I love BKK

Pattayabeerbacon

Just now, madmen said:

Its not to big if you live in between Asoke and Nana where all the fun expats hang out and we are talking all types of people from high rollers to school teachers and retirees but the big difference is there are no beer guts walking around shirtless or in a wife beater and in flip flops which is the national dress code of Pattaya.

There are five 5 star hotels in that little strip so lots a classy tourists around. Great place to be

Don't forget beer in hand and hand down pants:)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, madmen said:

Its not to big if you live in between Asoke and Nana where all the fun expats hang out and we are talking all types of people from high rollers to school teachers and retirees but the big difference is there are no beer guts walking around shirtless or in a wife beater and in flip flops which is the national dress code of Pattaya.

There are five 5 star hotels in that little strip so lots a classy tourists around. Great place to be

highest concentration of transvestites on the planet.  Soi 4 is wife beater Haven for tourist, and you have a huge Arab presence.  Worst cops in the city at Asok, and hardly any middle class Thais, and the upper class ones are more likely to be around Paragon.  And did I mention the Chinese have ruined a lot of things around there?  Quality of life on the decline, as land prices skyrocket..none of the things that made Thailand famous can still be found in those parts. I am a big fan of transit, but the rush hour crowds are uncivilized on BTS/MRT, but you just have to avoid Asok, Siam and a few others.  Any place there are Chinese tourists, crowding on transit quickly gets to unsafe levels. A date out, and steak dinner for two could set you back 20,000, and you are still praying she doesn't order another 3500 than bottle of wine that cost 12 bucks in the States.  I suppose the boiler room guys get what they deserve.

5 hours ago, moontang said:

Just like my hometown of DC, a 20 Km trip at 8am takes 90 minutes, but if you simply wait until 10am, it only takes 25 minutes.....so the 8-5ers are the ones who pay the price for commuter hell...simple enough to plan around it, when you dont work here...same with the rain...not an excuse to be late for work, but simple enough to wait out the 20-30 minutes it will last.  I would say just chill and have another beer, but this holiday period seems to bring out the AA priests.

What the heck is DC? 

17 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

What the heck is DC? 

I hate to call it Washington, because there are lots of seattleites around..but DC is the District of Columbia (not Colombia), that is often referred to as the most powerful city on Earth.

Now I never lived in BKK, but I've owned several rental condos in Thonglor, so i've spent quite a bit of time there.

Different strokes for different folks.

But I hate the place.

The traffic, the mass of people, the air smells bad all the time.

I hated driving in BKK, could take you an hour to drive 10 miles. Then Skytrain you are packed in like sardines.

I just don't like big city life in general. But I lived in Shanghai for many years, and I'd prefer that to BKK any day

5 hours ago, moontang said:

highest concentration of transvestites on the planet.  Soi 4 is wife beater Haven for tourist, and you have a huge Arab presence.  Worst cops in the city at Asok, and hardly any middle class Thais, and the upper class ones are more likely to be around Paragon.  And did I mention the Chinese have ruined a lot of things around there?  Quality of life on the decline, as land prices skyrocket..none of the things that made Thailand famous can still be found in those parts. I am a big fan of transit, but the rush hour crowds are uncivilized on BTS/MRT, but you just have to avoid Asok, Siam and a few others.  Any place there are Chinese tourists, crowding on transit quickly gets to unsafe levels. A date out, and steak dinner for two could set you back 20,000, and you are still praying she doesn't order another 3500 than bottle of wine that cost 12 bucks in the States.  I suppose the boiler room guys get what they deserve.

20k steaks ? ????  There goes your credibility

Lady boys left with the street bars long ago now all in soi 4 . Only an idiot would use the Bts at peak hour 

The Q condo adjoining Nana Bts selling at 1 to 5 million USA DOLLARS !!  gee now why did that choose Nana ?and Your right it is expensive but there is big infrastructure changes happening

Chinese are middle class and big spenders , 

Oh you got the condo bit right its skyrocketing  I bought 13 years ago 80 sqm condo At Asoke off the plan at multiple times cheaper so we agree on something and 5 mins walk to Asoke BTS and the fantastic T21 and its food court

Oh wait is that a rooster I hear crowing...Now what village was that you live in ? 

