‘Seastead’ set up off coast of Phuket

webfact

‘Seastead’ set up off coast of Phuket

By The Thaiger

PHOTOS: Nation TV

640_kfaagj9ibajij6ebg9a5j.jpg

A Thai couple has successfully set up a ‘Seastead’ near Phuket.

Seasteading is aiming to build floating societies with “significant political autonomy”. Nearly half the world’s surface is unclaimed by any nation-state, and many coastal nations can legislate “seasteads” in their territorial waters (like a “homestead” but wetter).

The nation TV reports that website ‘Bitcoin.com’ and ‘Ocean.builders’ report that the Thai couple Chad Elwartowski and Nadia Summergirl are are the first seasteaders who established a small seastead 12 nautical miles off Phuket.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/seastead-set-up-off-coast-of-phuket

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-04-12

3 hours ago, JoePai said:

Would be good fun in a Tsunami  ????

Tsunami does not affect boats or any structures in the water that much. In fact, the open sea is the best place to be in when a tsunami hits.

Works until it doesn't.  Ever hear of pirates?  Colonization, even a homestead or sea-stead, requires sufficient force to keep someone else from taking what you claim to be yours, including your life.  This is new frontier living - happy thoughts, peace and love, and a safe-space ain't gonna cut it.  

And then it's only going to be tolerated until the country you border at 12 nautical miles decides they don't want you there any longer and forcefully removes you in the name of 'national interests' and 'responsibility to protect the delicate ocean eco-system from marauding Seasteaders", or "responsibility to protect Seasteaders from their own folly", etc, etc. etc.  They will be throughout demonized before they are evicted.

Not knocking it.  I like the idea personally.  But those who embrace the ideals of Statism must control all, and therefore simply despise rugged individualism and will seek to impede if not outright destroy it.  That is if they can't absorb it, profit from it, and franchise it.   

4 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Best of luck when they need emergency assistance. 12 miles out .... that seems excessive. 

No different than living 12 kilometers from the nearest hospital or 'emergency services" on land.  And living out in rural Thailand, many people live one heck of a lot farther out than that.  Example: Hill tribes.  Not excessive at all. 
If you think that is excessive, then my guess is had you been an American in the 1800s, you would have stayed in Sioux City as your fellow citizens stuck out to homestead the Great Plains.  Some people don't like risk.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:03 AM, JoePai said:

Would be good fun in a Tsunami  ????

I think their little habitat on a  buoy would be in much more peril from ocean storms, shipping that fail to keep a proper lookout, or officialdom.

i used to sail and take off for two to three weeks. you need to plan all your supplies. food, water, fuel.

it would take almost all day to buy and load the sailboat with food for just two people.

the hardest part was fresh food. Fruit and vegetables, chicken, pork. fish required some labor and you never know what you will catch, if anything. We had a small BBQ. again, fuel of some type.    

if they have a water maker, generator, wind generator, solar cells, deep cycle marine cells, marine frig you can go for months, but you have to go ashore eventually. i guess space for huge tanks is no problem.

fighting the effects of salt air on all these systems is a full time job. if it completely air tight that might slow things down a bit.

I am thinking because of the heat, they will be sleeping on the top of the structure, and to minimize any effects of seasickness. 12VDC fans will need to be running if you are inside. And very high humidity.  

who is charge of security when you are gone? I had my girlfriend stay with the boat while I went ashore.

falling overboard is a big concern on a sailboat, so on this thing i would have lines floating on buoys.   

they should be able to receive sat TV if they have the marine dish that is motorized and moves with the motion of the seastead.  

they need to get all the tech geeks involved, with a webcam sending maybe a few frames of video a day so people can follow on Twitter. If people get emotionally involved all over the world with the idea of being free, when the Thai government tries to shut them down it will a bit harder.  

of course pick a location out of shipping lanes. i hope they have a marine transponder and running lights so they don't get run down. and no matter how stable this thing is, i would have a abandon ship kit with a small life raft.  

this would make a great adventure bed and breakfast. like I stayed at in the jungles of Belize. 

i think this is a great idea. good luck.           

48 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i used to sail and take off for two to three weeks. you need to plan all your supplies. food, water, fuel.

it would take almost all day to buy and load the sailboat with food for just two people.

the hardest part was fresh food. Fruit and vegetables, chicken, pork. fish required some labor and you never know what you will catch, if anything. We had a small BBQ. again, fuel of some type.    

if they have a water maker, generator, wind generator, solar cells, deep cycle marine cells, marine frig you can go for months, but you have to go ashore eventually. i guess space for huge tanks is no problem.

fighting the effects of salt air on all these systems is a full time job. if it completely air tight that might slow things down a bit.

I am thinking because of the heat, they will be sleeping on the top of the structure, and to minimize any effects of seasickness. 12VDC fans will need to be running if you are inside. And very high humidity.  

who is charge of security when you are gone? I had my girlfriend stay with the boat while I went ashore.

falling overboard is a big concern on a sailboat, so on this thing i would have lines floating on buoys.   

they should be able to receive sat TV if they have the marine dish that is motorized and moves with the motion of the seastead.  

they need to get all the tech geeks involved, with a webcam sending maybe a few frames of video a day so people can follow on Twitter. If people get emotionally involved all over the world with the idea of being free, when the Thai government tries to shut them down it will a bit harder.  

of course pick a location out of shipping lanes. i hope they have a marine transponder and running lights so they don't get run down. and no matter how stable this thing is, i would have a abandon ship kit with a small life raft.  

this would make a great adventure bed and breakfast. like I stayed at in the jungles of Belize. 

i think this is a great idea. good luck.           

Reading their website, the thing has a water maker, solar power and a backup diesel generator. It has better internet via satellite than they get onshore. The design with the heavy cylinder underneath, seems to keep it completely stable even in rough weather.  The pod itself floats so a life raft wouldn't be required. (see the U-tube vid)  Presumably they wouldn't be silly enough to go without running lights and radios.

It's already proving to be a great fish attracting device, so food wouldn't be a problem as long as its seafood.

They don't seem to have gone into this without allowing for most scenarios. 

However, dealing with the Thai government may prove to be a different kettle of fish.

Archived