Foreign pedestrian dragged under Chinese tour bus in South Pattaya

rooster59

Foreign pedestrian dragged under Chinese tour bus in South Pattaya

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU0OC83NzQyNTYyL25ld3Byb2plY3QtMjAxOS0wNC0xMnQyMTE5LmpwZw==.jpg

Image: Sanook - Caption: The driver didn't see him

The driver of a Bangkok Chinese tour bus was alerted that a foreign tourist was under his vehicle yesterday morning. 

Tourists on the bus looked on in horror as the tourist was retrieved from under the bus: his left arm was detached and he was in a coma, reported Sanook. 

Sawang Boriboon foundation medics performed first aid at the scene as members of the public provided shade from  umbrellas in the sweltering heat. 

The man - name and nationality unknown - was taken to Muang Pattaya Hospital. 

Driver Parinya, 47, said he didn't see the pedestrian. He was only alerted to the accident when a member of the public informed him that someone was being dragged under his bus. 

The accident happened in the road leading to South Pattaya around 11.30 am.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-13

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Driver Parinya, 47, said he didn't see the pedestrian. He was only alerted to the accident when a member of the public informed him that someone was being dragged under his bus. 

proud member of the thai driving public, didnt see and didnt feel the impact; more no-look thai driving

7 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Driver Parinya, 47, said he didn't see the pedestrian.

If your eyesight is so poor, or you pay such little attention to what is on the road in front and around you that you can't see a pedestrian, or notice the bump when you hit him, one has to ask why the hell are you being allowed to drive for a living? This sort of thing happens way too often. The people driving on our roads for work are so awful at it, I am actually a little stunned that we have any tourists left whatsoever.

22 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

If your eyesight is so poor, or you pay such little attention to what is on the road in front and around you that you can't see a pedestrian, or notice the bump when you hit him, one has to ask why the hell are you being allowed to drive for a living? This sort of thing happens way too often. The people driving on our roads for work are so awful at it, I am actually a little stunned that we have any tourists left whatsoever.

The local driving standards are doing their best to reduce the number of tourists, whether it's on the sea or on land.

If its South Pattaya road (looks like it) then not surprised the driver didn't feel "the bump" as the road surface is bad and all the drain covers (near Wat Chai) are 2-3 inches below the surface again..some have been covered with steel plates that are 3-4 inches above road level...its a very bumpy road.

Hope the victim recovers from this horrible accident.

28 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

If your eyesight is so poor, or you pay such little attention to what is on the road in front and around you that you can't see a pedestrian

Yes, but what about the pedestrian's eyesight? Couldn't he see the bus? Was he trying to cross the road, or just walking on it, the article doesn't say anything about it?

PS. I'm not trying to blame the victim.

41 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I think you answered your own question.  Any tourist without a host of addictions and a wad of cash will think twice about heading over to Thailand and putting themselves at risk.

How about "Pedestrian dragged under tour bus in South Pattaya" instead of "Foreign pedestrian dragged under Chinese tour bus in South Pattaya"?

Does the nationality of the people in the bus really matter?

And does it matter if the pedestrian was foreign or Thai?

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about "Pedestrian dragged under tour bus in South Pattaya" instead of "Foreign pedestrian dragged under Chinese tour bus in South Pattaya"?

Does the nationality of the people in the bus really matter?

And does it matter if the pedestrian was foreign or Thai?

It matters a lot, both.

I am happy Sanook is not PC.

To work out how this happened walk on any Zebra crossing anywhere in Pattaya/ Jomtien most vehicles drive at you, giving way is for weirdo's

and increasing your speed when you see a pedestrian is the norm.

This is not only Thai there are some Farangs now following suit as they

would never get away with these actions in the real world. 

43 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Unbelievable that any driver would not be aware of a pedestrian being dragged by his vehicle.

Brain dead bugger should not be on the road.

I actually have a bus licence and an articulated vehicle licence and I know that in either vehicle it is very hard to feel a small variation like that at the rear of the vehicle. In fact drivers of such vehicles often cant even feel it if they go over the curb or get a flat tire. If you cant see it in a mirror then you are often unaware that it is happening.

