Are you prepared for a medical emergency?

SoSoCNX

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

In a government hospital you can run up a bill of 1 million baht in a week. Or a bill of 25K in a week. It entirely depends on what treatment is given. In both private and government hospitals the daily room charge is not the main expense.

I can't offhand think of anything that would require you to be in a government hospital for a whole week and cost only 12k, though.

Government hospitals are reliably cheaper than private for the same care, no question on that. By a factor of anywhere from 2-4 fold. But do not underestimate what a government hospital will cost you in case of a really major accident or catastrophic illness requiring specialized surgeries and prolonged ICU care.

Even for elective procedures, depending on what they are, can run a lot more than you might think. Recent examples in my own household and acquaintances

1- Appendicidal abscess: initial hospitalization (including CT and barium enema to make the diagnosis) - about 25k, subsequent admission for appendectomy 20K. Both admissions around 5 day stay, private room for most of the time.

2 - Back surgery - decompression laminectomy with instrumentation, multiple levels: 260k. 5 day stay.  the 10 fold difference between this and the first 2 admissions is mainly due to the cost of  the  titanium implants used.

Normally I agree with everything you say Sheryl, but I think you have it wrong here. Last time I was in a government hospital, the private room charge was 3000 baht per day. The rest of the charges put together were only 2000 baht per day.  I could have been in the main ward for 150 baht per day.

In a government hospital, other than exceptional circumstances, room charges in my experience are the major portion of the bill.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try to demonstrate "safe driving" techniques on a daily basis - its not working out too well - but! ????

I also carry a pocket knife at all times - never know when it will be needed to carry out emergency surgery ???? 

12000 in a government hospital for a week, or 4500 for 3 days, is a typical price if you were not really sick. 

By this i mean all those basically healthy Thai 25 year olds who check themselves into a hospital for very minor ailments, diagnosis "mai sabai" or "pen lom". Or they bring the kids  for things that really could be treated at home.

Or iv rehydration for mild kidney injury,  3 days.

But in most of these cases the government hospital will hardly keep the patient in hospital for a whole week.

1 minute ago, Monomial said:

Normally I agree with everything you say Sheryl, but I think you have it wrong here. Last time I was in a government hospital, the private room charge was 3000 baht per day. The rest of the charges put together were only 2000 baht per day.  I could have been in the main ward for 150 baht per day.

In a government hospital, other than exceptional circumstances, room charges in my experience are the major portion of the bill.

Your case was unusual, apparently you did not have surgery, require any scans or need  an expensive medication.

Other than the room charge there are';t charges that are "per day" the other charges are according to treatment given.

3000 is quite high for a private room in a govt hospital and 150 quite low for a ward. usual costs I see are around 400 for ward and 1500 - 2000 for private.

2 minutes ago, uhuh said:

12000 in a government hospital for a week, or 4500 for 3 days, is a typical price if you were not really sick. 

By this i mean all those basically healthy Thai 25 year olds who check themselves into a hospital for very minor ailments, diagnosis "mai sabai" or "pen lom". Or they bring the kids  for things that really could be treated at home.

But in most of these cases the government hospital will hardly keep the patient in hospital for a whole week.

Exactly my point. Govt hospital will not keep someone for a full week for no particular reason. If you are there for a whole week, either you needed something that will have cost much more or they were having trouble diagnosing you in which case you will have had tests that will have cost much more.

for a run of the mill thing like say food poisoning, no way will ia government hospital keep you for a full week. 2-3 days morel likely.

3 minutes ago, uhuh said:

My Thai SIL was in a government hospital 6 weeks predelivery on a terbutaline drip with gestational diabetes. There are times when this is reasonable. I think alot of this discussion really depends on the condition you are admitted for.

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Your case was unusual, apparently you did not have surgery, require any scans or need  an expensive medication.

Other than the room charge there are';t charges that are "per day" the other charges are according to treatment given.

3000 is quite high for a private room in a govt hospital and 150 quite low for a ward. usual costs I see are around 400 for ward and 1500 - 2000 for private.

I payed 700 BHT for a room in a public hospital.Food was OK.

Yes I have insurance- which contrary to all the doom mongers will never expire.

My totally honest view - I have had a wonderful life , magical childhood and if I have some dreadful medical emergency - strict instructions- do not resuscitate. 

Cellular function ceases - and that’s it. 

This topic is mostly about medical insurance or self-funding.  Buit as Sheryl as mentioned, there is more to preparing for a medical emergency than having insurance or $$$ in the bank.

Do you know how to call the emergency ambulance, hospital or police? 

Do you know where the nearest hospital emergency department is?

Can others locate/access your insurance cover details or $$$ if you are unconscious?

What do you do if - like me - you live alone?  You could be dead on the floor for days before anyone pops round to check on the terrible smell...

