Volunteers launch massive beach clean up on Mat Sum Island

snoop1130

1.JPG

Samui VIP Speed Boat has took part in a huge clean up of the beach at Mat Sum Island off Koh Samui last Friday.

After storms battered Koh Samui in January, the local authority on the island had made a concerted effort to clean up the beaches on the island popular with tourists.

2.JPG

However, the beaches on the Mat Sum Island had been forgotten with trash and debris from the storm washed up on the shoreline.

Luckily, the guys from Samui VIP Speed Boat stepped in to clean up the island.

3.JPG

They published the request for help from volunteers to join forces and go out for the day to clean the beach.

Offering their luxury speed boats, cold drinks, tools and plastic garbage bags,

all volunteers gathered together and cruised down there from BangKao pier.

4.JPG

About 40 people, locals, foreigners and residents of Samui did a great job and collected massive amounts of trash keeping the beach in much better shape.

After a couple of hours cleaning, the group had some great time cruising around, enjoying the amazing views and relaxing on Matsum Island before heading back to Samui.

5.JPG

It was great to see the local community working together to make things better.  

Following on from the success of the last beach clean up, the Samui VIP Speed Boat plan a second beach clean up day in the near future. To keep updated about that event and other events in the future, follow Samui VIP Speed Boat on Facebook.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-12

uh Great VIP boating took the initiative to gather volunteers ( mostly farangs on holiday) to clean up the isolated island but... 

With the tourist dollar that flows into these vacation spots, you would think the local municipal government  could afford to pay some poor locals a measly 300 baht a day to pick up the litter daily or weekly. I have helped pick up litter along Pattaya & Jomtien beaches and the Thais just sit there. ( It’s a farang activity) I now refuse to join some community group to pick up trash left on the beach mostly left by the locals. I see this bad habit the past 15 years. 

37 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

A good story for a change!

I agree but as with everything there often is a downside.  Thailand has minimal land fill sites so generally this garbage is disposed of to a general "collector".  If my area is an example then the bags of garbage are subsequently broken open and the contents sorted for recycling. That's good, but the down side is that during this process the loose plastics, bags etc are not gathered efficiently so at the next period of high winds the plastics get lifted up and transported in the air before dropping anywhere.  Subsequently endangering wild life again but to a smaller extent I suppose.

12 hours ago, doremifasol said:

Can someone organize a cleaning event of this sort

on Kho Samed please? The place is filthy!!!!! ????

There is so much trash all over the land!!!!!

Samed could be the jewel of Rayong............

but it is a  trash field instead. 

Why?

You could always organise a cleaning event yourself?

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

You could always organise a cleaning event yourself?

I was not talking about beach cleaning, which is an activity many

conscious and caring people do on a daily bases.

What is needed is a large scale inland clean-up.

Only the provincial administration with access to resources

such as trucks and excavators could improve the situation.

If you go yourself you'll know what I am talking about. 

Kho Samed could be the "Jewel of Rayong" and the national

park worthy of carrying the title.

Too sad

57 minutes ago, doremifasol said:

I was not talking about beach cleaning, which is an activity many

conscious and caring people do on a daily bases.

What is needed is a large scale inland clean-up.

Only the provincial administration with access to resources

such as trucks and excavators could improve the situation.

If you go yourself you'll know what I am talking about. 

Kho Samed could be the "Jewel of Rayong" and the national

park worthy of carrying the title.

Too sad

We have a community based clean up in Oz.

its everywhere n everything !!!

not just easy to stroll on beaches n the public is really behind it each year.

its called Cleanup Australia Day????

started by one man!

Ian Keirnan ????????????

blessing upon your memory n spirit Ian.

if you don’t like the state of where you live then get up n do something about it. Stop waiting for someone else to do it.

Same company that arrange tours there to make money. 

Can not pay their staff to do the cleanup. 

When I went there 20 years ago it was beautiful pristine place. 

Last year it had restaurants, bars, jetski rental, garbage everywhere. 

This is a nature reserve. 

Not to mention the illegal resort they built. 

They can not even pick up their own garbage, makes me sick. 

