This is no big joke: Immigration rising from the ashes like a phoenix!

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The 162,000 passengers a day is nearly 7% up on last year. T

I arrived last Sunday, it took 10 min to get through immigration. I come here 4 times every year, and it's only getting less crowded every time, compared to the days 10years ago, when the queues were endless.  I must be very lucky, reading those ever increasing numbers.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I wish Immigration would get their collective s**t together and simply do their job sensibly with consistency.  No need for disingenuous publicity stunts at the airport.   ????

This is Thailand: Land of the Photo-Op where bureaucrats and bigwigs strut their self-importance in front of a camera.  Disingenuous is simply baked-in.  It's part of the cake. 
I was wondering how long it took after disembarking the plane to process though the gauntlet of unfriendly, bored, under-staffed, and otherwise disinterested immigration officers before meeting a Bigwig IO with a beaming smile, a garland of flowers, and a staff photographer in tow? 

And nothing is being said of the incredible inconveniences of the new immigration policies for retirees; so you really think tourism is what helps pay the bills here?  This new TM30 bullcrap for people who have been here many years, following the rules, are now being put through ridiculous check-in procedures. 

Realize it or not, in Phuket alone, they are requiring a TM30 within 24 hours, no matter where you go.  The reports from the supposed 'authority' who said 'one' TM30 is all that is required when you have a registered address and retirement visa.  As usual, different offices are making up their own policies (and likely pocketing the difference)

I, for one, will now be looking at other areas to relocation; spend my time and money. I'm about done here.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Some 1.6 million passengers are expected to pass through the airport in the ten days from April 9th to 18th.

The figures they haven't provided are how many in, how many out and how many in transit.

5 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I wish Immigration would get their collective s**t together and simply do their job sensibly with consistency.  No need for disingenuous publicity stunts at the airport.   ????

A uniform, an array of medals and decorations (don't forget the obligatory wings), and a camera. All is well.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

I hope to god that the phoenix doesn't need a visa of any kind, or just to retire peacefully and be with friends and family without being sent on a visa/permit/extension merry go around... (by the way, i'm sure that 9 thais out of 10, including immigration personal will not know what a phoenix is..)

..it's a Dodge.

41 minutes ago, johnc925 said:

And nothing is being said of the incredible inconveniences of the new immigration policies for retirees; so you really think tourism is what helps pay the bills here?  This new TM30 bullcrap for people who have been here many years, following the rules, are now being put through ridiculous check-in procedures. 

Realize it or not, in Phuket alone, they are requiring a TM30 within 24 hours, no matter where you go.  The reports from the supposed 'authority' who said 'one' TM30 is all that is required when you have a registered address and retirement visa.  As usual, different offices are making up their own policies (and likely pocketing the difference)

I, for one, will now be looking at other areas to relocation; spend my time and money. I'm about done here.

Right, that 24 hour report krap some bright spark pulled from 1970 obscurity, is nonsense.  Otherwise, never been asked for a "tip" or hassled by Immigration for anything, until doing my extension this year (last month).  Wife talked them down from the fine and then filled the form to report she has a farang living in her house.  Me. 

3 hours ago, RobMuir said:

The expected average 1,097 flights per day at Suvarnabhumi is also a 7% improvement. 

That is 45 planes per hour for 24 hours ie a flight landing or taking off every 1.3 mins for the whole of every day and night.Compared to places like Chicago,JKF or Heathrow that seems to put it up there with some of the busiest airports in the world.

In your dreams TAT 

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

I hope to god that the phoenix doesn't need a visa of any kind, or just to retire peacefully and be with friends and family without being sent on a visa/permit/extension merry go around... (by the way, i'm sure that 9 thais out of 10, including immigration personal will not know what a phoenix is..)

9? I think you're being generous. 

Just left yesterday for a holiday and the guys and girls at departure passport control all wore nice and beautiful yellow shirts instead of the usual uniform. I must admit, it was a kind of positive mood and I was surprised to realise how young they actually are.

7 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I agree but Thai officials without publicity stunts would be something completely new and I cannot imagine that this will ever happen.

