UK parliament very likely to consider new Brexit referendum - Hammond

snoop1130

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After almost 3 years it is patently obvious that the country is too split to continue; the elected representatives are unable to agree a way forward; logical conclusion is stop, re-assess and make a new plan. It's like having allowed the kids a choice on which theme park to attend, but they then squabble and bicker over the choice. Go to your rooms and come back down when you can have a civilised conversation. Revoke Article 50 ….. have any number of referendums, general elections, indicative votes but come up with a plan first, then act like adults and negotiate an agreement both internally and externally.

Europe has us by the short and curlies; our fault for sure. Be bold - suggest a referendum in NI on unifying the island of Ireland to solve that impasse (it's gonna happen at some stage) - reward for that, if we are to leave EU, would be that Great Britain remains in common market, free trade agreement with most red lines intact. Sorry Scotland, geographically logical.

But what we really lack is a vision to which people can aspire and for which they can be valued, a vision that accepts our diminished role in the world but continues to harvest our pragmatism and inventiveness - a truly secular state, revamped legislature, removal of House of Lords cronyism, a constitution for all, and most importantly a fairer distribution of land and wealth. The market should not be king. Basic health, transport, housing and education should receive far greater investment as the building blocks of society - paid for through fairer and increased taxation. Decentralisation of London, cancel HS2, cancel 3rd runway in favour of 2nd at Manchester or Birmingham, ditch the nuclear, invest more in renewables, listen to and respect Scotland and Wales …...

I'll go back to dreaming …….

6 minutes ago, Disaantri said:

After almost 3 years it is patently obvious that the country is too split to continue; the elected representatives are unable to agree a way forward; logical conclusion is stop, re-assess and make a new plan. It's like having allowed the kids a choice on which theme park to attend, but they then squabble and bicker over the choice. Go to your rooms and come back down when you can have a civilised conversation.

Indeed................... but you would not change the theme park just because the kids were squabbling.

Calm the kids down then enjoy the same roller coaster that you already booked.

14 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

I guess as it appears you did not fully understand my suggestion, and hence your obtuse reply, it illustrates only to clearly the issues facing parliament and the dilemma facing the British electorate, should there be another referendum, insofar as many do not understand what it is they are voting for.????????????

He understands you "suggestion" just fine, which is to use a rejection of this so-called deal as an excuse to void leaving the EU completely, which has been the ultimate desire and aim of remainers all along.

15 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

He is stating the obvious really. Other then to a blind right wing Brexiteer it is obvious that only a second referendum will resolve the issue.  Hopefully this time it will be based on facts rather than fear mongering and free of bribes to the DUP.  This time it needs to ask the question to voters do you agree with the Brexit agreement as currently negotiated Terms or not ? A No vote should automatically trigger the revocation of Article 50 to ensure no further ambiguity.

What bribes to DUP?

18 minutes ago, Disaantri said:

Nice one, but no-one has booked anything as yet …… only talked about it. May have attempted to pay several times but they seem to have the wrong PIN number! And the great thing about intelligence is that you can change your mind!

Precisely.

Our 'representatives' have done everything in their power to bypass the referendum result - which is why some of us with intelligence are extremely annoyed about what has happened.

22 minutes ago, Disaantri said:

Nice one, but no-one has booked anything as yet …… only talked about it. May have attempted to pay several times but they seem to have the wrong PIN number! And the great thing about intelligence is that you can change your mind!

Of course.  And after this fiasco hopefully (whether intelligent or not) - the electorate realise that their 'representatives'  are nothing of the sort!....

7 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

So thats it,remainer May looks as if her and the other remainers will get their way,sold out by politicians yet again

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

To look on the bright side, hopefully more than a few remainer MPs will lose their seats at the next GE, and more than a few brexit MEPs will be elected at the eu election of MEPS ????.

14 hours ago, nev said:

Not happy with the result so now have another which will have the same outcome and even bigger majority.

The British public is pretty well pissed off with parliament and the politicians who serve their own interests instead of the way the voters voted.

How do you figure this out. most of the polls indicate the opposite. Remain seems to be becoming more popular than to leave. All my relatives in the UK voted to leave, but now all of them having realised what Brexit really means, will now vote to stay

Brexiteers do not understand.

It should not be a rerun of the 2016 farcical Referendum, it should be: "Do we continue trying to come to a consensus on leaving, or admit it was a big mistake and we now wish to revoke Article 50"
Wrong

Choices

NO DEAL..May's shambolic appeasement ..revoke A50

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

I guess as it appears you did not fully understand my suggestion, and hence your obtuse reply, it illustrates only to clearly the issues facing parliament and the dilemma facing the British electorate, should there be another referendum, insofar as many do not understand what it is they are voting for.????????????

