Foreign pedestrian dragged under Chinese tour bus in South Pattaya

rooster59

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about "Pedestrian dragged under tour bus in South Pattaya" instead of "Foreign pedestrian dragged under Chinese tour bus in South Pattaya"?

Does the nationality of the people in the bus really matter?

And does it matter if the pedestrian was foreign or Thai?

it sure does, the Chinese were supposed to be going up north of BKK and this happen south of BKK 555

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

proud member of the thai driving public, didnt see and didnt feel the impact; more no-look thai driving

Whilst I will never condone the severity of this incident, I really think too many people jump straight in with comments such as, yours.

If you have ever driven any large vehicle, you will know that the " feel " of them is nothing like a car,and a bump or jolt is usually a pothole or bump in the road (of which Thailand is the World leader ).  

Just  saying

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about "Pedestrian dragged under tour bus in South Pattaya" instead of "Foreign pedestrian dragged under Chinese tour bus in South Pattaya"?

You are absolutely correct.

Reading many posts herein it implies that the Thai drivers knock down only tourists! If so... could it be that the tourists are to blame?

I sincerely hope this injured person will recover soon.

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

Surprised there are not a lot more of these type of accidents during Songkran.

Songkran just started, be patient... wait and see, more much more to come

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Unbelievable that any driver would not be aware of a pedestrian being dragged by his vehicle.

Brain dead bugger should not be on the road.

hearing impaired device not working properly, low battery 555

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Unbelievable that any driver would not be aware of a pedestrian being dragged by his vehicle.

it appears Thai drivers don't agree with you 555

14 hours ago, colinneil said:

You obviously don't drive. Today's suspensions are so good, that you can drive with a flat and not notice it. The roads are so bad particularly around the drains that no bumps would create more alarm. Especially pattaya tai .

Ive always been wary of bus and truck drivers, as they're likely high on caffeine drinks or worse.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It’s called ‘human interest’, mate. It adds colour to the story. Most readers are interested in the additional information.

The UK’s Daily Mail goes one step further and does a check on zoopla so that it can tell its readers how much your house is worth too ????

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Only the PC Brigade is try to Homogenize everyone. People are different, get over it. I could think of a lot more descriptive words than Foreign & Chinese, but if I write them here, my post would be swiftly deleted.

PC is DOA in Asia.

4 hours ago, rgrdns said:

I've a walk often...but always on high alert....need to be, because I feel like a walking obstacle to many vehicle drivers 

Right on ! At all cost stay off roads.

As is so often necessary when having to walk on them exercise extreme caution!!!!

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, but what about the pedestrian's eyesight? Couldn't he see the bus? Was he trying to cross the road, or just walking on it, the article doesn't say anything about it?

PS. I'm not trying to blame the victim.

Probably walking on pavement with back to traffic, stepped into road without thinking to avoid some inevitable obstruction....foodseller, garbage bin, beggar, hole, whatever.  You constantly have to step into the road when walking on appalling footpaths here and sometimes just forget to look first as you don't anticipate a speeding lunatic driving in the gutter.

Experienced tourists would be more careful in the traffic in Thailand, but if you just arrived here on a vacation and are not used to the traffic, and maybe used to right driving, then they will look in the wrong direction before crossing the road .

Of course the driiver should have spotted the tourist and is guilty IMO.

Very sad, lets hope he/she survives.

6 minutes ago, balo said:

Experienced tourists would be more careful in the traffic in Thailand, but if you just arrived here on a vacation and are not used to the traffic, and maybe used to right driving, then they will look in the wrong direction before crossing the road .

I agree wth this.

7 minutes ago, balo said:

Of course the driiver should have spotted the tourist and is guilty IMO.

Do not agree with this.

Well for what it's worth - here's my sixpenneth. I was on the back step (reluctantly) of a Baht Bus travelling down towards the junction to catch the Jomtien bus. Traffic moving slowly due to the accident, I could clearly see the unfortunate blokes torso sticking out from under the bus - headed towards 3rd road. Here there is a broadish stretch of pavement all the way along. Lots of people with their handy smart ass phones taking advantage. The guys holding the brollies were protecting themselves from the sun. Poor bloke (did look asian/korean/ etc) face down under the bus not shaded at all.

