Death penalty for DUI: Businessman faces ultimate sanction for murder of cop/wife

rooster59

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I will be interested to see the outcome of this one. Rich people always seem to get away with things like this. Red Bull "Boss" being a prime example.

You beat me to the punch on that one!

I was going to suggest that he contacts "Boss" for avoidance tips - once he gets bail, which is a high probability, guessing that his nest will be well feathered!

4 hours ago, Formaleins said:

It is obvious the drunken fool did not set out to kill anyone, so I cannot see how they can use murder as the charge. There must be something more fitting, death by reckless driving, accidental homicide?? There must be a charge that will fit the crime.

If he had waved a gun around and shot somebody while drunk, it would be murder, would n’t it ? Even if he didn’t set out to kill anybody.

In the wrong hands a car is just another weapon, and there were plenty of warnings about this change of heart so no excuse for ignorance.

Accidental homicide ..... did he accidentally get drunk ?

my (now ex) wife flew off the highway and ended upside down inside the car and passed out 40 feet below the highway in a stream. The other passenger, her best  girlfriend was thrown out of the windshield and apparently died instantly.

They were found some 5 hours later and airlifted to ER but eventually made it with only a few marks, nevertheless  was initially charged with second degree manslaughter because of accounts that she was drinking in a party earlier that night but since no detectable amount of alcohol present in her blood ,case was eventually dismissed(too long of a story, dont wanna get in details)

Point is, this eventually led to complications in our relationship and to our divorce.

She is happily married now( I hear) with 2 kids and sober for 15+ years.

drinking and driving is bad and followed by a fatal accident is the worst but death penalty is just too harsh for this man IMO

Humans have no right to kill another human knowingly

RIP to all deceased in this accident

4 hours ago, Formaleins said:

It just makes a mockery of the law, any half witted lawyer would be able to get him off as it clearly is NOT murder under the law! I can understand the anger and the frustration but they will shoot themselves in the foot if they try to pin murder on drunk drivers. They need to get something that will hold up to the law and still carry a severe penalty.

It is obvious the drunken fool did not set out to kill anyone, so I cannot see how they can use murder as the charge. There must be something more fitting, death by reckless driving, accidental homicide?? There must be a charge that will fit the crime.

Of course this is only to be expected here anyway, as soon as something serious happens in they go like bull elephants, total knee jerk reaction, stir up a hornets nest, then two days later all is forgotten and everyone goes on their merry way. They just keep ending up with egg on their faces and looking like complete idiots.

Stand back, deep breath, think it through, carefully.

I agree 100% with every word

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

At long last the issue of drink driving seems to be being addressed. It is one of, if not the leading cause of death and serious injury here. I am sure it will take a little time to sink into the minds of some here, but once a few hundred have been given very lengthy sentences or the death penalty for killing someone when drunk driving, people will wake up and stop doing it. The annual toll on the roads will plummet. Should have been done long ago.

I don't think that will happen Doggy

They will always have that, it wont happen to me attitude

Cheers

Geoff

Whilst I deplore all the unnecessary waste of life on Thailand's roads due to the general ignorance, stupidity and arrogance (and a whole host of other stuff) of the indigenous population, it surprises me that it has taken the deaths of a top cop and his wife and severe injuries to their daughter for the authorities to start to take this problem seriously, I want to see all those found to be DUI to be subject to the same laws 365 days a year and not just on special occasions such as Songkran.

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

And a top policeman has warned that the same fate awaits drink drivers nationwide who kill while drunk behind the wheel. Attempted murder charges will be made in non-fatal serious injury cases

So let us see action same sentence  for all low or high 

Thailand need take responsibility for their own actions 

Drinking and driving kills 

11 minutes ago, Tidybeard said:

Not sure how Namibia comes top, I traveled there for three weeks and I think they only have 45 cars in the whole country - so all of them must have crashed. Seemed a very very safe place to me !!!!

What is called conveyance in Namibia is rather trampling - by its own 2 legs or on 4 legs so understandable that you didn't see more cars ... :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Formaleins said:

"It is obvious the drunken fool did not set out to kill anyone, so I cannot see how they can use murder as the charge..."

