UK parliament very likely to consider new Brexit referendum - Hammond

snoop1130

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Is it possible to have another "once in a lifetime referendum"????????????

I certainly hope that the 2016 referendum on pink unicorns was a once in a lifetime mistake, and that a potential referendum on Brexit will also be a once in a lifetime referendum. 

26 minutes ago, nev said:

Not happy with the result so now have another which will have the same outcome and even bigger majority.

Alright, let’s do this! 

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, malagateddy said:

Do not worry..if I am any judge..more than 17.4 million would vote for NO DEAL.!!!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It will need a lot more than 17.4 million either way.

There will have to be a bill to authorise the referendum and it will be framed a lot more tightly next time.

One example of the tightening will be a requirement for a supermajority.

The reset button will have been pushed, the 2016 referendum will be held to be irrelevant (as everybody knows it already is) and failure to achieve a supermajority will mean that the default position before the next referendum (UK in the Union) will be maintained.

And that will be an end to it.

54 minutes ago, Basil B said:

According to the TVF Brexiteers they are 17.4 million and do not have to get out of bed to protest, sign petitions, march, etc. //

They were...

How many of the old retirees who voted for Brexit are today dead already ?

How many young people who were not old enough are now 18+ and able to vote ?

6 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

They were...

Funny you should say that.

Was not going to post this but:

In January 2019 Britain will officially switch from a pro-Brexit to an anti ...

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2289117/how-many-of-the-17-4-million-who-voted-leave-have-now-died-statistically-speaking

17 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Still a few of the old farts breathing Gods  good  air .  

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Is it possible to have another "once in a lifetime referendum"????????????

Unlike Scottish independence, this was not billed as a "once in a lifetime" opportunity.

Personally, I think that a second referendum would further undermine the sovereignty of parliament, and unless people feel the full pain of the consequences of their decisions, they will keep on acting in ignorance.

My wife, and the social welfare busybodies, did not agree with my approach to parenting.

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

They were...

And how many immigrants from the E.u. Have now acquired British citizenship, thus allowing them to vote and support remain.

B75EE1DB-1B56-4651-9A7B-01639E109230.jpeg

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

As the moderators have made explicitly and for some, painfully, clear, questioning the nationality of a poster is irrelevant and worse. What's more, it's stupid since what matters is knowledge. And neither ignorance  nor knowledge are confined to those who are citizens of the UK.

But it only effects the British people. Therefore they are the important ones.

Try sticking your nose in Thai politics and see what happens.

F54B4E95-5A70-4A1E-8E80-46BC0D8AFD86.jpeg

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

Anti Democracy 1: March 29

Anti Democracy 2: April 12

88CE3A21-246B-4FD7-85E6-546155CC8252.jpeg

A democratically elected parliament and government have made democratic decisions within its constitutional mandate. You Brexiteers are clearly abusing the word democracy for your petty little failing fight against our society and economy. Get a life. 

12 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

He is stating the obvious really. Other then to a blind right wing Brexiteer it is obvious that only a second referendum will resolve the issue.  Hopefully this time it will be based on facts rather than fear mongering and free of bribes to the DUP.  This time it needs to ask the question to voters do you agree with the Brexit agreement as currently negotiated Terms or not ? A No vote should automatically trigger the revocation of Article 50 to ensure no further ambiguity.

So you think another referendum should only give the option to accept the eu/may brino deal, and if that brino deal is rejected by the electorate we automatically remain?

i.e. no chance of voting to leave, the option that 'won' in the '16 referendum!

D/d..
Please don't waste your precious time with the ultra remoaners.
Just let them waffle on as democracy is only a good thing when it suits them

So you think another referendum should only give the option to accept the eu/may brino deal, and if that brino deal is rejected by the electorate we automatically remain?

i.e. no chance of voting to leave, the option that 'won' in the '16 referendum!
tapatalk_1554542882860.jpegtapatalk_1555117425964.jpeg

5 hours ago, nontabury said:

And how many immigrants from the E.u. Have now acquired British citizenship, thus allowing them to vote and support remain.

B75EE1DB-1B56-4651-9A7B-01639E109230.jpeg

One of the arguments made by Brexiteers wrt to British citizens living in Europe, and hence most impacted by the result, being denied a vote was ‘well electoral law only gives the vote to British citizens living in the UK’.

well that is correct.

Now you seem to have a problem with British citizens living in the UK having a vote.

11 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

D/d..
Please don't waste your precious time with the ultra remoaners.
Just let them waffle on as democracy is only a good thing when it suits them

tapatalk_1554542882860.jpegtapatalk_1555117425964.jpeg

Because of course the referendum result put a stop to people holding and expressing an opinion that you don’t agree with.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

One of the arguments made by Brexiteers wrt to British citizens living in Europe, and hence most impacted by the result, being denied a vote was ‘well electoral law only gives the vote to British citizens living in the UK’.

well that is correct.

Now you seem to have a problem with British citizens living in the UK having a vote.

Not at all - another post that is just wrong.

Brits. living abroad for less than 15 (?) years can vote, and I haven't seen anyone arguing that this is wrong.

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not at all - another post that is just wrong.

Brits. living abroad for less than 15 (?) years can vote, and I haven't seen anyone arguing that this is wrong.

Thanks for the correction.

Adding the 15 year stipulation corrects my statement wrt British citizens overseas.

Where is the argument against British citizens in the UK having a vote?

Archived