UK parliament very likely to consider new Brexit referendum - Hammond

snoop1130

UK parliament very likely to consider new Brexit referendum - Hammond

vfdv.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond leaves Downing Street in London, Britain April 10, 2019. REUTERS/Hannah Mckay/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - British finance minister Philip Hammond said on Friday it was very likely that the idea of a second Brexit referendum would again be put to parliament at some point, although the government remained opposed to any new plebiscite.

Hammond also said time would be tight to hold a new referendum before Oct. 31 when Britain is due to leave the European Union.

“It’s a proposition that could and, on all the evidence, is very likely to be put to parliament at some stage,” Hammond told reporters in Washington where he is attending meetings at the International Monetary Fund.

The idea of a new referendum was among several Brexit alternatives to Prime Minister Theresa May’s deal that were put to lawmakers in the last month but which all fell short of a majority in parliament.

Hammond said May’s government was sticking to its opposition to any new referendum.

“The government’s position has not changed. The government is opposed to a confirmatory referendum and therefore we would not be supporting it,” he said.

However, many lawmakers in the opposition Labour Party are putting pressure on their leader Jeremy Corbyn to include a new referendum in his demands in talks with the government about how to break the Brexit impasse in parliament.

Hammond said he expected the government and Labour would strike a deal in the next couple of months.

He said any new referendum would probably take six months to organise, meaning time would be tight ahead of the new, delayed Brexit date of Oct. 31 which was agreed by EU leaders this week.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-12

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is stating the obvious really. Other then to a blind right wing Brexiteer it is obvious that only a second referendum will resolve the issue.  Hopefully this time it will be based on facts rather than fear mongering and free of bribes to the DUP.  This time it needs to ask the question to voters do you agree with the Brexit agreement as currently negotiated Terms or not ? A No vote should automatically trigger the revocation of Article 50 to ensure no further ambiguity.

He is stating the obvious really. Other then to a blind right wing Brexiteer it is obvious that only a second referendum will resolve the issue.  Hopefully this time it will be based on facts rather than fear mongering and free of bribes to the DUP.  This time it needs to ask the question to voters do you agree with the Brexit agreement as currently negotiated Terms or not ? A No vote should automatically trigger the revocation of Article 50 to ensure no further ambiguity.

A " NO VOTE " then should automatically trigger " NO DEAL ".

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

A " NO VOTE " then should automatically trigger " NO DEAL ".

I guess as it appears you did not fully understand my suggestion, and hence your obtuse reply, it illustrates only to clearly the issues facing parliament and the dilemma facing the British electorate, should there be another referendum, insofar as many do not understand what it is they are voting for.????????????

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

I guess as it appears you did not fully understand my suggestion, and hence your obtuse reply, it illustrates only to clearly the issues facing parliament and the dilemma facing the British electorate, should there be another referendum, insofar as many do not understand what it is they are voting for.????????????

Is it possible to have another "once in a lifetime referendum"????????????

I guess as it appears you did not fully understand my suggestion, and hence your obtuse reply, it illustrates only to clearly the issues facing parliament and the dilemma facing the British electorate, should there be another referendum, insofar as many do not understand what it is they are voting for.[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
Do not worry..if I am any judge..more than 17.4 million would vote for NO DEAL.!!!

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Is it possible to have another "once in a lifetime referendum"????????????

Depends whose or what lifetime is used as reference I guess.  There was one in my parents lifetime but already two in mine. However there were none in my pet dogs lifetime.

3 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Depends whose or what lifetime is used as reference I guess.  There was one in my parents lifetime but already two in mine. However there were none in my pet dogs lifetime.

Another nonsense post, could do so much better.

Not happy with the result so now have another which will have the same outcome and even bigger majority.

The British public is pretty well pissed off with parliament and the politicians who serve their own interests instead of the way the voters voted.

2 minutes ago, nev said:

Not happy with the result so now have another which will have the same outcome and even bigger majority.

The British public is pretty well pissed off with parliament and the politicians who serve their own interests instead of the way the voters voted.

For every view of yours someone will counter with “its not the Brexit we voted for “ so there is only one answer to stop the squabbling. 

If you’re right then it will sail through again. 

47 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Brexiteers do not understand.

It should not be a rerun of the 2016 farcical Referendum, it should be: "Do we continue trying to come to a consensus on leaving, or admit it was a big mistake and we now wish to revoke Article 50"

4 minutes ago, nev said:

Well, the problem with your contention is that last time, young voters didn't turn out in such large numbers. Now that's usually the case. But given how overwhelmingly younger Britons favor continued membership in the EU, it seems likely that they will be energized to vote in the next referendum if there is another referendum. And given that they have a much larger pool of voters who didn't vote last time, their potential increased turnout is much greater.

Anti Brexit demonstration 1,000,000 attend.

Retract A50 Petition 6,000,000+ in the largest and fastest growing ever petition.

Pro Brexit ‘Jarrow March’ - a few dozen turn up, most too closely related.

Pro Brexit Demonstration <1000 turn up.

Brexit Party Facebook Page 18,000 followers in 3months, considerably less than a fluffy kitten gets on a wet weekend.

Second referendum - Hell yes!

Just now, SheungWan said:

If Parliament so decides, then yes.

The only MPs that want another referendum are the ones that didn't want to leave in the first place, but it's a great pass the book exercise, we can blame it on the electorate and keep our seats, job done. Parliament is in meltdown and I suspect you know that already, it is not fit for purpose.

Just now, vogie said:

The only MPs that want another referendum are the ones that didn't want to leave in the first place, but it's a great pass the book exercise, we can blame it on the electorate and keep our seats, job done. Parliament is in meltdown and I suspect you know that already, it is not fit for purpose.

Hard Brexiteers in meltdown.

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Anti Brexit demonstration 1,000,000 attend.

Retract A50 Petition 6,000,000+ in the largest and fastest growing ever petition.

Pro Brexit ‘Jarrow March’ - a few dozen turn up, most too closely related.

Pro Brexit Demonstration <1000 turn up.

Brexit Party Facebook Page 18,000 followers in 3months, considerably less than a fluffy kitten gets on a wet weekend.

Second referendum - Hell yes!

According to the TVF Brexiteers they are 17.4 million and do not have to get out of bed to protest, sign petitions, march, etc.

But they should check they have not died in there sleep. ????

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m up for this.

A second referendum, I love a good old political campaign and will head to the UK to take part.

Just think of it, I’ll be able to give you live updates from the front.

Do stay tuned.

I think everybody's mind is already made up, lets just have a quick snap referendum, without all the crap, fake news and lies.  

Archived