Using Power of Attorney to sell motorcycle

I had to leave Thailand a couple of years ago to attend to personal matters back in Canada, and I left a scooter with someone who agreed to store it for me. I've been away for longer than expected and would like to transfer ownership of the bike to him or someone he wants it to go to. 

I was told that I can fill out a power of attorney form (bilingual Thai/English) and send that along with a copy of my passport, including the visa page (I was on a non-0) and the green book. I heard that signing the green book, getting the POA form and passport pages notarized here in Canada then sending that bundle will be enough to let the other person transfer ownership. 

I suspect this type of situation has been discussed here, but I couldn't find the info. 

All help is appreciated, 

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Just let him use the scoot, they can just ins & road tax and use no worries. 

Thanks for the suggestion. That easy route is one I've considered, and I may end up going that way, but I'd prefer to have it legally out of my name if it's going back on the road.  

I hear that you'll need to send a copy of your "exit from Thailand" stamp in your passport along with all the other things mentioned...then "certificate of residence" is not required.

If it was me i'd just let the "someone" drive it (taxed and insured) until my return.

13 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Thanks for the suggestion. That easy route is one I've considered, and I may end up going that way, but I'd prefer to have it legally out of my name if it's going back on the road.  

Send him a copy of the green book he will need that to keep it road taxed & insured.

My friend gave me all the docs and I went and did the transfer to my name a couple if years ago, needed signed green book, power of attorney, and copy of passport and visa page  - no certificate of residence needed for selling....( for buying yes). Also he signed a  form or two ,  not sure, check this forum for forms needed, download and fill them up.

One thing though, at DLT office they noticed from the copy his visa expired a few days before, I went a few days after he left Thailand. So they picked on this, called the supervisor from the back and I thought they will not accept,  but supervisor said it's okay, it's only a few days, do it.... very lucky ! 

So not sure how would that work for you, every office have some of their own rules or flexibility,  ask your friend to go to DLT office,  preferably with a Thai person, and ask what exactly they need for your case...

Also sone agents can help for a fee, they charge handsomely though, two months ago they wanted 2k baht from me on my other bike  - I went and did it all myself for nothing...-:)

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

My friend gave me all the docs and I went and did the transfer to my name a couple if years ago, needed signed green book, power of attorney, and copy of passport and visa page  - no certificate of residence needed for selling....( for buying yes). Also he signed a  form or two ,  not sure, check this forum for forms needed, download and fill them up.

One thing though, at DLT office they noticed from the copy his visa expired a few days before, I went a few days after he left Thailand. So they picked on this, called the supervisor from the back and I thought they will not accept,  but supervisor said it's okay, it's only a few days, do it.... very lucky ! 

So not sure how would that work for you, every office have some of their own rules or flexibility,  ask your friend to go to DLT office,  preferably with a Thai person, and ask what exactly they need for your case...

Also sone agents can help for a fee, they charge handsomely though, two months ago they wanted 2k baht from me on my other bike  - I went and did it all myself for nothing...-:)

Thanks for that.  Lots of good info. 

Archived