if those actions continue, perhaps Merrett sees a future at the Bombers. He and Darcy Parish put the Saints to the sword. Parish attended 25 centre bounces on Saturday, the second-most behind Merrett, and together they had 14 clearances and 17 score involvements. With Dylan Shiel injured, Parish is playing inside mid, a position he should never again relinquish.

6. JOSH THE BRUCE

No other player took a kicking for his performances in 2020 more than Bulldog Josh Bruce. He was a Hall of Famer for dislikes, so his 10-goal haul at the weekend is deserving of every accolade. Similar to Taylor Walker, Bruce struggled under the long, highball and converging pack. Now, he’s thriving with the extra space and ability to hit up on the lead. Clearly coaches killed the full-forward with density and the new rules have saved them. With the Bulldogs clicking in the forward half, the argument to send Aaron Naughton to defence is over. Not even an injury to fullback Ryan Gardner will prompt coach Luke Beveridge to change his F50 philosophy. If Naughton stays forward and with Bruce, Tim English and Marcus Bontempelli (at times) beside him, it’s difficult to see a spot for No. 1 draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan anytime soon.

7. NO BUTTS ABOUT IT

Nurturing emerging tall forwards is as important as nurturing emerging tall defenders and while the irrepressible Tex Walker is turning the clock back in the F50, Jordon Butts is making the most of his early career in the D50. He’s played just six games and, in the absence of Daniel Talia, is being asked to stand the opposition’s bets forward. In Round 1, he kept Tom Hawkins to two goals. In Round 2, it was Lance Franklin to two goals. Against the Suns on Saturday, Ben King kicked four goals, but it was possible Butts was among Adelaide vote-getters. He accumulated 95 ranking points, which was sixth-highest for the Crows. King had six kicks and took six marks, so he converted his opportunities, but Butts had 12 spoils, which helped secure the Crows the win. As for Tex, he is the feel-good story of the year thus far.

DISLIKES

1. BULLIED BY THE BLUES

Carlton has hardly been Darth Vader with its intimidatory actions across the first two weeks, but on Sunday made Fremantle nervous with their aggression. There was a hint of white flag from the Dockers in the first half. They were -21 contested possession, -63 uncontested possession, -8 clearances and -18 inside 50s. It was such a comedown from last round’s demolition of the Giants. What we’ve learnt over the first three weeks is mindset is everything. Because the competition is so tight — has the gap between No.1 and No.17 been so tight? — a standoff-ish attitude will kill you. Look at Essendon over St Kilda, Adelaide over Geelong, Sydney over Richmond and Brisbane, and, on Saturday night, West Coast over Port Adelaide. The Dockers discovered some mettle in the final quarter-and-a-half but, by then, the Blues had bolted.

2. SOFT SAINTS

Is there a greater insult than being called ‘soft’?

Pathetic, embarrassing — Brett Ratten’s word — insipid and meek carry a level of insult, but soft, in mentality and action, is the collective dagger. And the Saints deserve the moniker. They laid 11 tackles in the first half, seven in the first quarter and four in the second quarter. The pressure factor in that second quarter was a dismal 137, their lowest result since the second quarter against Adelaide in Round 20, 2019. Alarm bells ring mostly everywhere for the Saints. Dan Butler is a passenger, Brad Hill is riding shotgun to him, Ben Long has stalled and now Jade Gresham (achilles) will miss the year. Rowan Marshall might return this week and they desperately need Paddy Ryder back in the fold. An urgent SOS to the big fella needs to be sent, but it remains to be seen if he responds positively. He was allowed time off to spend time with family and elders, which was fair play by the Saints, but equally fair is St Kilda knowing for sure when Ryder plans to return.

3. LUKE SHUEY

The frustration of having your body breaking down must be beyond comprehension for the Eagles skipper. His body language on the bench near the end of Saturday night’s game was tangible. Commentary he should’ve been benched when the game was done is always cheap post event. Nothing was said when he was racking up 28 disposals and eight clearances. With Shuey out for at least four weeks and Ellott Yeo for who knows how long, maybe coach Adam Simpson redeploys Liam Duggan from halfback to the midfield. He did it last year and it worked. So why not again.

4. STOP THE ONE-HANDERS

Tommy Lynch has a minor flaw. He is a powerhouse forward and opposed to Tom McCartin on Saturday, was meritorious after half time when the match was done. His penchant to try to mark one-handed, however, is small facet of his game that he needs to eradicate. It’s not the first time this is on the radar. Lynch likes to use his strength to hold his ground behind his opponent. He uses an arm to keep position, but doesn’t release that arm when the ball arrives over the back, meaning too often he leans back and tries to mark the ball one-handed. It was a Wayne Carey speciality, but not even Carey could consistently take one-handers. It might be nitpicking, but I reckon every coach in every grade in every year played has said: “Two hands on the ball.’’ And sometimes, Lynch’s strength lends itself to giving a free kick away. He gave away two free kicks on Saturday and has given away seven for the season, which is the equal most for key forwards along with West Coast’s Oscar Allen and Brisbane’s Joe Daniher.

5. NORTH MELBOURNE’S WOE

This rebuild requires patience, but also requires standards. David Noble asks for patience among fans but he must also ask for contribution from his players. It’s why he must have integrity at selection. Lachie Young can’t play this week because he doesn’t deserve a game and Aaron Hall might find himself in the same predicament. Young was caught in the headlights several times. He had three back-half turnovers, which the Dogs scored 2.1. The experienced Hall was worse. He had five back-half turnovers and the Dogs scored 2.2. Hall had 23 disposals (18 uncontested) and kicked a goal. And Young had 16 disposals. They are OK numbers, but they are just numbers. Noble can hardly reward them both with senior selection when their fundamentals were so lacking. Even in a rebuild, players cannot be gifted games. The bigger picture is North Melbourne’s mindset. Maybe bringing the mouthguards to training wouldn’t hurt.