5 hours ago, madmen said:

20k steaks ? ????  There goes your credibility

Lady boys left with the street bars long ago now all in soi 4 . Only an idiot would use the Bts at peak hour 

The Q condo adjoining Nana Bts selling at 1 to 5 million USA DOLLARS !!  gee now why did that choose Nana ?and Your right it is expensive but there is big infrastructure changes happening

Chinese are middle class and big spenders , 

Oh you got the condo bit right its skyrocketing  I bought 13 years ago 80 sqm condo At Asoke off the plan at multiple times cheaper so we agree on something and 5 mins walk to Asoke BTS and the fantastic T21 and its food court

Oh wait is that a rooster I hear crowing...Now what village was that you live in ? 

You back to crowing about your wonderful falang neighborhood and how much your condo is now worth? *insert bored eyeroll here*

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

You back to crowing about your wonderful falang neighborhood and how much your condo is now worth? *insert bored eyeroll here*

Where did I say what its worth? geez its hardly a mansion but I was just replying to the previous posters comment that prices sky rocketed and I said Im glad I bought when I did . Its wonderful area because its Farang. I want nothing to do with Thais unless Im ordering a drink or a meal or Im renting by the hour..So many dramas on these threads all revolving around exposure to Thais and being stuck in a Thai ghetto. No thanks I will stick with my own people ????

13 years ago it was still good...I said land prices are skyrocketing...used condos on Sukhumvit..not so much.  I paid 18,500 for a small house in Phoenix in late 2010.  It is on the market today for 215000.  And there, too, the best bars are gone and the number of Africans has gone up.

Steaks...https://th.elgaucho.asia/menus/food/

2 x 350 gram filet=8180+17.7%...so you are approaching 10,000 before your first french fry.

lets add a bottle of red wine that is at least two years old...California Cabernet..4900++..doesnt even give the vintage.  So who is credible now?

T21?  Yep, that is where people are relieved to find the food court after seeing all the other local prices..It is overrun with chinese and the portions are nothing like, when it opened..if you go in the off hours it is ok, quite a few retirees occupying the tables for way too long, and thai students doing the same.  Nothing to write home about, at all, and the fruit shakes are a joke.  As far as the stores go, it is just about the same pantload of stuff that the other malls display, without a decent IT area.

3 hours ago, madmen said:

Where did I say what its worth? geez its hardly a mansion but I was just replying to the previous posters comment that prices sky rocketed and I said Im glad I bought when I did . Its wonderful area because its Farang. I want nothing to do with Thais unless Im ordering a drink or a meal or Im renting by the hour..So many dramas on these threads all revolving around exposure to Thais and being stuck in a Thai ghetto. No thanks I will stick with my own people ????

Is that your high horse next to the 711? I saw people playing songkran on it!

I like Bangkok too, and am moving there soon. Can anyone point good place where to look apartments for rent online? I would be interested specifically places near MRT stations Phetchaburi, Phra Ram 9, Thailand Cultural Centre, Huai Khwang, Sutthisan, Ratchadaphisek. Cheers.

5 minutes ago, jarski said:

I like Bangkok too, and am moving there soon. Can anyone point good place where to look apartments for rent online? I would be interested specifically places near MRT stations Phetchaburi, Phra Ram 9, Thailand Cultural Centre, Huai Khwang, Sutthisan, Ratchadaphisek. Cheers.

Hipflat, DD Property

5 minutes ago, jarski said:

Can't help with condo recommendations but i also like the area you mention.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:18 AM, KittenKong said:

I find that in most respects Pattaya is cheaper than Bangkok. Bangkok does have its attractions: good choice of restaurants and shops being the main ones. It also has some sophistication that Pattaya could never be accused of having.

But the main problem is Bangkok is that it is too big and too hard to get around in. So you really need to live within walking distance of everywhere you need/want to go to regularly. If you can do that it's OK.

Bangkok is like any big city probably a huge area of the city you will never get too. People find the area they want to live in and that is where they will spend 75 percent of their time, the other 25percent will be short visits to other areas no one lives in a entire city that they need to worry about how large it is.

3 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Bangkok is like any big city probably a huge area of the city you will never get too. People find the area they want to live in and that is where they will spend 75 percent of their time, the other 25percent will be short visits to other areas no one lives in a entire city that they need to worry about how large it is.

That sounds like every large capital city in the world. 

3 hours ago, jarski said:

Pick a building, walk in, check out the Bulletin Board....