He accidentally took his car to a bar where he accidentally forgot to say no to drinking 4 or 5 bottles of beer (at least). After being so drunk he can't remember any of it, he then accidentally got in his car and accidentally turned the ignition on and accidentally drove home but, accidentally didn't make it, and killed 2 people on the way.

Yep, totally blameless. 

Just another state-sanctioned warning to the Thai electorate about the general unsavory nature of these independently successful people who became rich through being the "high profile owner of a major automotive parts factory."

Now, if he was simply someone who was well-off but also just happened to look after someone elses expensive designer wristwatches...

Seems kind of strange that The Nation is not quoted here.  Did they not hear about this fatal accident in Bangkok ?

Since we are not allowed to quote that English Language Bangkok Newspaper here are a few salient facts:

1. The police wanted to charge him with murder and attempted murder but The Taling Chan Court would not accept those charges and instead only charged him with , serious injuries and property damage and drink-driving causing death, injuries and property damage, and reckless driving causing death

2. He was released on 200,000 Baht Bail, put up by his brother

3. His blood alcohol measured 260mg/dL, (whatever the hell that means, since I have always heard it expressed as .0 something or other)

4. The cop died instantly, the wife died later at the hospital, and the 16 year old daughter has a serious brain haemorrhage.  The drunk driver had leg pain afterwards !!!!

5. The Drunk driver on Saturday played golf at a driving range in Thawi Watthana district and drank beer before leaving.  His Mercedes crossed over into the opposite lane and smashed into the policeman's  Suzuki

6. The court approved a 12 day "detention extension" but later allowed the bail.  It is unclear to me if he is out on bail at this time or if the bail comes after the 12 day hold.  This being the land of corruption my bet is that snow flake is out

18 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

Killed a copper and wife they will come down on him hard for what he done.escape is the only way out

Killed a copper and wife they will come down on him hard for what he done.escape is the only way out

He needs to contact the Red Bull killer "Boss" and ask for a route map.

On 4/13/2019 at 9:14 AM, khwaibah said:

Cap him now and be done. All his wealth to the 16 year old daughter.

Your emotional and juvenile remark lacks rational thought, much like the act of the suspect. 

On 4/13/2019 at 1:25 PM, hotchilli said:

At last some sense from the Thai police....
Pull out a gun & shoot someone it's murder
Stab someone to death it's murder
Batter someone to death it's murder
DUI is murder... simple!
Maybe Thais will start to get the message it's not exceptable anymore... in the hands of a drunk a car is a weapon!!!!

How about driving 1 meter away from the car in front of you while driving 100km/h or more and cause a deadly accident? (Which happens quite a lot)

What about driving on the Emergency lane? 

What about taking your complete family in the back of your pick up truck and driving like a moron at 100km/h or more. 

Etc.etc

I agree something needs to happen, but to classify dui as murder is just plain stupid. 

Heavy fines, seizure of car, loss of drivers license and in the worst case prison. 

Death penalty for killing someone while dui???

While a rapist or murder just get a few years in prison?

19 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Interesting but miss-leading stats.  In India for example there's around 1 Billion people who cannot afford a car or motorcycle, so they dilute the per capita figures, even though the driving standards are at least as bad as here.  In Thailand everybody over 14 rides a scooter and some even drive trucks.

Misleading? Really? 

You think Thailand should be lower on the list?

Given the ranking of Thailand (which I think currently is actually number 1!) I think this list is pretty accurate!

2 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Misleading? Really? 

You think Thailand should be lower on the list?

Given the ranking of Thailand (which I think currently is actually number 1!) I think this list is pretty accurate!

Yep - driving in India, Indonesia and some African countries is much worse, but the high number of non-drivers in these countries dilutes the figures.

On 4/13/2019 at 12:25 PM, darksidedog said:

At long last the issue of drink driving seems to be being addressed. It is one of, if not the leading cause of death and serious injury here. I am sure it will take a little time to sink into the minds of some here, but once a few hundred have been given very lengthy sentences or the death penalty for killing someone when drunk driving, people will wake up and stop doing it. The annual toll on the roads will plummet. Should have been done long ago.

I agree

Archived