27 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I actually have a bus licence and an articulated vehicle licence and I know that in either vehicle it is very hard to feel a small variation like that at the rear of the vehicle. In fact drivers of such vehicles often cant even feel it if they go over the curb or get a flat tire. If you cant see it in a mirror then you are often unaware that it is happening.

Well i had a psv license, also a class 1 license and totally disagree with what you posted.

For anybody not familiar a psv license is public service vehicle, my number was mm5937

10 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

What about the tourists eyesight? So poor he couldn’t see the bus?

Part of the problem with tourists is that they often dont look the right way before stepping onto the road. And they are often obliged to walk in the road because the sidewalks are full of vendors or motorbikes or potholes.

....ditto....

...what do the Chinese have to do with it....simply being passengers using Thai services in Thailand....???

...jeez....

...absolutely horrific and ....should be unacceptable....besides....

...'did not/had not noticed'.....???

...should never be allowed behind the wheel of any vehicle whatsoever again....!!!

Hard to believe on a busy street like that no one saw how the accident occurred.  Sanook article's kind of weird. Emphasizes Chinese tour bus filled with Chinese tourists and Thai good samaritans who alerted driver about the accident and provided shade for rescue workers, but makes no effort to find out how accident occurred or who was at fault. I understand this was probably just an initial news report, not an in-depth accident investigation. Fair enough. My question is: where were the police?

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

Hard to believe on a busy street like that no one saw how the accident occurred.  Sanook article's kind of weird. Emphasizes Chinese tour bus filled with Chinese tourists and Thai good samaritans who alerted driver about the accident and provided shade for rescue workers, but makes no effort to find out how accident occurred or who was at fault. I understand this was probably just an initial news report, not an in-depth accident investigation. Fair enough. But my question is, where were the police?

Probably where they usually are. Sitting around (in the aircon) doing nothing.

Here in Udon, half-an-hour ago today just outside of the ring road, there's a nice tent (sorry no A/C), with more than half-a-dozen police sitting on chairs watching the pickups drive past throwing water.

Not a single one of the police one was standing up, looking around to check anything. All of them were busy gassing to each other.

4 minutes ago, Derek B said:

So was the driver Thai or Chinese? If Thai why mention it was a Chinese Tour Bus?

I think it's Rooster who does the translations, so I'd guess he's just following what was written in Sanook. It must be the Thai press who mentioned it.

24 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Probably where they usually are. Sitting around (in the aircon) doing nothing.

Here in Udon, half-an-hour ago today just outside of the ring road, there's a nice tent (sorry no A/C), with more than half-a-dozen police sitting on chairs watching the pickups drive past throwing water.

Not a single one of the police one was standing up, looking around to check anything. All of them were busy gassing to each other.

Went past the one in Ban Leaum earlier this morning.

The words "hive of activity" just did not spring to mind.

I'll bet the buggers get paid extra though- 'working unsocial hours' :laugh:

Will be going past 'em again later, I'll see if I can get a pic of their fine work ethic.:crazy:

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

What about the tourists eyesight? So poor he couldn’t see the bus?

I see nothing to make me believe the pedestrian wasn’t at fault. Was the driver driving on the footpath? 

“Stunned that a we have any tourists left whatsoever” You are carrying on a bit. 40,000,000 tourists and one falls under a bus. 

He was probably glued to his smartphone.

“This sort of thing happens way too often” Really? Where?

I predict the tourist industry will recover.

This one is so full of errors.

It is very likely the tourist does not have eyes in the back of his head. Also he could be Indian, they are accustomed to be walking in the road.

Footpath, have you been to Pattaya? Usually there are no footpaths, and if there are they are blocked by hawkers and surly Motorcycle taxi drivers. The town's roads aren't really big enough for these large coaches.

This is by far not the only incident of a pedestrian tourist being hit by a large tourist coach. 

Do you mean the coach driver was using his phone or the pedestrian?

The corner of Beach Rd and Walking St and South Pattaya Rd is a dangerous spot.

The tourist industry might well recover, this tourist never will. 

all these comments on here i bet you have never driven a big lorry or a bus in your life, talking about feeling a bump, you aint got a clue sort of comment from car drivers, dont comment on things you know NOTHING about,

Archived