Foreign pedestrian dragged under Chinese tour bus in South Pattaya

rooster59

Thai drivers simply don't care. You get in their way at your peril. I have been run over twice, once hit and run from behind. Both times I went over the vehicle. Lucky I am tall and that saved me from being dragged under.

RIP Joe. Probably just minding his own business, as I was.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, kokopelli said:

His name was Joe (Italian last name) and lived in Center Condo on Pattaya Tai. He had recently returned to Thailand from the USA and lived in Thailand for a number of years. It was reported that he was wearing headphones and may have been distracted while walking.

This is very disturbing to hear, I guess he should have known better , you need your eyes and ears open at all times out at the traffic.

But we have another poster in this thread claiming a Thai lady on a baht bus said the victim had been pushed ? There should be enough eye witnesses to confirm this. 

18 hours ago, ravip said:

Reading many posts herein it implies that the Thai drivers knock down only tourists! If so... could it be that the tourists are to blame?

Well yes, the drivers are driving tourists around, so of course the tourists are to blame. 

Who would ever blame a Thai driver for doing anything wrong.......:post-4641-1156694572:

Pattaya is now packed with tour buses compared to 10...15 years ago. In the morning around 8am or in the evening, these polluting monsters are buzzing around the city bumper to bumper and many of the drivers act like they’re on a motorcycle ignoring common sense. With all these bus drivers in demand I wonder how many have a license. Does the city ever check? (No)

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about "Pedestrian dragged under tour bus in South Pattaya" instead of "Foreign pedestrian dragged under Chinese tour bus in South Pattaya"?

Does the nationality of the people in the bus really matter?

And does it matter if the pedestrian was foreign or Thai?

Of course, the bus was Chinese, the pedestrian was a farang, no Thai person or business included.......

On 4/13/2019 at 9:17 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

How about "Pedestrian dragged under tour bus in South Pattaya" instead of "Foreign pedestrian dragged under Chinese tour bus in South Pattaya"?

Does the nationality of the people in the bus really matter?

And does it matter if the pedestrian was foreign or Thai?

Trying to be articulate 5555

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well yes, the drivers are driving tourists around, so of course the tourists are to blame. 

Who would ever blame a Thai driver for doing anything wrong.......:post-4641-1156694572:

I hope it works more like this:

if we think about this, or anything actually, we realize every situation is easily more nuanced than anyone will ever know or be able to figure out.

Robert Sapolsky.  

but if we just go by “human emotions”.... which is the thing now... for me, anything that takes digs against tourists or tourism makes me happy. if that means you and me when we travel... okay! that’s how much I agree with that.

but blame Thai drivers... for being Thai????  not me.  

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I seems lots of people commented on my comment.

Personally I don't think this is about PC - Political Correctness.

The driver was Thai. Does it matter if he was driving a bus with Chinese or Thais or a football team or politicians? So it was a Thai tour bus with a Thai driver with passengers. The passengers were Chinese in this case and until it is revealed that these Chinese passengers disturbed the driver it does not matter. They are bus passengers.

And the victim? Should we feel more empathy if he was a Thai, Chinese or a foreigner? They are all human and if i.e. the driver of the Chinese tourists would have run down a Chinese person that wouldn't make it any better or worse.

What headlines like that create are comments from people who like to enforce their own prejudice.

You write well and make a point.

But I don't think you'd get a job in 2019's journalism.

Especially on Thaivisa.

Rooster

On 4/13/2019 at 8:33 AM, darksidedog said:

If your eyesight is so poor, or you pay such little attention to what is on the road in front and around you that you can't see a pedestrian, or notice the bump when you hit him, one has to ask why the hell are you being allowed to drive for a living? This sort of thing happens way too often. The people driving on our roads for work are so awful at it, I am actually a little stunned that we have any tourists left whatsoever.

our roads ? we have tourists ? You are a tourist as far as Thais are concerned .

12 hours ago, neeray said:

“Chinese tour bus” ?

Made in China?

Drove to Pattaya from China?

Owned by Chinese (probably)?

Why not just “tour bus” ?

It makes the article more interesting obviously .

On 4/13/2019 at 9:21 AM, colinneil said:

Unbelievable that any driver would not be aware of a pedestrian being dragged by his vehicle.

Brain dead bugger should not be on the road.

Don't know what sort of driving experience you have but I drove 44tonne trucks in the UK for 42years and believe me even now with multiple mirrors and cameras you cannot see every corner of the vehicle at one time and do you really think a human body under a 14 wheel 44 tonne vehicle would make a bump.

Tragic yes but pedestrians also have a duty of care.

10 minutes ago, mickyr55 said:

Don't know what sort of driving experience you have but I drove 44tonne trucks in the UK for 42years and believe me even now with multiple mirrors and cameras you cannot see every corner of the vehicle at one time and do you really think a human body under a 14 wheel 44 tonne vehicle would make a bump.

Tragic yes but pedestrians also have a duty of care.

It was a bus not an hgv he was driving.

18 hours ago, mickyr55 said:

And with that in mind would you say that is a suitable vehicle to be used around the narrow busy streets of Pattaya?

Tourists on the bus looked on in horror as the tourist was retrieved from under the bus: his left arm was detached and he was in a coma, reported Sanook. 

This kind of thing is a VERY common occurrence in China. People just get crushed there all the time due to a combination of ME ME ME culture, overcrowding, and well giant buses and trucks with low viability.

This is just the beginning of it for Pattaya. We haven't even reached "peak China" yet her at all, just the tip of the iceberg.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:55 PM, balo said:

This is very disturbing to hear, I guess he should have known better , you need your eyes and ears open at all times out at the traffic.

But we have another poster in this thread claiming a Thai lady on a baht bus said the victim had been pushed ? There should be enough eye witnesses to confirm this. 

Joe, the man who died in the accident, was not pushed, or committed suicide or groped by someone, etc, etc. He was walking along Pattaya Tai and, apparently, stepped in front of a tour bus which was exciting Soi Day Night Plaza onto Pattaya Tai;  simply a tragic accident.

2 hours ago, kokopelli said:

Joe, the man who died in the accident, was not pushed, or committed suicide or groped by someone, etc, etc. He was walking along Pattaya Tai and, apparently, stepped in front of a tour bus which was exciting Soi Day Night Plaza onto Pattaya Tai;  simply a tragic accident.

Thanks very much for this. Respect.

3 hours ago, Dave98 said:

Come to Thailand holiday and leave missing an arm (Assuming he lives).

Yes the new slogan with small print. 

Common to LOS and quickly drop weight.*

*not always your choice of which limb to loose. This is a legal disclaimer. 

Archived