Central World shopping center now safe

rooster59

Central World shopping center now safe

tewit kemtong

45e1105fd2a83fee686cb6a06e3036c1.jpg

BANGKOK, 12 April 2019 (NNT) - Central World shopping center in Pathumwan district of Bangkok has been inspected following Wednesday’s fire by officials of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s Office of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation and Office of Public Works as well as the Engineering Institute of Thailand and police from the Forensic Science Division. The authorities revealed that hot smoke had come from a basement room running up the air ducts into the eighth floor.

Phichaya Chantharanuwat, the secretary general of the Engineering Institute of Thailand, said the inspection has found out that hot smoke had arisen from the fire fighting pump room in the B2 basement ground and run up the vertical air ducts to the eighth floor of the building and spread throughout the floor.

Thirayut Phumisak, the deputy director of the BMA’s Office of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation the hot smoke found no exit from inside the building and become a huge blaze with a temperature of 700 to 800 degrees celcius, bursting the air ducts, blocking the exit to the fire ladders and spreading in all directions on the eighth floor.

Sirivat Chaichana, the secretary general of the Engineering Institute of Thailand, said blackish stains of smoke were spotted on some part of the air duct channel but assured that the building’s structures remain in strengthened condition. The institute has called for the design plats of the building to see if they have been laid as legally required.

Central World shopping center is reopening on Friday following the inspections by the authorities. The owners of about 3,000 automobiles which had remained in the building’s parking lot may register to retrieve their vehicles or have them washed free of charge. Central Pattana Co., the owner of the shopping center, has publicly assured the sustained safety of the building in accordance with the international safety standards for fire accidents.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-04-13

8 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Thirayut Phumisak, the deputy director of the BMA’s Office of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation the hot smoke found no exit from inside the building and become a huge blaze with a temperature of 700 to 800 degrees celcius, bursting the air ducts, blocking the exit to the fire ladders and spreading in all directions on the eighth floor.

And the plan to prevent this happening again is?

2 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:
20 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

publicly assured the sustained safety of the building in accordance with the international safety standards for fire accidents.

so in the last few days they have put in a working alarm system and sprinklers?

It only takes two minutes to switch the fire alarm system on again.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The institute has called for the design plats of the building to see if they have been laid as legally required.

So they have not seen the plans and do not know that everything has been built legally but can still declare it safe? ????

Sad how I thought the management/ owners of CentralPattana Co. up to international standards- including their Centura Hotels & resorts despite being in a developing country that does not necessarily enforce safety checks on fire escapes, fire extinguishers, or sprinkler systems. Now I trust no company in Thailand. 

Previous it was a waste processing room, probably a garbage press or incinerator, where the fire suppossed to have started.

It baffles me that there are no sprinklers installed in such a facility, especially if it is indoors inside a basement.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Had no idea they had waste processing plant on B2 floor. In light of this they definitely need to redesign the ventilation system so fire in one location can't spread to others.

That said - how many buildings have smoke/fire detectors and sprinklers inside air ducts?

Basically I'd like to see TV experts to write how they would have done it differently.

What I know is that advanced HVAC systems and fire detector systems separate the air flow from the affected areas.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

So they have not seen the plans and do not know that everything has been built legally but can still declare it safe? ????

Central Pattana Co., the owner of the shopping center, has publicly assured the sustained safety of the building in accordance with the international safety standards for fire accidents

I for one only believe it if a foreign expert says so.....

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Central Pattana Co., the owner of the shopping center, has publicly assured the sustained safety of the building in accordance with the international safety standards for fire accidents

I for one only believe it if a foreign expert says so.....

Two things:

1. As I read it, the company assured based on the architect/engineer's assessment that the BUILDING itself was safe, meaning, the fire had not damaged its structural integrity, which is no great leap considering the fire was contained to just a small part of a very large structure.

But that assessment is a whole different matter from the issue of whether the PEOPLE inside the building are being adequately protected in the event of a fire with adequate fire sprinkler and alarm systems, with almost no mention or explanation of the presence or role of fire sprinklers at all in the latest mishap.

2. From what I've read on this latest fire, the Thai authorities don't even seem to be able to agree on where the fire started and what caused it, with the police and the district chief guy giving very different explanations. So what does that likely tell everyone about the extent to which they'll take any remedial measures... Which is likely few or none.

• 5 months later...

Archived