Onto the Jomtien bus and away. Sat next to me was a Thai lady who was soon holding court telling a story - can only guess it was about the accident - certainly not about the price of fish. She did however on telling the story 3 or 4 times make arm movements as though the poor bloke may have been pushed. ! This of course was only my interpretation.

Truth will not out.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Strangely enough we are still classed as farrang back home in our home country by Thai people living there, they can't seem to get their head around the fact that they are the farrang when out of Thailand!

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

If your eyesight is so poor, or you pay such little attention to what is on the road in front and around you that you can't see a pedestrian, or notice the bump when you hit him, one has to ask why the hell are you being allowed to drive for a living? This sort of thing happens way too often. The people driving on our roads for work are so awful at it, I am actually a little stunned that we have any tourists left whatsoever.

Tourists are a never ending supply of cash & victims !

1 hour ago, NoBrainer said:
4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Only the PC Brigade is try to Homogenize everyone. People are different, get over it. I could think of a lot more descriptive words than Foreign & Chinese, but if I write them here, my post would be swiftly deleted.

PC is DOA in Asia.

I seems lots of people commented on my comment.

Personally I don't think this is about PC - Political Correctness.

The driver was Thai. Does it matter if he was driving a bus with Chinese or Thais or a football team or politicians? So it was a Thai tour bus with a Thai driver with passengers. The passengers were Chinese in this case and until it is revealed that these Chinese passengers disturbed the driver it does not matter. They are bus passengers.

And the victim? Should we feel more empathy if he was a Thai, Chinese or a foreigner? They are all human and if i.e. the driver of the Chinese tourists would have run down a Chinese person that wouldn't make it any better or worse.

What headlines like that create are comments from people who like to enforce their own prejudice.

If the victim of this incident survives maybe the truth will be made known. 

In only one post have I read any variation on fault being accorded to either the driver or the victim or both.

Being  under the bus and being dragged along does not necessarily involve being run down.

Falling under the bus from the side  and instinctively grabbing the first object in close proximity such as the drive shaft or suspension or any other part would  hardly be  known to the driver despite the victim having an arm severed. In any event the mystery remains as to how the victim got under the bus. Maybe tried to hide there? Was pushed? Was a  service mechanic  who  went to sleep and woke up too late? 

No no. TVF seems  convinced  it was a stupid  Thai driver or a stupid pedestrian. Not even one suggestion  of  a suicide event? The  heat is  obviously  slowing  minds  down !

The gentleman struck by the bus was an American from New York City and he died.

His name was Joe (Italian last name) and lived in Center Condo on Pattaya Tai. He had recently returned to Thailand from the USA and lived in Thailand for a number of years. It was reported that he was wearing headphones and may have been distracted while walking. I did know him but only to exchange greetings. I hope this answers some of the questions raised herein. 

The accident took place across the street (Pattaya Tai) from Center Condo

RIP Joe

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Driver Parinya, 47, said he didn't see the pedestrian. He was only alerted to the accident when a member of the public informed him that someone was being dragged under his bus

He really pay attention to the traffic 

how on earth could he not feel something was wrong under the bus 

I hope he lose his job and driving license 

The gentleman struck by the bus was an American from New York City and he died.

His name was Joe (Italian last name) and lived in Center Condo on Pattaya Tai. He had recently returned to Thailand from the USA and lived in Thailand for a number of years. It was reported that he was wearing headphones and may have been distracted while walking. I did know him but only to exchange greetings. I hope this answers some of the questions raised herein. 

The accident took place across the street (Pattaya Tai) from Center Condo

RIP Joe

Gotta be right on ya game walking around live traffic.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

On that basis, could say "object dragged under vehicle".

Does it matter was a human ? does it matter was a bus ?

It's called "reporting ". 

7 hours ago, gmac said:

Probably walking on pavement with back to traffic, stepped into road without thinking to avoid some inevitable obstruction....foodseller, garbage bin, beggar, hole, whatever.  You constantly have to step into the road when walking on appalling footpaths here and sometimes just forget to look first as you don't anticipate a speeding lunatic driving in the gutter.

Or ladyboy trying to grab his crotch/nipples so he stepped away on the road.....that happened to me as well on Samui and i almost got under a minivan...

Archived