Death penalty for DUI: Businessman faces ultimate sanction for murder of cop/wife

rooster59

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I will be interested to see the outcome of this one. Rich people always seem to get away with things like this. Red Bull "Boss" being a prime example.

Sadly I think you may be right, so often we hear fine words undermined by zero action or enforcement.

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"Could", I think we all know that will never happen.

regards Worgeordie

Sure and the death penalty card we may assume will be used for all it's worth to increase the size of the brown envelopes ...

2 hours ago, harada said:

I would have thought being a late model vehicle that there would have been bells and whistles going if the seat belts weren't on ?

You can have them disengaged easily enough

2 hours ago, harada said:

I would have thought being a late model vehicle that there would have been bells and whistles going if the seat belts weren't on ?

Did you never see those "seatbelt extenders" which you can buy at many places?

xhorizon-tm-fl1-2pcs-seatbelt-extender-u

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

Aggravated premeditated manslaughter (US definition) or similar (with malice aforethought being present) is the corrext charge. Murder must be deliberate and premeditated killing. Even Thais must know the definition of murder.

Surely it is Thai judicial system which defines the correct charge not something based on laws in USA or any other country.

stop using your own country as the yardstick

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

Such blackouts can see a person e.g. drive, talk, facilitate a university lecture, a dinner party, indeed carry out all manner of activities and remember none of what has passed.

Considering the amount, 4 or 5 bottles of beer, should/could not cause anyone to "black out". If so, people like that shouldn't drink alcohol, period.

14 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

When you senior figures behaving in this way ie driving p*ssed at 11am what chance the rest of them?

A true sorry state of affairs.

Probably on his way home from the Gfs home 

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

At last some sense from the Thai police....
Pull out a gun & shoot someone it's murder
Stab someone to death it's murder
Batter someone to death it's murder
DUI is murder... simple!
Maybe Thais will start to get the message it's not exceptable anymore... in the hands of a drunk a car is a weapon!!!!

Yeh sure, until a big handful of baht is slipped into someones hands. 

26 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Numbers from year 2014. Probably #1 long ago.

According to the World Atlas website, Thailand was #1 for traffic deaths in 2017. The World Health Organisation (WHO) still had them as #2 in that year. I haven't seen any 2018, globally-ranked statistics yet but the WHO did rank them as #1 in SE Asia in 2018.

Thailand road deaths

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I think by threatening a death penalty, they can increase the size of the envelope being presented... 

Do they have a different definition of murder here ? Surely it should be vehicular manslaughter !!

I guess it could be argued that knowingly driving DUI means you accept the risk of killing someone, and therefore have the intention to drive drunk regardless of the consequences? 

Don't think there is standard differences between degrees of murder charges, manslaughter, causing death by negligence, or standard terminology around the legal systems of the world.

12 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Surely it is Thai judicial system which defines the correct charge not something based on laws in USA or any other country.

Not at all. Thailand is aware that it needs to use internationally recognised standards to be taken seriously on the world stage. This is one example. Another might be opening serious dialogue with the terrorists in the south of the country instead of just paying lip service to the thought. 

This is like the equivalent of Richard Branson or Alan Sugar getting in their cars at 11am after a round of golf and wiping out a family. 

This guy seriously needs to pay for the carnage and pain that he has caused, but I think we all know what will happen.

3 minutes ago, BangkokBaksida said:

Exactly.  This is all about scaring the money out of him.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. And compare to other cases e.g. Red Bull boy; the rich car dealer who killed two innocent people with his Benz after crashing the tollway barrier; the former policeman and PTP politician involved in the strange death of a billionaire in an innocuous crash, share transfer fraud and lying to police. AFAIK none of those cases have so far seen the accused/convicted punished in any way.

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I think by threatening a death penalty, they can increase the size of the envelope being presented... 

Do they have a different definition of murder here ? Surely it should be vehicular manslaughter !!

Precisely. It's criminal negligence and therefore manslaughter. 

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I guess it could be argued that knowingly driving DUI means you accept the risk of killing someone, and therefore have the intention to drive drunk regardless of the consequences? 

Don't think there is standard differences between degrees of murder charges, manslaughter, causing death by negligence, or standard terminology around the legal systems of the world.

I believe murder is killing with intent ? Manslaughter is killing without intent to kill !! Therefore intending to drive drunk doesn't mean you intend to kill someone but it's a by product of being drunk...

10 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The Thai legal system proceeds very much like the systems in the UK and US. I don't think DUI in Thailand will attract a death penalty, despite what a 'top policeman' says to the press. 

40 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

True - and although the Thai Criminal Code does not provide a clear definition of murder (that I can find) it defines manslaughter as:

caus[ing] death to the other person by inflicting injury upon the body of such person without intent to cause death

Which would clearly make killing somebody by accident with a car, manslaughter.

Thais and Farangs are set here on the same level when it comes to drunk driving which is much appreciated.

Only the sad story stays: two humans get killed by a careless human.

RIP Sir and Madam and my condolences to the relatives left behind. I wish all strength to get through this hard time.

Sure both were excited and happily looking forward to celebrate the Songkran days with their beloved ones as every other family.

4-5 Beers making not losing anyone's memory, seems he want to plead for unsoundness of mind due to intoxication and I hope the justice will treat him with no respect of his status and public position.  

31 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. And compare to other cases e.g. Red Bull boy; the rich car dealer who killed two innocent people with his Benz after crashing the tollway barrier; the former policeman and PTP politician involved in the strange death of a billionaire in an innocuous crash, share transfer fraud and lying to police. AFAIK none of those cases have so far seen the accused/convicted punished in any way.

You missed out a couple of Porsche drivers there

Archived