Opening day for Songkran road carnage sees 46 killed

webfact

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Having been in a province several times in my 18 years here with a reported zero deaths and knowing for a fact that roads deaths have occurred.

Having several Police friends who say the official stats are nowhere near give a true figure because of under reporting.

I could go on but the most telling indicator is the authorities themselves calling Songkran 'The Seven Deadly Days'.

Absolutely, and they only ever report the deaths as a death when it occurs at the scene. If they die 12 hours later it does not get totted up onto this tally!

20 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

According to the World Health Organization, Thailand averages 66 road deaths EVERY day. 

Thas right, thas right.

WHO annual reporting at end of year, using multiple gathering sources, claims around 66 deaths a day as average

however.... official Thai figures are around 32 a day.... about half of what WHO claim...... so..... if thai officials say 46, the real number might be closer to 90.

stay safe.... wear a condom

1 hour ago, SuwadeeS said:

As everybody knows about this culture.

It is well known how they bend the truth.

They even modified, erased and rewrite history books.

Who is going to believe their given numbers???

They do modify records (seen by myself), misreport and also do fake.

There is no reason to believe anything.

Should we believe your post?

I am so glad we left Thailand last year, for 20 years we hibernated during this stupid songcran crap, stocked up with wine, DVD box sets, food for 2 weeks driving no where it was perfect, we lived. Best thing we ever did to return to UK

The article states 648 accidents yesterday. I am certain that didn't include the Songthaew I saw crumpled against a concrete wall along the river Ping, just outside CM. There were no police there and the driver just looked pie-eyed, rather than injured. This was at 5.30pm. doubtful of being included in the 'accident' total.

Nor the motorbike on it's side about 2Km away, (5 minutes later), along a secondary road heading towards Hang Dong. The motorbike rider looked shaken up, maybe some slight injuries.

nor, probably another hundred or so 'minor' accidents across the country not attended by the police/ambulance/medical teams.?. They are all 'vehicle' accidents on the first day of Songkran, are they not?

Incorrect reporting...…..

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Opening day for Songkran road carnage sees 46 killed

Considering an average day is over 60, that's an improvement.  But for this small country it's still carnage, and will continue to be until this country adopts actual enforcement.  Road blocks aren't enforcement.  Cops in patrol cars is enforcement.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Arkhom said most accidents involved drunk driving (34.6 per cent) and speeding (26.9 per cent) and warned that drunk drivers involved in a fatal crash would certainly be jailed.

If you DUI and kill anyone it's murder... injured is attempted murder... nothing less!

Time for the courts to back-up the police!

22 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Was water throwing involved?

Good question, but I get the feeling that ie, if someone threw water over a motorcyclist, forced

him/her of it and killed them, it would not be reported.

I have been here for 13 Songcrans and never yet saw any reports of any deaths in these circumstances.

1 hour ago, alzack said:

I am so glad we left Thailand last year, for 20 years we hibernated during this stupid songcran crap, stocked up with wine, DVD box sets, food for 2 weeks driving no where it was perfect, we lived. Best thing we ever did to return to UK

That's fine if you don't mind sharing your life with all these immigrants, paying this tax and that tax, this licence and that licence, having to get permission to do this and do that. Should I go on?

So far I remember some high police officers in some provinces lost their jobs after Songkran last year, because their provinces where high ranked with traffic deads. I am sure all learned from it and will report a small number this year. 

33 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:
23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

As far as I am aware, 'water fighting' hasn't started yet.

33 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Oh, Yes it has 

Officially (or what counts for official in this country) it didn't start until today (Saturday) But I'm sure there would have been some enthusiastic early starters around.

Like in our village last night!

Enjoy Songkran.

That 66 deaths a day is from 2013 and out of date. The latest figure (2018 report) is a total of 21745 deaths - still absurdly high but averaging 59.5 a day - 74.4% from motorcycles.

https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/277370/WHO-NMH-NVI-18.20-eng.pdf

While the figure of 46 in a day is below average and includes deaths away from the scene, it doesn't include those people who die AFTER the figure is announced. When the overall figures get released later they will bring the average up as the post-announcement deaths get recorded.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:52 PM, silverhawk_usa said:

According to the World Health Organization, Thailand averages 66 road deaths EVERY day. 

Which just goes to show how successful these campaigns have been! Only 48 dead, that's a 27% down on a usual tally! OK, once a few of the injured succumb in hospitals and the real figure increases to, say 55 dead, it will still be hailed a resounding success.

N.B.: If I sound a sarcastic old git, it's because I am. Ten dead is ten too many!

47 minutes ago, hobobo said:
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:52 PM, silverhawk_usa said:

47 minutes ago, hobobo said:

Which just goes to show how successful these campaigns have been! Only 48 dead, that's a 27% down on a usual tally! OK, once a few of the injured succumb in hospitals and the real figure increases to, say 55 dead, it will still be hailed a resounding success.

N.B.: If I sound a sarcastic old git, it's because I am. Ten dead is ten too many!

The reduction in the day's tally can actually be explained by the heavy presence of police on the highways. So, to a degree, they can claim a success of sorts.

However as we all know, the bulk of RTA deaths are the result motorcycle accidents which occur away from the scrutiny of the police and so they continue unabated, no matter what efforts the RTP make.

And it's always been thus, every day of the year. 'The Seven Dangerous Days' campaign may be a good 'public awareness' exercise, but will not have any great impact on the death rates until they find a way of getting to the root of the problem. Young drunken male motorcyclists on rural roads.

And it's no secret. They all know it from the top down.

Archived