Death penalty for DUI: Businessman faces ultimate sanction for murder of cop/wife

rooster59

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, zaZa9 said:

Im surprised anyone was killed as the cabin of the car is quite intact.

No seatbelt used ?

I would have thought being a late model vehicle that there would have been bells and whistles going if the seat belts weren't on ?

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Do they have a different definition of murder here ? Surely it should be vehicular manslaughter !!

typical Thailand,  do nothing at all for decades then go off on some absurd legal nonsense that hasn't been given any educated professional scrutiny, I am all for sustained 365 days a year active measures and severe penalties against drunk driving but it must have proper legal foundation and execution 

Just now, Tarteso said:

My serious doubts if he’d just finish days of wine and roses.

Poor girl in hospital without parents. Sad.

Very sad indeed but as many others have said, not much chance of him doing serious time as money talks in Thailand and the baht is considered of far greater significance than human lives for the "haves".

2 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I will be interested to see the outcome of this one. Rich people always seem to get away with things like this. Red Bull "Boss" being a prime example.

Might hear of the court case then the appeal then hear no more.

57 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

They probably have the same blood-alcohol level as you, what's the point using them?

I have had that problem in pattaya on a regular basis - random breath testing at taxi ranks would be a good idea

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I think by threatening a death penalty, they can increase the size of the envelope being presented... 

Do they have a different definition of murder here ? Surely it should be vehicular manslaughter !!

Indeed. No doubt they do many things differently in Thailand, but to convict for a degree of murder in most countries, intent and/or pre-meditation has to be shown. While DUI is no doubt a crime, it is almost always classed as manslaughter, and in a accident no intent or pre-meditation can logically be demonstrated.

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Electric chair.

Next case.

Imprisonment as a common ordinary man with all other serious capitol crime convicted.

No special treatment or privileges!

the buying of, and turning away from taking into custody, charging and prosecuting such people is woeful and a stain on The Kingdom.

The reported statement where he is quoted as saying he “remembers nothing” could (if he ain’t lying)  indicate an alcohol induced blackout this could be argued as negating intent i.e. to risk harm to self or others.

Such blackouts can see a person e.g. drive, talk, facilitate a university lecture, a dinner party, indeed carry out all manner of activities and remember none of what has passed.

if this rich fella was truly in an alcohol induced blackout then it is absolutely possible he could indeed remember none of his actions.

I agree with you as far as your expressing very strong unwavering penalties around drink driving need to be entrained and enforced..

To date lawful then judicial response in LOS to such crimes have not reflected the seriousness of such actions.

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

No, an even more severe penalty.  Boss also left the scene and cried all the way to mummy.

Agree fully, but as a lot of other posters have said, money money money and only money talks here, its just a corrupt sad country that death can be wiped away with money, it just goes to show how corrupt and evil this country is. In another topic post earlier i said how i would now have holidays in cambodia and philippines instead of here because of safety and those countires respect and appreciate tourists, my god i got such a negative response hahaha, but i knew i would.

Just more Bullshit; Murder is pre-meditated, this is 'Causing Death by Drunk Driving' and is Manslaughter.  They are using strong rhetoric hoping that it may work on the feeble minded many who will drink and drive over Songkran but it won't work because the feeble minded boneheads all think they are indestructable and care nothing for the lives of others.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Gen Wirachai said that the Thai police nationwide are set to charge anyone with murder who causes death while driving drunk. If people are injured in DUI cases drivers will face attempted murder charges instead.

At last some sense from the Thai police....
Pull out a gun & shoot someone it's murder
Stab someone to death it's murder
Batter someone to death it's murder
DUI is murder... simple!
Maybe Thais will start to get the message it's not exceptable anymore... in the hands of a drunk a car is a weapon!!!!

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Gen Wirachai said that this was not just a case of drink driving and negligence causing death. It fell under Article 288 and thus the suspect is being charged with intent to kill - murder.

This is an interesting definition of murder. We now shall have to wait and see if the prosecutor and the judge will see it the same way.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I think by threatening a death penalty, they can increase the size of the envelope being presented... 

No, I understand and appreciate the logic. People know that drunk driving can cause fatal accidents, yet they choosr to do it anyway. It takes time to get that drunk, which makes it premeditated.

Call for a ride, ask one of your golf busdies, get a room and sleep it off... all chlices that are àvailabe and do not lead to funerals.

Bring back the headsman and televise a few.

I didn't see anything written about the results of an breath or blood test for alcohol and having looked up his company details, I'm thinking there's going to be a good lawyer claiming the 5-6 beer's he's admitted to consuming were non-alcoholic and his claim of being drunk was not credible given he's just had such a shock. Just my thinking of where this will go after the compensation has been offered.

Remember the widow of the policeman that was mowed down by Boss of Red Bull. She’s certainly not looking for any punishment for Boss, after having received the negotiated compensation.

Archived