On 4/13/2019 at 7:56 AM, NightSky said:

Amusing ????

i assume the op means things like..

..Heart attack, stroke, infectious disease, accident, cancer, etc..

im covered in the case of one potential event from personal savings and I also have minimal in-patient health insurance cover that I hope would pay out but never certain.

Does this help?

an ounce of prevention is better than a cup of pills

or something

At 56, I was insured with a personal accident insurance) with AIA, by a broker. No preexisting conditions. Wich cost 4000 B/Month.

At 58 I had a surgery in emergency condiction Removing gallbladder (cholecytestomy).

At 59, another pain in my back, resulting in a new surgery (Radiculopathy cervical).

Both surgeries in Bangkok Hospital, and AIA pay the bills directly to Bangkok Hospital. About 450000.-

Now 60 years old, healthy and happy to be insured.

IMG_1697.JPG.3039f75011361bf0ad5996755cd93150.JPG

At 56, I was insured with a personal accident insurance) with AIA, by a broker. No preexisting conditions. Wich cost 4000 B/Month.

At 58 I had a surgery in emergency condiction Removing gallbladder (cholecytestomy).

At 59, another pain in my back, resulting in a new surgery (Radiculopathy cervical).

Both surgeries in Bangkok Hospital, and AIA pay the bills directly to Bangkok Hospital. About 450000.-

Now 60 years old, healthy and happy to be insured.

IMG_1697.JPG.3039f75011361bf0ad5996755cd93150.JPG&key=d8842e5b168ec3a20bf5cda76cae8f008428324cc12e3b974940465e1e91a227

That could not have been personal accident insurance as accident insurance (1) would cost much much less and (2) would not have covered those conditions.

Must have been regular health insurance.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That could not have been personal accident insurance as accident insurance (1) would cost much much less and (2) would not have covered those conditions. Must have been regular health insurance.

You are right sheryl, I am covered with health insurance and also covered if I report before 24 hours any emergency. So I thought I got the personal accident. 

By the way, All documents of the contract is writen in Thai, so for sure I missed some information.

Can anyone help with this predicament..

I took out inpatient insurance about 5 years ago with BUPA (Now AETNA) and renewed every year.

Recently I was  informed of a medical condition that would be counted as a pre-existing condition however this wasn't pre-existing when I took out the policy.

What should I do?

Im worried that if I tell the insurer they will not renew my insurance or they will increase the price next year so that it is too high.

If I don't tell them I am concerned they wont pay out for anything in future.

Even if they are not supposed to increase the premium and they then proceed to increase it I assume there is no protection for the consumer when dealing with a Thai insurance company right? i.e. not a leg to stand on so to speak.

What should I do, what would you do?

If you did not have the condition when you first got the policy then it is not pre-existing. I think you may be confusing pre-existing with a newly developed

developed chronic condition.

As you have had the policy for 5 years there is unlikely to be an issue with a claim for a newly developed chronic disease. If you do not need to make a claim at this time there is no need to inform the insurance co of your condition. They will come to know of it if/when you have a claim related to it.

Whether it will affect your premiums depends on the size of the claim and the insurer's assessment of likelihood of future large claims. Unfortunately most Thai issued policies do allow for rate increases on that basis.

Issues with Thai insurance companies can be referred to the Office of Insurance Commission. (OIC)...but of course within the framework of the policy.

Very good point (though can likely skip the GPS. For some inexplicable reason Thaid don't seem to use it).

Everyone should be able to give clear directions to their home in Thai.

The number for a medical emergency is 1669. In cities it is best to get the emergency ambulance number for the hospital you want to he taken to and call that as you may otherwise be taken to a small orivate hospital with low cdpacity the gives kick backs to "ambulance" drivers. In upcountry rursl area not as much an issue as there is usually just the givernment hospital to go to.

Reserve calling for ambulance/emergeny vehicle (it will not always be an ambulance...it is often a station wagon tupe thing) to situations where it is impossible to get to the hospital on your own. Otherwise always best to get a taxi or have someone drive you. (If you live alone -- keep a neighbor's phone number handy). You will be able to control where you ard brought and it is quicker than waiting for energency service. Note that in Thailand these services are not like in the west and do not provide the sort of on the scene emergency care you might expect....another reason not to use them unless you are unable to move. In cities the ambulances belonging to the better private hospitals migjt have a nurse and possibly she would start an IV on you or give oxygen, but for the most part emergency vehicles are staffed by untrained or poorly trained "volunteers" who not only will not provide meaningful care but may cause further injury by not knowing correct way to move and injured person.

On 4/14/2019 at 12:07 PM, Sheryl said:

A single hospitalization can use that up. What is your plan for replenishing it?

If  I get sick I will use goverment hospitals or perhaps go back to Denmark for treatment.

I can save several hundred thousand THB each year from my pensions.

Archived