BTW, it's Koh Mutsum (Island of the orange ants) 

I find these stories rather disheartening.

I appreciate it takes a lot of effort and for a short while the beaches will LOOK better, but this activity does NOTHING to address the sources of the problem.

I can see that they are publicizing the problem, but in fact they may actually have a negative effect as it makes people think that the waste problems on these islands is actually improving when the reality is it is getting worse.

I would like to see exactly how the rubbish they have collected is disposed of - let's hope for heavens sake it hasn't been taken to Koh Samui, but placed on the mainland.

5 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

We have a community based clean up in Oz.

its everywhere n everything !!!

not just easy to stroll on beaches n the public is really behind it each year.

its called Cleanup Australia Day????

started by one man!

Ian Keirnan ????????????

blessing upon your memory n spirit Ian.

if you don’t like the state of where you live then get up n do something about it. Stop waiting for someone else to do it.

"if you don’t like the state of where you live then get up n do something about it. Stop waiting for someone else to do it."

Where I live is spotless. And that's very far from Koh Samet.

16 minutes ago, doremifasol said:

"if you don’t like the state of where you live then get up n do something about it. Stop waiting for someone else to do it."

Where I live is spotless. And that's very far from Koh Samet.

I cant see. That the location of an observer in any way mitigates the problem. I also have yet to see a "spotless" location in Thailand.

they should have left it as is.... au naturale.

in fact, add more trash to make it look worse. so when we go home we have had a genuine travel experience where we remember how much we have trashed our planet... and in other ways that make a trashy beach look like “child’s play”.

it’s the same with Notre Dame... which is in actuality an iconic tourist attraction, not a cathedral.  it’s a huge mega mega project to restore or replace it.... mega mega.  as a place of worship???

nope.

and to trash our planet.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst the intentions of the volunteers are to be commended, the fact that this sort of thing is becoming fashionable/frequent should be an embarrassment to the locals that they can't be arsed to sort it out. 

31 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Whilst the intentions of the volunteers are to be commended, the fact that this sort of thing is becoming fashionable/frequent should be an embarrassment to the locals that they can't be arsed to sort it out. 

I think th intentions are questionable as it is the disposal of garbage that is the crux of the matter......I'm sure their efforts will make the beaches look better for a couple of days but it really isn't addressing the real problem

1.JPG.2f8d5227f6f9b9a7146141fac3dcea9c.JPG

Samui VIP Speed Boat has took part in a huge clean up of the beach at Mat Sum Island off Koh Samui last Friday.

After storms battered Koh Samui in January, the local authority on the island had made a concerted effort to clean up the beaches on the island popular with tourists.

2.JPG.a4d412e3ea0ea8eefda4fef3cae0ebfa.JPG

However, the beaches on the Mat Sum Island had been forgotten with trash and debris from the storm washed up on the shoreline.

Luckily, the guys from Samui VIP Speed Boat stepped in to clean up the island.

3.JPG.409b04ee3f0fea583f58dfe131e381c7.JPG

They published the request for help from volunteers to join forces and go out for the day to clean the beach.

Offering their luxury speed boats, cold drinks, tools and plastic garbage bags,
all volunteers gathered together and cruised down there from BangKao pier.

4.JPG.91e1a0c2cb0bfdebe53cc148feeb7123.JPG

About 40 people, locals, foreigners and residents of Samui did a great job and collected massive amounts of trash keeping the beach in much better shape.

After a couple of hours cleaning, the group had some great time cruising around, enjoying the amazing views and relaxing on Matsum Island before heading back to Samui.

5.JPG.5654351839eac86118541234ab3af74c.JPG

It was great to see the local community working together to make things better.  

Following on from the success of the last beach clean up, the Samui VIP Speed Boat plan a second beach clean up day in the near future. To keep updated about that event and other events in the future, follow Samui VIP Speed Boat on Facebook.

thai%2Bvisa_news.jpg&key=07605ee8009e033e42aebb80e2dcd682bb500b914912a36112e686ab3ed5fbdc
-- [emoji2398] Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-12
Work permts ?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived