Stupidness

Badrabbit

Happy Songkran also to you.

Why not stay relaxed at home and let all enjoy the water party who like it?

Btw a trip outside of thailand, especially to "the walking death europe" brings back happiness and gratefulness of living here.

Happy Songkran.

21 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

Thanks. just back from Homepro and no stupidness to be seen, haven't got a problem with Songkran and people enjoying themselves but having water thrown at your head whilst on a motorbike is not my idea of fun!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They do it deliberately to try and make you come off. It's fun for them. Seeing this crap for a number of years now.

Locked in castle Mcseismic with the draw-bridge pulled up.

To rail in this manner against a popular, cultural, Thai New Year festival says more about yourself than the locals having some traditional fun.

Stay away from the party places, or the country completely, if you have  difficulties with the populous enjoying themselves.

By choice, I've avoided having water thrown on me during Songkran in my 9 years here.

You don't have to seek reasons to complain.

20 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

They do it deliberately to try and make you come off. It's fun for them. Seeing this crap for a number of years now.

me too, guard dogs at the ready, locking and loading on the machine gun towers. 

9 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

To rail in this manner against a popular, cultural, Thai New Year festival says more about yourself than the locals having some traditional fun.

Stay away from the party places, or the country completely, if you have  difficulties with the populous enjoying themselves.

By choice, I've avoided having water thrown on me during Songkran in my 9 years here.

hummm yes and no, i think you'll find the 'fun' you refer to is primarily 'enjoyed' by local children, teenagers and, if you look closely, the majority of adults involved are the low class and low educated. my thai friends are all middle class professionals and all, without exception, despair at what has happened to their once respectful and peaceful tradition.

hummm yes and no, i think you'll find the 'fun' you refer to is primarily 'enjoyed' by local children, teenagers and, if you look closely, the majority of adults involved are the low class and low educated. my thai friends are all middle class professionals and all, without exception, despair at what has happened to their once respectful and peaceful tradition.

Exactly, anyone who thinks its fun to throw a bucket of water into the face of a person passing on a motorbike is a person without any intelligence, Songkran has been altered purely to suit tourists!!

4 minutes ago, samsensam said:

Which of my words did you particularly have problems with - fun, enjoy, traditional?

I didn't specify, nor classify, festival participants in class categories, that's something you decided to do. Are your friends only those who meet your standards of middle class professional?

If you want to despair at what you consider the degradation of tradition,  try a stand alone opinion piece, don't misquote me.

10 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

Exactly, anyone who thinks its fun to throw a bucket of water into the face of a person passing on a motorbike is a person without any intelligence, Songkran has been altered purely to suit tourists!!

Have you expreienced Songkran in a non-tourist area? I have, and I hate to inform you that it is no different to the tourist areas

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

since when is it traditional (since ancient times?) for locals to drive pickups on the ring road in chiangmai, and dump buckets of ice water on bicyclists as they approach them from behind at 80+kmh?

heehee!  it's fuuuunny when they fall in the ditch!  555555555!

since when is it traditional (since ancient times?) for locals to drive pickups on the ring road in chiangmai, and dump buckets of ice water on bicyclists as they approach them from behind at 80+kmh?

heehee!  it's fuuuunny when they fall in the ditch!  555555555!

its not fun having iced water smashed into your face, but its hilarious to the people that do it, how is that part of tradition?

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Long time ago when I first moved Thailand I engaged in water throwing from my road end for a few hours. But after about 5+ years I had enough. It became vicious, toxic powders, pressure guns, iced water complete with the ice cubes in face, not to mention I became an old grumpy fart. That was enough. Always hide out at home, not even go out in the car.

2 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

For those people that think I'm mistaken, I saw them succeed once and they all cheered as the bike and person slid down the road.

Always young Thai males and always five or six in number, just in case the person who comes off the bike doesn't have the same sense of humour as themselves.

Songkhran has developed a streak of meaness over the years.

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

All part of 'Thai charm' found nowhere else apparently ????. It's for kids and simpletons, even the Mrs hates Songkran.

Also add fat farangs and a few other crazies to that mix.

I have absolutely no problem with a traditional and gentle water splashing ceremony provided it is done in the way it was meant to be carried out, but that isn't how it happens now, and the amount of variations on that theme can be positively dangerous.

I watched a few years ago as an unsuspecting Italian guy was driving his motorbike near me, with his computer (with its cover on) drove round the corner only to be hit by a barrage of ice cubes in a bucket of water, full on in the face, knocking him off his bike and soaking the computer – – and that's how I know he was Italian when he got up and berated these idiots.

