I love BKK

Pattayabeerbacon

Yep. I love it.

Easy to get a good headspace, easy to find cheap food and cheap rent.

Very livable.

Unlike pattaya where i found myself in severe stress and mental instability.

Thank the lord for the city if angels as without this fine place id be in a lunatic asylum other wise known as "pattaya".

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Easy to get a good headspace, easy to find cheap food and cheap rent.

Very livable.

Unlike pattaya where i found myself in severe stress and mental instability.

I find that in most respects Pattaya is cheaper than Bangkok. Bangkok does have its attractions: good choice of restaurants and shops being the main ones. It also has some sophistication that Pattaya could never be accused of having.

But the main problem is Bangkok is that it is too big and too hard to get around in. So you really need to live within walking distance of everywhere you need/want to go to regularly. If you can do that it's OK.

10 minutes ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

I just came from patts, Nearly lost my mind, here in bangkok i feel great.

Try Jomtien. Only a 10-minute bus ride from Pattaya but very different. I only go to Pattaya once or twice a week, and that suits me fine.

Bangkok is a massive sprawling city, you can live in 100 different places and have 100 different lifestyles, to a lesser extent Pattaya has 100s of options. Its not really comparing apples with apples.

I have lived in the middle of Bangkok, in party places and a sleepy moobaan. Stayed in the middle of Pattaya in a quiet leafy garden resort and on top of a bar around in quieter jomtien.

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Bangkok is a massive sprawling city, you can live in 100 different places and have 100 different lifestyles, to a lesser extent Pattaya has 100s of options. Its not really comparing apples with apples.

I have lived in the middle of Bangkok, in party places and a sleepy moobaan. Stayed in the middle of Pattaya in a quiet leafy garden resort and on top of a bar around in quieter jomtien.

The vibe in bangkok is more relaxed.

Easier to find your little niche.

The locals often are very shy too, mostly rarely interacting with a farang and friendly without being scammy.

26 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

But the main problem is Bangkok is that it is too big and too hard to get around in. So you really need to live within walking distance of everywhere you need/want to go to regularly. If you can do that it's OK.

I must have missed the news - when did the BTS and the MRT stop running?

52 minutes ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Nope .

Really.

I just came from patts, Nearly lost my mind, here in bangkok i feel great.

Love it.

There are more places to live than Pattaya and Bangkok?   Bangkok is okay for a flying visit, max 3 days for me, then it all gets too much. Too many people, too hot, too much pollution, too many vehicles, too much noise. Then it's back to my retreat in the East. Having said that, I haven't been to Bangkok in over 5 years now, just the airport, which is near enough to the City for me. 

Having just retired and left Bangkok to move upcountry, I'd rather live somewhere with some open space, and more outdoor activity options.  I won't mind visiting for a week or two every few months though.  However, I see no reason to visit Pattaya.

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

If you stayed in a hotel on walking street and spent all your time on walking street from sundown to sunup - I could relate

If you would walk on walking street for hours that would obviously be boring. But have a look at the establishments left and right and spend time in them instead of the street. And obviously let the tequila flow. Now, that's not so bad anymore. ???? 

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you would walk on walking street for hours that would obviously be boring. But have a look at the establishments left and right and spend time in them instead of the street. And obviously let the tequila flow. Now, that's not so bad anymore. ???? 

Yeh until the money runs dry and the DTs set in.....

Then your in for a ride.

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

Do you think that either of those are easy or pleasant to use? I dont. They are better than taxis or motorbikes, but they are far from perfect.

Also many parts of Bangkok - even central areas - are miles from both the MRT and the BTS.

Do you think that either of those are easy or pleasant to use? I dont. They are better than taxis or motorbikes, but they are far from perfect.

Also many parts of Bangkok - even central areas - are miles from both the MRT and the BTS.

They’re very simple to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And air conditioned

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

But the main problem is Bangkok is that it is too big and too hard to get around in. 

Disagree.

I guess if a person lives outside the city.

But, I lived in BKK for 2 years and the skytrain is wonderful can travel much greater distances in a shorter period of time then Pattaya.

M/B taxis are good at knowing short cuts.

A car in BKK would be a very dumb idea.

3 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

not sure, but that is because I have a whole fleet of busses coming by every few minutes, and can walk to three ferry piers...also got a motto mob, but that just reminds me too much of Pattaya.  Metered taxi to get my beer home is <50 THB.

6 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Before you're in the bts you'll be sweating like an otter. And also when you have to change from bts to mrt...same goes while waiting for a riverboat...

MRT is the best because it's cool underground but it doesn't cover all of BKK..far from that.

4 hours ago, JaiLai said:

They’re very simple to use.

And air conditioned

Simple maybe, but not easy and not comfortable. I dont like the stairs, I dont like the crowds, I dont like the waiting and I often find that they dont go where I want to go. Also they are not practical for carrying shopping around.

Like I said, Bangkok would be OK if I was living within walking distance of everywhere I wanted to be on a regular basis. The idea of having to take public transport every day does not appeal to me, any more than having to use my car every day does.

9 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

I just came from patts, Nearly lost my mind

Usually happens to me too, but in a good way. Not a good place to be for Songkran though. You might want to reconsider your username btw. 

9 hours ago, banjoe said:

How are you liking the 40 degree heat and pollution?emoji16.png

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you study the air quality index pattaya is almost as bad as bangkok and worse on many days.  With the expansion of the manufacturing in Rayong it will actually be worse in a few years.  Watch and see.  Yes Bangkok is hotter temperature wise but in actuality Pattaya often has a higher dew point which makes it more uncomfortable.  Add to the fact Pattaya has cut down all its trees.

Just like my hometown of DC, a 20 Km trip at 8am takes 90 minutes, but if you simply wait until 10am, it only takes 25 minutes.....so the 8-5ers are the ones who pay the price for commuter hell...simple enough to plan around it, when you dont work here...same with the rain...not an excuse to be late for work, but simple enough to wait out the 20-30 minutes it will last.  I would say just chill and have another beer, but this holiday period seems to bring out the AA priests.

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I find that in most respects Pattaya is cheaper than Bangkok. Bangkok does have its attractions: good choice of restaurants and shops being the main ones. It also has some sophistication that Pattaya could never be accused of having.

Its not to big if you live in between Asoke and Nana where all the fun expats hang out and we are talking all types of people from high rollers to school teachers and retirees but the big difference is there are no beer guts walking around shirtless or in a wife beater and in flip flops which is the national dress code of Pattaya.

There are five 5 star hotels in that little strip so lots a classy tourists around. Great place to be

Archived