Jellyfish anyone?

Brunolem

To escape Isaan boiling temperatures, the small family and I are planning to go to the beach, preferably in a place where the seawater is swimmable. 

How are things in Hua Hin these days when it comes to jellyfish, not to mention the cleanliness of the beach and the sea? 

If not good, we will probably go further South, on the Andaman coast... 

I have been visiting HH for many years and own a vacation home there. As far as I am aware the jellyfish problem in HH has not really changed over time, that is it remains a problem. The number of jellyfish seems to vary with the weather, currents and time of year. Stormy rough weather seems to bring them closer in. Sometimes there are very many and other times none are visible. I am sure there are others who have specific knowledge of the current situation. I was there last week and saw none on my one beach outing, Most of the jelly fish are the harmless large flat white/grey variety but the smaller red type is extremely dangerous. Over the years I have seen quite a few of the red ones washed up in the sand. So you do need to be careful. As regards water cleanliness that is hard to judge. Unlike, say Samui, the water off the cost of Hua Hin is rarely crystal clear because of sediment etc. That does not mean it’s dirty, just unclear. Having said that recently I visited Prachuap which is about an hour south of HH and the water there was beautifully clear. Unfortunately all of the main tourist areas of thailand have serious problems of one sort or another, many man made. So for unspoilt travel you need to get off the beaten path, as I am sure you know well. You might want to have a look at Prachuap. It’s very quiet and unspoilt.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Cha am (north) is pretty clean of jellyfish . I was there with my 2 kids and my girlfriend last month and not far from hua hin . Lots to do for the family also as it's close to water parks and farms etc for the kids .hope this helps 

Spent last week training apnea/freediving off Chalong on Phuket. Didn’t see a single fish during the entire week, only loads of jellyfish. On one afternoon we even had to change location because there were so many. The relentless trawling and poaching of its main predators - the tunas, swordfish, sharks and turtles - and rapidly warming seas due to climate change have created the perfect ocean desert in which only the jellies thrive...

To avoid stings, get yourself a mask and snorkel, and/or full body rash guard. Vinegar like Tarteso said is an absolute must (even if many restaurants by the beach should have some) and can make the difference between life and death in case of a box jellyfish for example (though most fatalities have occurred in the Koh Phangan/Samui/Tao area).

I was in Thing Waulean a few weeks ago. It's just North of Chumphon and south of Prachuap Kirikhan.

The water was crystal clear, it's a sheltered bay so waves are small, and it's beach was clean and deserted. No jellies at all and easy boats to small islands nearby.

I recommend Nana Beach hotel. Nice little bungalows @ 2300/night as well as hotel rooms at half that rate. Very nice breakfast buffet included and a nice pool with beach view.

Archived