In this instance, these idiots had started Songkran early, but he had no idea about that.

Whatever mindset compels full grown and old farangs to buy water pistols and engage in water pistol fights for days on end, is beyond me.

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

I have absolutely no problem with a traditional and gentle water splashing ceremony provided it is done in the way it was meant to be carried out, but that isn't how it happens now, and the amount of variations on that theme can be positively dangerous.

I watched a few years ago as an unsuspecting Italian guy was driving his motorbike near me, with his computer (with its cover on) drove round the corner only to be hit by a barrage of ice cubes in a bucket of water, full on in the face, knocking him off his bike and soaking the computer – – and that's how I know he was Italian when he got up and berated these idiots.

In this instance, these idiots had started Songkran early, but he had no idea about that.

Whatever mindset compels full grown and old farangs to buy water pistols and engage in water pistol fights for days on end, is beyond me.

It's just an excuse to get full of liquor for some of these old farangs. I saw some today making fools of themselves drunk and dancing. 

Even Thais don't recognize today's songkran from a generation ago. It was a respectful event. Children would pour water on the hands of those elders they respected, it lasted 5 minutes at best. Not outright splashing them in the face for hours on end. 

My son did it today to his grandfather and grandmother, gave them a flower thing and poured water onto their hands with a wai. Done in under a minute each. 

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

Except for Patong just one day.

What is the problem, just don't get on a bike if you don't want to participate, or go early morning.

One day, not worth complaining.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Except for Patong just one day.

What is the problem, just don't get on a bike if you don't want to participate, or go early morning.

One day, not worth complaining.

I wasn't complaining I was stating my point of view, and IMO the traditional Songkran is the way it should be, not bastardised by other influences.

I don't get on my bike during this madness, I try to stay inside, but if I have to go out I use the car. As I said I'm not complaining but I have felt terribly sorry for those folk who really didn't want to get wet and didn't realise the magnitude of the madness – – – and I witnessed one poor girl today who had left a small restaurant to go across to a 7/11 to get something, for the kitchen I would suppose, and she seemed to be a waitress in the restaurant, however no matter how hard she pleaded with the idiots outside of the restaurant and across the road that she really didn't want to get wet, she was soaked.............as many farangs as Thais in the mix and I did feel sorry for the poor girl.

And just a thought, why not allocate the beach or a large area or park to a place where wild songkran activities can be undertaken, then anyone who wants to get wet can go along and get wet!

Fun for the kids, yup...

seeing so called "adults" throwing buckets of ice cold water at passerby's, oft they specifically target "falangs", intentionally groping women in the guise of a "holiday tradition"... kinda puts their real intellect in the spot light.

The increase in hospital reported eye infections, well, deserved?

Fun and games... they're welcome to it. My days of water gun fights are long over, ended at about the age of 14/15. 

30 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I wasn't complaining I was stating my point of view, and IMO the traditional Songkran is the way it should be, not bastardised by other influences.

I don't get on my bike during this madness, I try to stay inside, but if I have to go out I use the car. As I said I'm not complaining but I have felt terribly sorry for those folk who really didn't want to get wet and didn't realise the magnitude of the madness – – – and I witnessed one poor girl today who had left a small restaurant to go across to a 7/11 to get something, for the kitchen I would suppose, and she seemed to be a waitress in the restaurant, however no matter how hard she pleaded with the idiots outside of the restaurant and across the road that she really didn't want to get wet, she was soaked.............as many farangs as Thais in the mix and I did feel sorry for the poor girl.

And just a thought, why not allocate the beach or a large area or park to a place where wild songkran activities can be undertaken, then anyone who wants to get wet can go along and get wet!

I quoted you because you said 'days on end', but my post was more addressing the OP.

7 hours ago, xylophone said:

OK, fair enough stevenl...........didn't realise I had said "days on end". 

Unfortunately, the dear chap was unable to grasp your metaphor as a figure of speech containing an implied comparison. Agree with you regarding the allocation to coral those intent on overdoing things to a purpose-built area. I suggest something along the theme of ancient Rome Gladiatorial games, all nations/races welcome including the Welsh, Bogans and yes, even the Dutch. A whole day of fun for the family and just remember that anywhere else in the world you have to pay to go to the zoo; here it’s all free! I’ve been in Bangkok many times during Songkran and noted that it was a far more fun and gentler affair compared to the rabid hillbilly festival on Phuket

Archived