Are you prepared for a medical emergency?

SoSoCNX

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, puukao said:

if my head is eaten by a crocodile, i'm not prepared.  

if i'm poisoned and will die in 1 second, i'm not prepared

what kind of emergency?

Amusing ????

i assume the op means things like..

..Heart attack, stroke, infectious disease, accident, cancer, etc..

im covered in the case of one potential event from personal savings and I also have minimal in-patient health insurance cover that I hope would pay out but never certain.

Does this help?

I think if your answer is yes I am covered, there are maybe 3 possible ways:

- I have an Insurance (preferable International one)

- I have enough funds available

- I trust in GoFundMe

I personally have an International Insurance (Cigna) which should help in that event.

If you really mean that questions, there are a lot of topics about that. Some even with a poll. If you want know something else, then you probably should put more information in your opening post.

Prepared?  but yes,but I do not do insurance.  Scoped Excellent Govt hospital,few miles away for accidents,(have min insurance for that)  5 000 a year...after that you only have to swat through the endless threads here,all or certainly most are selective and elective..meaning take your pick

Now with insurance it will be costly and money pot  quite minute if coffin-dodger,one cup of tea Pattaya BKK will have you in govt hospital in under half an hour

One punter recently paying close on 100gbp a week  insurance  did find not enough in pot,had to take selective and elective route,could have saved a fortune if decision earlier

Take one quoted and paid for op here Thailand at for profit private hospital..over 36000 GBP....short flight came down to 3000gbp  better experience too if punter had done his homework   Insurance not for me even after paying a heap of money you still do not know if they will pay up

Yes.

I am well insured (both general expat health insurance and personal accident insurance) and have identified where I would go in event it happened near home.

My household staff have photocopies of my insurance and hospital cards and know where to take me if the need arises.

And of course I keep my insurances cards in my wallet at all times.

5 hours ago, puukao said:

what kind of emergency?

why is your head anywhere near a crocodile?  Just curious. 

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

why is your head anywhere near a crocodile?  Just curious. 

I routinely swim throughout SE Asia, saving over 500 kids per year from drowning.  I also help the farmers from snakes, and create paths in the jungles for villagers to safely pass.  

it's no biggie......just trying to help my fellow human

16 hours ago, HampiK said:

I think if your answer is yes I am covered, there are maybe 3 possible ways:

- I have an Insurance (preferable International one)

- I have enough funds available

- I trust in GoFundMe

I personally have an International Insurance (Cigna) which should help in that event.

If you really mean that questions, there are a lot of topics about that. Some even with a poll. If you want know something else, then you probably should put more information in your opening post.

You forgot to mention alternative # 4. "If something goes wrong, I can always go back to my home-country". (As long as one's home country is a so called "nanny-state").

Amazingly, about 1/3 of my countrymen living in Thailand that I have ever met, rely on alternative # 4.
Understandable.

Once having invested the better part of his life-savings in some "Thai-Property" and his monthly "pension-money" serves mainly the purpose of keeping an extended Family-Clan satisfied, of course there is no money left for any sort of Health-Insurance.
Amen.

Got an Insurance for me and my wife that covers the serious stuff like strokes, heart attacks, accidents and so on for good standard hospitals..

Not includes the small medications, dentists, outpatient......

In Pattaya was a biker who had exactly this insurance and got a very serious accident, he was fully covered without any problems, so I took his recommendations and signed the same.

As far I remember it costs 72000 baht a year for me and my wife who keeps track on bills to pay so I am not fully sure, but its somewhere around this Number and it's AXA. 

6 hours ago, puukao said:

I routinely swim throughout SE Asia, saving over 500 kids per year from drowning.  I also help the farmers from snakes, and create paths in the jungles for villagers to safely pass.  

The Crocodiles of today sneak up on you in form of Cancer, Stroke, Dementia or in the best of cases of sudden Cadiac Arrest. 

Those "Crocodiles" never sleep. The older one get's, the higher the chances that one of those "Crocodiles" will nip you in the butt.

On 4/13/2019 at 7:36 AM, puukao said:

what kind of emergency?

I am pretty sure the op meant the one abt the crocodile. This btw is the only one I am insured for.. reattachment of the head will surely be expensive..

the rest. i self insure. 

46 minutes ago, kiniyow said:

No one will sell me insurance at my age BUT I have that 800,000 Immigrations wants for the visa to pay for Health Care

The 800k required by immigration has nothing at all to do with health care.

If you spend it for health care you will be denied further extension.

