Rabbit LINE Pay: Anyone successfully paid with this?

I set up LINE Wallet, added Thai debit card, bank account, linked my Rabbit (BTS) card, etc.

My Rabbit card’s balance is now visible in LINE Wallet and when I use my Rabbit card with the BTS then my bank account gets debited directly, which is great!

However, I have not been able to actually pay using my phone in stores.

Many stores have a small “Rabbit Pay” terminal which seems to function as a QR code reader, and LINE Wallet has a “My QR Code”, but I have tried two different stores, and it failed in both, the cashiers also tried to use the regular barcode scanner to scan my phone, but that failed as well (the “My QR Code” actually shows both a barcode and a QR code).

Given how many places I see these Rabbit Pay terminals, and the coupons I receive in my LINE wallet (for Rabbit LINE Pay), I am thinking it should work, but so far, it hasn’t, and the cashiers I have interacted with seems to have no idea about whether or not it should work, as they don’t even know if they are supposed to scan my barcode or if I am to hold up my phone to the (assumed) QR code reader.

My question is: Has anyone successfully used their LINE Wallet to make a payment in a physical store? And if so, what is the procedure?

• 2 months later...

I use LinePay many times, and it work very simple. Go into the wallet use QR Code and scan it by the QR Reader of the shop.

What the reader do when reading your QR Code, there should be showing something on the terminal. 

You have enough money on your wallet or have linked a credit card to it? Maybe this the problem. Maybe you should tell more exactly what you try to doing and what the reader shows, after reading your QR code on the phone. I would recommend you try it at a McDonalds as they are mostly more confident with foreigners, and maybe therefore more helpfull with it

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

I would recommend you try it at a McDonalds as they are mostly more confident with foreigners

I tried at McDonalds first, as when I signed up for LINE Pay I got coupons for all the major chains, and wanted to try paying, using these coupons.

On my iPhone X I open LINE and click Wallet (bottom toolbar) → Rabbit LINE Pay → My Code.

This brings up a barcode and a QR code, it also shows that payment method is (currently) my VISA card, although the first time I may have this set to my balance (which was sufficient at the time), and from here I could also select coupons, which I tried at McDonalds, which (if I recall correctly) they tried to scan.

I hold my device up to the Rabbit LINE Pay scanner, although several places they also tried to scan my phone’s barcode with their regular barcode reader.

I also tried at Family Mart and The Pizza Company.

I do speak Thai, so I doubt it’s a problem with them being uncomfortable with foreigners, but they are definitely unfamiliar with customers who wants to pay via Rabbit LINE Pay using their phone.

I asked some Thais if they had paid with LINE Pay and the answer was a puzzled expression, so despite seeing the terminals in all the major chains, my conclusion was that nobody actually uses it.

That's strange. I used it many times at McDonald, Pizza Company, some drinks shops and even in Taiwan it was working fine.

Some shops give you back some 5-10% and others like McDonald reduce the amount by 10% (before 20%).

And I never had a problem to pay with LinePay. I only had a problem in begining with the switching from Credit card payment to wallet payment, till I knew how to change it. 

3 hours ago, lkn said:

despite seeing the terminals in all the major chains, my conclusion was that nobody actually uses it.

Some shops, the staff have no idea and have to call a supervisor, but at various McDonalds and a local coffee shop I frequent it's like using Paywave, simple. I'm only using a regular BTS Rabbit card not Line.

Try the McDonalds near Terminal 21 (cnr. Sukhumvit 17) or Unilever House (behind Central Rama 9). Staff there seem used to customers with Rabbit. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2019 at 10:27 AM, HampiK said:

That's strange. I used it many times at McDonald, Pizza Company, some drinks shops and even in Taiwan it was working fine.

There is "Line Pay" and the Thai version "Rabbit Line Pay" when register line using a Thai phone number. Maybe you used Line Pay and not Rabbit Line Pay in Taiwan?

1 hour ago, sabanook said:

There is "Line Pay" and the Thai version "Rabbit Line Pay" when register line using a Thai phone number. Maybe you used Line Pay and not Rabbit Line Pay in Taiwan?

Here in Thailand i use Rabbit Line Pay, else the BTS Trips online would not work. What was used in Taiwan I don't care as I only setup the Rabbit Line Pay, which of course maybe outside Thailand is using the Line Pay function. Actually I only was trying, because I wanted to know if this is working or not. Only try for fun in Taiwan!

So you could be right, I don't know ???? 

On 6/16/2019 at 12:36 PM, lkn said:

I tried at McDonalds first, as when I signed up for LINE Pay I got coupons for all the major chains, and wanted to try paying, using these coupons.

On my iPhone X I open LINE and click Wallet (bottom toolbar) → Rabbit LINE Pay → My Code.

This brings up a barcode and a QR code, it also shows that payment method is (currently) my VISA card, although the first time I may have this set to my balance (which was sufficient at the time), and from here I could also select coupons, which I tried at McDonalds, which (if I recall correctly) they tried to scan.

I hold my device up to the Rabbit LINE Pay scanner, although several places they also tried to scan my phone’s barcode with their regular barcode reader.

I also tried at Family Mart and The Pizza Company.

I do speak Thai, so I doubt it’s a problem with them being uncomfortable with foreigners, but they are definitely unfamiliar with customers who wants to pay via Rabbit LINE Pay using their phone.

I asked some Thais if they had paid with LINE Pay and the answer was a puzzled expression, so despite seeing the terminals in all the major chains, my conclusion was that nobody actually uses it.

I have success using Rabbit Line Pay QR code in McDonald, Burger King, Siam Paragon food court and Bubble tea shops near BTS. Have you tried increasing the brightness of your mobile phone screen before scanning? I found some bar code readers has trouble scanning QR code on the mobile phone screen that has brightness reduced to conserve battery.

Archived