Six from Bangkok die in train-van crash in Lop Buri

webfact

Six from Bangkok die in train-van crash in Lop Buri

By Chatchawal Kaewkrajai 
The Nation

830b8a4b72504765d5c12203c2c5dab7.jpeg

Six people including a 14-year-old boy died in Lop Buri early Friday morning when a train slammed into a chartered van carrying 14 Songkran holidaymakers from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani.

Four other passengers were seriously injured in the 2.45am crash in Pattana Nikhom district at a railway crossing on Highway 3017 three kilometres from Kaeng Sua Ten Train Station.

Rescue workers had to extract several deceased victims as well as the injured from the van.

Pol Colonel Krir Saengpol said the van sped in front of the Nong Khai-Bangkok train and was broadsided and flung against a concrete barrier, instantly killing two male passengers aged 28 and 60 and two women aged 18 and 28. 

The 14-year-old and a 41-year old man died later at hospital. 

The van driver and four passengers suffered minor injuries. Police planned to question the driver later.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30367599

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-12

It must be a very traumatic job being a train driver in Thailand, owing to the selfish, couldn't-careless attitude of vehicle drivers here.

Just about every week we see news reports of trains hitting vehicles on crossings.

It's the vehicle drivers, and them alone, who cause these accidents and the death of passengers in their vehicle.

RIP to the victims. I assume that as the van driver was also injured that is why in this instance he did not run away from the scene as we so often read about.  Hopefully , if an investigation is undertaken and he is found at fault, he will be prohibited from ever driving again legally. Problem is Thailand's roads appear to be awash with illegal drivers anyway.

Another unnamed report states that on the first of the "seven deadly days" forty six people have been killed and 482 injured. Could be on target for a new road toll record for Songkran.

5 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Another unnamed report states that on the first of the "seven deadly days" forty six people have been killed and 482 injured. Could be on target for a new road toll record for Songkran.

Well below the norm.

13 minutes ago, mwbrown said:

Let me rewrite that headline for you:

"Six from Bangkok die when van drives in front of train in Lop Buri"

Just as well you did, would never have understood the headline otherwise.........NOT!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The van driver and four passengers suffered minor injuries. Police planned to question the driver later.

I have a few words for the driver, unfortunately I can't post them here because I'd be invited to leave !

RIP all those who perished at the hands of an imbecile !

How do they do this..honestly?

I remember my wife stopping at a crossing (Warin Chamrap) and having a good look around.

Whilst I was complimenting on her safe driving a mob of yahoos..came screaming up behind,blared the horn and then pulled out and dashed across the crossing..

Thailand-the ultimate Darwin Award.

1 hour ago, mwbrown said:

Let me rewrite that headline for you:

"Six from Bangkok die when van drives in front of train in Lop Buri"

"Six from Bangkok die, 4 hurt as hired driver races train to Lop Buri crossing"

5 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

RIP to the victims. I assume that as the van driver was also injured that is why in this instance he did not run away from the scene as we so often read about.  Hopefully , if an investigation is undertaken and he is found at fault, he will be prohibited from ever driving again legally. Problem is Thailand's roads appear to be awash with illegal drivers anyway.

isn't it illegal to leave a scene of an accident?

15 minutes ago, malibukid said:

Yes in many countries where the rule of law is generally followed.  But this is Thailand where responsibility for ones actions is largely not considered necessary.

15 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

How do they do this..honestly?

I remember my wife stopping at a crossing (Warin Chamrap) and having a good look around.

Whilst I was complimenting on her safe driving a mob of yahoos..came screaming up behind,blared the horn and then pulled out and dashed across the crossing..

Thailand-the ultimate Darwin Award.

I even had that when i stopped my motocy for a red stoplight....still don't know why they had to horn to me from behind.

On 4/12/2019 at 6:42 AM, geoffbezoz said:
On 4/12/2019 at 6:23 AM, malibukid said:

Yes in many countries where the rule of law is generally followed.  But this is Thailand where responsibility for ones actions is largely not considered necessary.

It's a concession to the real possibility of vigilante violence against anyone who sticks around after being involved in an accident.  They are required to turn themselves in to police.

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

It's a concession to the real possibility of vigilante violence against anyone who sticks around after being involved in an accident.  They are required to turn themselves in to police.

So it appears to be optional then ?

So if you drink and drive and kill someone they are going to call it murder. As with the businessman who killed the policeman and his wife but no mention of it in this case where the driver is obviously guilty of culpable driving causing death.  Hard to understand if some of these drivers have any grey matter between their ears. Just recently there was the driver who drove a pickup loaded with people into the side of a truck doing a legal right turn.  No sign of him slowing down at all. Asleep? Blind? Drunk?

This accident happened very near me, on this level crossing,  a photo of the level crossing, taken a while ago, they are still building the flyover, it will be used for the new HS train the level crossing is just in front of that car ,the warning  light where not working on the approach road they use to be a wire raised gate ,but that got took down when the building work started it is not a  good road , very rough ,almost a dogleg in the road ,and not good visibility , note  all the vegetation.

IMO it was 50-50 night time the driver did not know road crap approach, no gate /lights did he even see the train? driving too fast? not the state the road is in, yet another Thai accident.  

RIMG0998.JPG

Archived