On 4/13/2019 at 8:44 AM, Pattayabeerbacon said:

The vibe in bangkok is more relaxed.

Easier to find your little niche.

The locals often are very shy too, mostly rarely interacting with a farang and friendly without being scammy.

Totally agree.

I love BKK. Always have. I haven't stayed in Pattaya for 15 years.

Generally you won't notice the pollution unless you go to the slummy places like Silom or Sukhumvit.

I love BKK. I live near Rachatewi BTS and there are all the luxuries I need in a 10 min walk or less. In the same 10 min walk are quiet local sois with the cheapest of everything. Great 5 star restaurants and hotels , tons of cheap nice clean hostels. The BTS, the canal taxi , several huge malls, MBK, easy to get cabs on and on! Bangkok is grown up and Pattaya is just for the rest of the ————.  I love being here 1/2 the year and already homesick for BKK because I have to return to the States tonight. 

On 4/13/2019 at 8:08 AM, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Nope .

Really.

I just came from patts, Nearly lost my mind, here in bangkok i feel great.

Love it.

Well you had better change your name to Bangkokbeerbacon then. By the way Bangkok is a s**th*le, but your choice.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:24 AM, moontang said:

13 years ago it was still good...I said land prices are skyrocketing...used condos on Sukhumvit..not so much.  I paid 18,500 for a small house in Phoenix in late 2010.  It is on the market today for 215000.  And there, too, the best bars are gone and the number of Africans has gone up.

Steaks...https://th.elgaucho.asia/menus/food/

2 x 350 gram filet=8180+17.7%...so you are approaching 10,000 before your first french fry.

lets add a bottle of red wine that is at least two years old...California Cabernet..4900++..doesnt even give the vintage.  So who is credible now?

T21?  Yep, that is where people are relieved to find the food court after seeing all the other local prices..It is overrun with chinese and the portions are nothing like, when it opened..if you go in the off hours it is ok, quite a few retirees occupying the tables for way too long, and thai students doing the same.  Nothing to write home about, at all, and the fruit shakes are a joke.  As far as the stores go, it is just about the same pantload of stuff that the other malls display, without a decent IT area.

You must be able to afford it if you even consider paying 20k for a steak meal. Good luck to you. But no way on earth would you get me paying it. Unless I was with Yaya of course.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:18 AM, KittenKong said:

I find that in most respects Pattaya is cheaper than Bangkok. Bangkok does have its attractions: good choice of restaurants and shops being the main ones. It also has some sophistication that Pattaya could never be accused of having.

But the main problem is Bangkok is that it is too big and too hard to get around in. So you really need to live within walking distance of everywhere you need/want to go to regularly. If you can do that it's OK.

Motorbike

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:21 AM, KittenKong said:

Try Jomtien. Only a 10-minute bus ride from Pattaya but very different. I only go to Pattaya once or twice a week, and that suits me fine.

Me too. I lived in Bangkok for a year and loved it at first but eventually the constant noise, heat, diesel fumes, prices led me to seek a quieter life. I will eventually retire to Bueng kan where my wife owns land but for the moment Jomtien is a little heaven on Earth

6 minutes ago, dode57k said:

Me too. I lived in Bangkok for a year and loved it at first but eventually the constant noise, heat, diesel fumes, prices led me to seek a quieter life. I will eventually retire to Bueng kan where my wife owns land but for the moment Jomtien is a little heaven on Earth

I dunno how dudes live in jomtien or pattaya long term.

Chon buri does something terrible to my head, I  end uo blowing all my money and getting the DTs from the drink and end up leaving broke, stressed , scattered and unsatisfied.

A normal boring day in bangkok is much more satisfying than a week in pattaya on the drink with women around me.

Sorry but thats how i perceive thailand in 2019.   

On 4/13/2019 at 11:30 PM, beautifulthailand99 said:

Not another low post troll post to get us posting so TVF can make money.....and for that reason I'm out....

You made the announcement, but will you really exit?

On 4/13/2019 at 11:21 AM, KittenKong said:

Try Jomtien. Only a 10-minute bus ride from Pattaya but very different. I only go to Pattaya once or twice a week, and that suits me fine.

or Cosy beach {inbetween the two}--- quieter still, but same same-- i like to go to pattaya  once per week, its always 'interesting'...

Archived