11 hours ago, swissie said:

You forgot to mention alternative # 4. "If something goes wrong, I can always go back to my home-country". (As long as one's home country is a so called "nanny-state").

Amazingly, about 1/3 of my countrymen living in Thailand that I have ever met, rely on alternative # 4.
Understandable.

Once having invested the better part of his life-savings in some "Thai-Property" and his monthly "pension-money" serves mainly the purpose of keeping an extended Family-Clan satisfied, of course there is no money left for any sort of Health-Insurance.
Amen.

I would say in some ways your option 4 is very similar to my option 3. As there are still a lot of possibilities where you not able to travel, or not have that much time to fly back home and make the arrangements that you are allowed to use their free hospital care. And in that cases, my option 3 would come in mind.

But to be honest, I also was thinking about this option, but it's to complicated and not secure enough. Especially when your plan is to life in Thailand. It's different, when you are only plan to spend let's say about half of your time in Thailand, then I think this would be a serious option together with for example the "Rega" options for Swiss.

22 minutes ago, perconrad said:

Yes, I have a few million THB saved for that and I have PA insurance also for MC accidents. Since I cancelled my health insurance I have saved more than 1,5 million THB in insurance premiums.

Mean you not used any claims in the let's say the last 20 years. Because for a good insurance this would be about the timeframe for saving 1.5 million baht.

Actually when you have enough money this is a valid option, as an Insurance is only mitigate problems from a small amount of people to a big amount of people.

32 minutes ago, perconrad said:

Yes, I have a few million THB saved for that and I have PA insurance also for MC accidents. Since I cancelled my health insurance I have saved more than 1,5 million THB in insurance premiums.

A single hospitalization can use that up. What is your plan for replenishing it?

17 hours ago, puukao said:

If you can save beaches - We need you in Pattaya!...

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The 800k required by immigration has nothing at all to do with health care.

If you spend it for health care you will be denied further extension.

just bring in anather 800,000thb or more if needed...if an expat cant do this or  has no insurance---he shouldnt be in thailand..

If you mean does one have health insurance cover, YES, as do all (6) family members including oneself.

Are we prepared for a medical emergency, well.......both the wife and I drive, local hospital is a 15 minute drive, private hospital is an hours drive, now depending on the emergency if and when it occurs, we will then decide which hospital would be best to drive to.

We can only prepare ourselves as best we can to get to the hospital/s in time, the rest would be up to the hospital staff best equipped to handle an emergency.

Cost of total cover 120,000 baht.

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

A single hospitalization can use that up. What is your plan for replenishing it?

sheryl, you must be an insurance broker... you are so actively promoting insurance...what about self funding for those who have ample funds, but find it  too risky to give insurance companies huge premiums, that increase substantially after 65yrs,  only to find out that the insurance company has a loop hole which enables them not to pay out..a regular occurence... also many people may have pre- existing conditions ,that also help to exclude them...

10 minutes ago, murraynz said:

sheryl, you must be an insurance broker... you are so actively promoting insurance...what about self funding for those who have ample funds, but find it  too risky to give insurance companies huge premiums, that increase substantially after 65yrs,  only to find out that the insurance company has a loop hole which enables them not to pay out..a regular occurence... also many people may have pre- existing conditions ,that also help to exclude them...

we had this debate on TV less then  2 weeks ago, it's been done to death on here. 

1 hour ago, kiniyow said:

No one will sell me insurance at my age BUT I have that 800,000 Immigrations wants for the visa to pay for Health Care

Depends on the illness, but 800,000 baht won't go far in a private hospital.

15 minutes ago, murraynz said:

Also, there are those in their 70's and older who would find it near impossible or prohibitively expensive to get health insurance.

23 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

I have some basic pre existing conditions (High cholesterol & BPH - Both easily controlled by medication) that make me uninsurable here in Thailand...

Really ?  So if your blood pressure and cholesterol are normal thanks to the tablets you take, you can't get cover ?

15 minutes ago, murraynz said:

I am not an insurance broker.

But I have spent years assisting expats with  health issues in Thailand and seen countless tragedies caused by lack of insurance.

There is nothing at all wrong with self insuring if it is done properly and the person really has enough money for it.  Which means 3-5 million baht readily available and the means to replenish it or, failing that, a clear plan to repatriate after it is spent.

In my experience not one person in 100 who calls themselves "self insured" meets that criteria. Many are simply uninsured. others have greatly underestimated the potential costs and are unprepared for it when their savings are abruptly wiped out.

Archived