5 hours ago, 55Jay said:

So does the door opener at the mall.  

Moo baan security guard appears to be parachute/jump qualified too! 

And always with a least 2 rows of campaign colours. 

Less than 3 days ago reports were how quite it is everywhere and before you know it millions are coming and not only millions but 7% more than last year.

in good old fashion they first killed the hand that feeds and then try to regrow it.

what was the point of all the witch hunts for past 1-2 years? To then start welcoming ? Highly unlikely those who were affected will be returning 

5 hours ago, RobMuir said:

The 162,000 passengers a day is nearly 7% up on last year. The expected average 1,097 flights per day at Suvarnabhumi is also a 7% improvement. 

1097 / 24 = 45 flights PER HOUR, EVERY HOUR, ALL DAY.

Not possible.

Let's assume of the 16200 pax per day 50% are in, 50 % out. 81,000 / 24 = 3375 pax per hour. Say 30 Immigration gates are open = 112.5 pax per hour, in & out, 24 hours at each of the 60 gates.

Not possible.

Someone lost their calculator.

9 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

1097 / 24 = 45 flights PER HOUR, EVERY HOUR, ALL DAY.

Not possible.

1 hour ago, petertucker48 said:

The 162,000 passengers a day is nearly 7% up on last year. The expected average 1,097 flights per day at Suvarnabhumi is also a 7% improvement. 

Thats nearly 1 Plane a minute who needs roads to die on !!!

ATC normally lands a plane every 90 seconds... that’s 40per hour.

There is more than one airport receiving international flights. Perhaps they mean Thailand arrivals and not just Suvarnabhumi  - 45 flight per hour? Easily doable. 

If each plane carries 200ppl then thats 34 flights per hour.

But, the article says 1067 flights a day at one airport - quite specific & quite a stretch... they either got their stats messed up or they are telling porkie-pies !

34 minutes ago, Artisi said:

And always with a least 2 rows of campaign colours. 

My missus, who's a teacher also has two rows of shiny plastic ribbons. She doesn't have a clue what they're for other than they brighten up her uniform. All her fellow teachers have the same ones. She also has gold bars on her epaulette(?) The first time I saw her in unform I was tempted to jump to attention and salute! She doesn't have para wings though (yet), which I believe they get for sliding down a line like you see in these adventure parks and learning to roll at the bottom, although I could be wrong.

7 hours ago, JimSaints said:

Arrived many times both at Svampy and DMK - never met more unfriendly Immigration staff anywhere

Some of us are well traveled, i can assure you it gets much worse, i suggest you try Kyrgyzstani immigration for some balance.

If I read statements like "to ensure the safety and convenience of the large number of tourists expected" I seriously wonder, if I really want to visit that country. Sounds like a civil war going on from which I (as a tourist) would have to be protected.

Maybe the new slogan of the TAT circus down the road! 

30 minutes ago, jesimps said:

My missus, who's a teacher also has two rows of shiny plastic ribbons. She doesn't have a clue what they're for other than they brighten up her uniform. All her fellow teachers have the same ones. She also has gold bars on her epaulette(?) The first time I saw her in unform I was tempted to jump to attention and salute! She doesn't have para wings though (yet), which I believe they get for sliding down a line like you see in these adventure parks and learning to roll at the bottom, although I could be wrong.

There are different wings, some are for a static line jump, not a zip-line, from a tower, others are for jumping from an aicraft, others for instructors.  If i recall correctly, the ribbon boards are a strip for each 5 years of service. The bars on the shoulder are rank, one for a lance corporal, two for a corporal and three for a sergeant. Surely she knows what rank she is, if not tell her to look on the rank board at school, her photo and rank has to be displayed in a prominent position in the school by law.

2 hours ago, petertucker48 said:

The 162,000 passengers a day is nearly 7% up on last year. The expected average 1,097 flights per day at Suvarnabhumi is also a 7% improvement. 

Thats nearly 1 Plane a minute who needs roads to die on !!!

Amazing, particularly seeing as they stated just last year that the maximum capacity is 123,000 per day.  And just where are all these touristz?  Most places are dead, it just doesnt seem to add up.

Archived