6. PORT BOMBS OUT

Ken Hinkley should write BIG HEADS on the whiteboard and leave it there all week for the players to see it and accept it. That was shambolic against West Coast. Workrate and accountability was absent in the midfield and with only 40 inside-50s, what hope did the tactic of playing four tall forwards have of succeeding? Playing Georgiades, Ladhams, Dixon and Marshall didn’t work. Combined, they took three F50 marks, all of them taken by Marshall. The Eagles had 57 entries and Kennedy, Darling and Allen combined for eight goals and 17 marks. Clearly, the problems were generated in the midfield, but am curious to see if Hinkley plays the four talls against Richmond on Friday night. If his midfield can respond, the tactic could stretch a Richmond defence missing Nick Vlastuin. If the midfield is meek as it was against the Eagles, no tactic will work.

7. WHAT’S HAPPENED TO BEN AINSWORTH?

He had the opportunity to be the matchwinner on Friday night but two behinds in the final quarter either side of 40m from goal didn’t get the job done. Patience is always forthcoming for young Suns players, but at the same time, those young Suns have to start delivering. Ainsworth is now 23, was a top-10 draft pick and is nearing 60 games in his career. He had 18 disposals and kicked a goal in the trainwreck win over North Melbourne in Round 2 and against Adelaide it was only seven disposals, two behinds, three tackles and three score involvements. He’s shown he can be a good player, but not near enough to what he should be capable of.

• Like 1

Well done Rip and Chooks.

I couldn't pick my nose this week.

As bad as my Kangas are going it's still nice this time of year to see some feel good stories from players in all the teams.

Only gripe this week is waiting for the AFL to introduce the THROW into their rules.

Every side does them so either allow them or pick them up.

It's a blight on the game with some getting pinged and some not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

As bad as my Kangas are going it's still nice this time of year to see some feel good stories from players in all the teams.

Only gripe this week is waiting for the AFL to introduce the THROW into their rules.

Good call mate.

No one throws more than the Bulldogs and Richmond are a close 2nd I reckon.

• Like 2

OK Gill......

AFL boss hopes to ‘one day’ bring Grand Final to Sydney

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has admitted NSW could “one day” host the AFL Grand Final.

The AFL boss is targeting more grounds, players and fans in NSW and told Ben Fordham that a Grand Final could be on the cards.

“One day, but it’s a long time away!” Mr McLachlan said.

“We’re contracted for a long period of time at the MCG.”

Love it when Pridham gives a clip back.

No one wanted him’: Swans slam academy critics

Sydney boss Andrew Pridham says Victorian clubs bleating about the Swans’ academy system should look at their own generous AFL concessions first.

Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham has lashed out at critics of the club’s academy system, adamant the league would have to disband the father-son system before it watered down the Swans’ talent pathway.

Pridham told the Herald Sun Victorian clubs bleating about Sydney’s development were always silent about the huge advantages of their own father-sons and next generation academies.

He said Geelong and Collingwood had accepted huge concessions regarding the draft and cost of living without complaint from rival sides.

Sydney must bid for their players in the same way as the father-son system, having injected $10 million into their own academy over 11 years.

The Swans have only drafted or rookied 13 of the 3000 players to go through that system, with Pridham saying the criticism was tired and predictable.

“Collingwood have five father-sons and another on the way and two next generation academy picks,” he told the Herald Sun.

“We have outrageously rookied a kid like Sam Wicks who no one else picked. Go figure. As for Geelong if you talk about advantages, my god they have (Patrick) Dangerfield, Jeremy Cameron, (Gary) Rohan, (Isaac) Smith, they are in a town that houses the Geelong Falcons. They have players keen to play there and it’s so cheap to live there. They are spending 300 bucks a week to live in an eight-bedroom house. The bottom line is it has never been a level playing field.

“So anyone who is attacking us and wants to see anything happen to the academies, you could say goodbye to the father-son system.”

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2021 at 8:20 PM, farmerjo said:

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

Love it when Pridham gives a clip back.

No one wanted him’: Swans slam academy critics

Sydney boss Andrew Pridham says Victorian clubs bleating about the Swans’ academy system should look at their own generous AFL concessions first.

Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham has lashed out at critics of the club’s academy system, adamant the league would have to disband the father-son system before it watered down the Swans’ talent pathway.

Pridham told the Herald Sun Victorian clubs bleating about Sydney’s development were always silent about the huge advantages of their own father-sons and next generation academies.

He said Geelong and Collingwood had accepted huge concessions regarding the draft and cost of living without complaint from rival sides.

Sydney must bid for their players in the same way as the father-son system, having injected $10 million into their own academy over 11 years.

The Swans have only drafted or rookied 13 of the 3000 players to go through that system, with Pridham saying the criticism was tired and predictable.

“Collingwood have five father-sons and another on the way and two next generation academy picks,” he told the Herald Sun.

“We have outrageously rookied a kid like Sam Wicks who no one else picked. Go figure. As for Geelong if you talk about advantages, my god they have (Patrick) Dangerfield, Jeremy Cameron, (Gary) Rohan, (Isaac) Smith, they are in a town that houses the Geelong Falcons. They have players keen to play there and it’s so cheap to live there. They are spending 300 bucks a week to live in an eight-bedroom house. The bottom line is it has never been a level playing field.

“So anyone who is attacking us and wants to see anything happen to the academies, you could say goodbye to the father-son system.”

We got pinged with a  throw last week.....

Dont upset Bookman.....

• Like 1