How can you have a second referendum while the first referendum has not been completed yet?

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

So you think another referendum should only give the option to accept the eu/may brino deal, and if that brino deal is rejected by the electorate we automatically remain?

i.e. no chance of voting to leave, the option that 'won' in the '16 referendum!

Accept the May deal and the UK will leave. Parliament has already given the answer that the UK should not leave without a deal so the second referendum will only need those two choices as I had previously speculated, or else it will be the same old issue of non decision.

5 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Accept the May deal and the UK will leave. Parliament has already given the answer that the UK should not leave without a deal so the second referendum will only need those two choices as I had previously speculated, or else it will be the same old issue of non decision.

The May deal is an EU deal. We need a good deal for all sides. Then there can be consensus. Amen.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

How can you have a second referendum while the first referendum has not been completed yet?

Something you missed ? The referendum was undertaken in 2016.  The results and reccomendation thereof was completed in the same year.  The government acted upon that and article 50 was activated. The legal requirement based on the the first referendum and its passage thro parliament is not completed and unlikely to do so.  Hence a second referendum will be undertaken.

In summary then 3 years ago the referendum was completed.Understand now ?

14 hours ago, Enoon said:

It will need a lot more than 17.4 million either way.

There will have to be a bill to authorise the referendum and it will be framed a lot more tightly next time.

One example of the tightening will be a requirement for a supermajority.

The reset button will have been pushed, the 2016 referendum will be held to be irrelevant (as everybody knows it already is) and failure to achieve a supermajority will mean that the default position before the next referendum (UK in the Union) will be maintained.

And that will be an end to it.

So what happens if neither Leave or Remain get the super majority?

1   Does the UK then revert to the original referendum result?

2   Go back to TMs plan that has already been rejected?

3   Automatically leave on a no deal?

4 or more ?????

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The May deal is an EU deal. We need a good deal for all sides. Then there can be consensus. Amen.

I am not actually sure whose deal it is. It is neither a deal that suits the right nor the left, the leavers or the remainers. Reading from many of the European press reports it appears many in the EU don't agree with the deal either. Irrespective of whose side you support the entire process is a shambles.

5 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Something you missed ? The referendum was undertaken in 2016.  The results and reccomendation thereof was completed in the same year.  The government acted upon that and article 50 was activated. The legal requirement based on the the first referendum and its passage thro parliament is not completed and unlikely to do so.  Hence a second referendum will be undertaken.

Something you missed? He's avin' a larf, innit>? 

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

One of the arguments made by Brexiteers wrt to British citizens living in Europe, and hence most impacted by the result, being denied a vote was ‘well electoral law only gives the vote to British citizens living in the UK’.

well that is correct.

Now you seem to have a problem with British citizens living in the UK having a vote.

That is not correct at all.

If you were on the electoral roll nad have not yet reached the 15 year time limit you are eligible to vote in general elections and referendums (possibly local elections as well).

Try doing a little research before you post things that are not true.

I voted to leave in the referendum and tactically voted Tory (to keep the Lib/Dems out) in the 2017 election.

I live in Thailand but I am registered to vote where I used to live and I made damn sure that my vote is kept open using a proxy voter.

29 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

It's always sad to hear that remainers think this way ☹️.

16 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

I haven't missed anything unless the UK has left the EU whilst I was asleep.

To repeat my question in case you failed to understand it.

"How can you have a second referendum while the first referendum has not been completed yet"?

The result of the 2016 referendum was for the UK to leave the EU. Until that happens, then how can you have another referendum?

15 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Hard Brexit failure 1: March 29

Hard Brexit failure 2: April 12.

15 hours ago, vogie said:

Brexit hasn't failed, parliament has failed miserably.

Such is reality in the Black Hole of Brexiteer Universe.

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So what happens if neither Leave or Remain get the super majority?

1   Does the UK then revert to the original referendum result?

2   Go back to TMs plan that has already been rejected?

3   Automatically leave on a no deal?

4 or more ?????

And that's the point.

We're arguing about the issue that our representatives' aren't representing us at all - and what should be the NEXT referendum question to ensure remain! ????

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I haven't missed anything unless the UK has left the EU whilst I was asleep.

To repeat my question in case you failed to understand it.

"How can you have a second referendum while the first referendum has not been completed yet"?

The result of the 2016 referendum was for the UK to leave the EU. Until that happens, then how can you have another referendum?

We can wake you up if it happens.

Archived