Jump to content
BANGKOK 23 April 2019 15:54
dsl25

Highest bank withdrawals with foreign card?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Which bank in CM allows the highest withdrawals in Baht when using a foreign bank card like VISA/PLUS?

The highest I found so far is THB30.000, is there a way to withdraw more in a single operation?

 

plus%20logo.jpg

 

Edited by dsl25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to withdraw 58,000 from Aeon using my Maestro card when I had it. After 24 hours you could withdraw another 58,000 and so on. The amount is set by the European bank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Believe 30,000 is the highest one-time transaction limit for an ATM here.  

As suggested above, you can try doing an over-the-counter withdrawal inside a bank with passport and card.  The amount is still restricted by your home bank's card policy; my card's default w/d amount is $1,000/day equivalent, for example.

 

You can also try a cash advance on a credit card if you have one.  The transaction amount is often higher than a debit/ATM card.  Mind the fees of course.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys.

My EU card has a higher than $1000 limit, that's why.

I didn't know I can withdraw inside banks, will try this.

 

Where is AEON? At Maya or only LOTUS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Believe 30,000 is the highest one-time transaction limit for an ATM here.  

As suggested above, you can try doing an over-the-counter withdrawal inside a bank with passport and card.  The amount is still restricted by your home bank's card policy; my card's default w/d amount is $1,000/day equivalent, for example.

 

You can also try a cash advance on a credit card if you have one.  The transaction amount is often higher than a debit/ATM card.  Mind the fees of course.

No, that may be for American banks but not for European banks. My Maestro Card withdrawal limit was 5,000 CHF per day but I was told by Aeon that 60,000 Baht was the maximum the ATM would dispense at one time.  I never could get 60K, only 58K. I think once I got 59K. Aeon said that was a security measure - I have no idea how -1-2K THB was a security measure. At the time, Aeon did not charge a service charge.

Edited by elektrified
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dsl25 said:

Thanks guys.

My EU card has a higher than $1000 limit, that's why.

I didn't know I can withdraw inside banks, will try this.

 

Where is AEON? At Maya or only LOTUS?

Be sure to ask your bank about counter withdrawals and how much it will cost!  I experimented by withdrawing 15,000 Baht from Bangkok Bank using my ATM debit card from an American bank I seldom ever use. I did this on the advice of people on this forum, claiming I would save the 150 Baht ATM fee. Yes, I saved the 150 Baht fee but was charged US $18.70 by the American bank. Never again! The ATM withdrawal only cost 150 Baht.

 

Aeon is at Central Festival, Siam TV, Tesco Kamtieng, and I believe Airport Plaza.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, elektrified said:

Be sure to ask your bank about counter withdrawals and how much it will cost!  I experimented by withdrawing 15,000 Baht from Bangkok Bank using my ATM debit card from an American bank I seldom ever use. I did this on the advice of people on this forum, claiming I would save the 150 Baht ATM fee. Yes, I saved the 150 Baht fee but was charged US $18.70 by the American bank. Never again! The ATM withdrawal only cost 150 Baht.

 

Aeon is at Central Festival, Siam TV, Tesco Kamtieng, and I believe Airport Plaza.

Great, many thanks for this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, elektrified said:

Be sure to ask your bank about counter withdrawals and how much it will cost!  I experimented by withdrawing 15,000 Baht from Bangkok Bank using my ATM debit card from an American bank I seldom ever use. I did this on the advice of people on this forum, claiming I would save the 150 Baht ATM fee. Yes, I saved the 150 Baht fee but was charged US $18.70 by the American bank. Never again! The ATM withdrawal only cost 150 Baht.

 

Aeon is at Central Festival, Siam TV, Tesco Kamtieng, and I believe Airport Plaza.

Maximum I can get per transaction from my overseas account at the ATM is 30,000baht. They charge me 220baht per transaction. If you don’t mind could  you share which ATM charges only 150baht. Wouldn’t mind saving a few baht per transaction. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously not foreign, but my Bangkok Bank debit card has a current limit of ฿50,000 per day and ฿25,000 per ATM transaction.  I actually tried to have it reduced, for safety reasons, and was told that was the minimum amount.  No idea why whey would object to a lower amount. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tongjaw said:

Maximum I can get per transaction from my overseas account at the ATM is 30,000baht. They charge me 220baht per transaction. If you don’t mind could  you share which ATM charges only 150baht. Wouldn’t mind saving a few baht per transaction. Thanks 

American bank? No surprise there.

 

Aeon Finance Co. which used to be free, charges 150 Baht for a withdrawal. They are all over Thailand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, elektrified said:

No, that may be for American banks but not for European banks. My Maestro Card withdrawal limit was 5,000 CHF per day but I was told by Aeon that 60,000 Baht was the maximum the ATM would dispense at one time.  I never could get 60K, only 58K. I think once I got 59K. Aeon said that was a security measure - I have no idea how -1-2K THB was a security measure. At the time, Aeon did not charge a service charge.

I see now the OP has specified EU, wasn't included in the OP.

 

Even worse, I completely blanked about Aeon ATMs, which I used to use routinely but years ago; so thanks for correcting that.  A good reminder to me as well.   I remember now, being able to receive between 30-33,000 Baht for the Aeon ATM transaction, which was close to my daily limit of $1,000, variation due to FOREX.  I would go back the next day for one more of those, and that was my cash for the month, deposited in Thai bank account.

 

Anyway, good luck OP, hope it all works out well for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Anyway, good luck OP, hope it all works out well for you.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My limit set by U.S. Credit Union, but can call and set a higher approved limit. I quit using ATM and counter transferred instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
2
On 4/12/2019 at 6:21 PM, elektrified said:

I experimented by withdrawing 15,000 Baht from Bangkok Bank using my ATM debit card from an American bank I seldom ever use. I did this on the advice of people on this forum, claiming I would save the 150 Baht ATM fee. Yes, I saved the 150 Baht fee but was charged US $18.70 by the American bank. Never again!

How did your bank justify a fee for the withdrawal of money already in your account?

Are you sure that was not a foreign currency charge, maybe 2 or 3% of the amount, rather than a set fee for a counter withdrawal of any size?

This is the first time I have heard of this on a debit card, I hope it is not the first sign of a shift away from this handy loophole.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...