Chiang Mai Airport taxi rip-off

cliveshep

On 4/13/2019 at 10:32 PM, JimmyJ said:

I take Grab from CNX.

Costs a small bit more but to me it is worth it.

Unless you meet your grab outside the airport gate, or something changed this month, Grab are banned from ALL Thai airports. 

There's a big sign at the gate saying so.

Drop off should be ok though, but not tried it since the ban. 

I've dropped the Mrs off in the car, and v/v with no problems.

1 hour ago, Small Joke said:

Unless you meet your grab outside the airport gate, or something changed this month, Grab are banned from ALL Thai airports. 

There's a big sign at the gate saying so.

Drop off should be ok though, but not tried it since the ban. 

I've dropped the Mrs off in the car, and v/v with no problems.

It isn't quite that simple as some registered taxis also use grab which is legal.

We go to a booth and pay 300 to Hang Dong (village centre) every time; car or van for big luggage makes no difference, hasn't changed for years.   350 when they come to Hang Dong to pick us up to the Airport,. again hasn't changed for at least 10 years.

4 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

From Airport Plaza?

yes, just make a turn at the corner police booth, and you will be able to get on one at that long light intersection.  They run from San Pa Tong to CM Gate all day..and finish at 20:00, but that has varied over the years...in the evening there are more outbound.  12 minute walk from cnx to the corner...good sidewalk, and you go by a 711 and you will see the glorious new immigration building.

Metered taxis are non-existent in Chiang Mai, that's what the taxi drivers tell me.

I have found no taxis willing to use taxi meters in Chiang Mai city center especially the airport.

Traffic laws don't mean anything if there's no enforcement and it's not enforced in Chiang Mai.

Even in  Bangkok, it is difficult to find metered taxis. That's why I always take BTS or buses.

On 4/16/2019 at 4:56 PM, connda said:

In the time that you've done that, I've walked to the road and hailed a tuk-tuk or Songthaw. 

Songthaw can be more expensive and less comfortable than taxis.

Most of them charge exorbitant prices at the airports.

45 minutes ago, moontang said:

A songthaew of that color.  Goes to CM gate, and sometimes inside the moat, but is on a fixed route.

But we have to carry heavy luggage to airport plaza, right?

Why not take the public bus which is just 20 baht instead

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Metered taxis are non-existent in Chiang Mai, that's what the taxi drivers tell me.

I have found no taxis willing to use taxi meters in Chiang Mai city center especially the airport.

Traffic laws don't mean anything if there's no enforcement and it's not enforced in Chiang Mai.

Even in  Bangkok, it is difficult to find metered taxis. That's why I always take BTS or buses.

I can see 20 taxis from my window in BKK at the moment.  All will use meter.  Sukhumvit is a different story, but even at an upmarket area like Huay Kwang it is easy to get a meter.

21 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Even in  Bangkok, it is difficult to find metered taxis. That's why I always take BTS or buses

Not sure which part of Bangkok you go to but if you find it difficult to find a meter taxi then you are doing something seriously wrong. Just hail any passing taxi, get in and they turn on the meter. Now if you're talking torrential rain, outside Nana Plaza after midnight, that may be different...

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

But we have to carry heavy luggage to airport plaza, right?

Why not take the public bus which is just 20 baht instead

Travelling with lots of luggage is a very expensive proposition.  Most of the domestic travelers at CNX are doing one small carry-on.  I tried the public bus, but half are going south...so 1 per hour ...and there is zero shade at that stop..walk in the shade for 12 minutes or stand for eternity at the bus stop.  If you got too much stuff, the songthaews dropping people off will bargain to avoid going back empty.  60-100...

On 4/16/2019 at 4:56 PM, connda said:

In the time that you've done that, I've walked to the road and hailed a tuk-tuk or Songthaw. 

Not a lot of room when you have wife, child luggage and stroller,

plus the aircon never seems to work.

7 hours ago, moontang said:

I can see 20 taxis from my window in BKK at the moment.  All will use meter.  Sukhumvit is a different story, but even at an upmarket area like Huay Kwang it is easy to get a meter.

When I first came to Bangkok many years ago as a tourist, it was very difficult to get a metered taxi to the airport, all of them wanted a fixed rate. 

For travels around the city, there's no reason to get a taxi as the trains and buses are excellent.

7 hours ago, moontang said:

Travelling with lots of luggage is a very expensive proposition.  Most of the domestic travelers at CNX are doing one small carry-on.  I tried the public bus, but half are going south...so 1 per hour ...and there is zero shade at that stop..walk in the shade for 12 minutes or stand for eternity at the bus stop.  If you got too much stuff, the songthaews dropping people off will bargain to avoid going back empty.  60-100...

I think it is 30 minutes per session and not 1 hour. I recently took a bus from airport to Kad Suan Kaew.

On 4/13/2019 at 1:39 PM, cliveshep said:

I thought it was the law that taxis must use the meter? They were charged 600 baht for a 15 minute journey to their Hotel.

So, maybe you misinformed them? And it sounds like they probably agreed to the price before they got in? 

And, as others have noted, it seems they may have taken the most expensive means... 

People new to places make mistakes, but no need to call rip off when you are not sure... 

I'd gladly pay 600bt, or more, to have my wife's relatives take a taxi/limo when they visit us in CM. But, no, that's rude, sayeth the wife. Thus, a 35km roundtrip, highlighted by looking for a parking place in the airport parking lot -- and when found, after several spin arounds, it's probably blocked when I come back, by a car without enough wiggle room to be sufficiently moved. Curbside pickup, of clueless relatives, hasn't been much fun either. So, yeah, I'd gladly pay $19, or more, to avoid that parking lot.

On 4/13/2019 at 2:10 PM, elektrified said:

How is it a rip off? The vans charge 600 Baht - clearly stated.

Call the police? For what? Taxi's don't use meters in Chiang Mai. Prices are 150/300/400/500, etc. depending how far you go. We go to Sansai and it's 350 Baht every time - Thai or farang.

Last couple of times I enquired I was quoted 450 to Sansai. I politely declined, walked out to the main road and ordered a grab for about 150 (sometimes less with promotions). 

5 hours ago, MartinBKK said:

Last couple of times I enquired I was quoted 450 to Sansai. I politely declined, walked out to the main road and ordered a grab for about 150 (sometimes less with promotions). 

San Sai is something like about 60 kilometers long South to North.

There are occasionally a few drivers that get inside and hustle passengers for high prices.  Ignore them and go to the Taxi booths, when unsure check two of the booths for prices.  

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:59 PM, moe666 said:

Some information plese, there is a airport taxi that charges 150b from the airport to any area within the old city area. When you start going futher afield the price goes up but no where near 600b.

I paid 200 from Loi Kroh for a red baht bus pick up at hotel. Always get the price from the driver before boarding.

Meters- what are they? Taxi drivers have no idea.

In LOS there is no "should".

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:01 PM, JimGant said:

I'd gladly pay 600bt, or more, to have my wife's relatives take a taxi/limo when they visit us in CM. But, no, that's rude, sayeth the wife. Thus, a 35km roundtrip, highlighted by looking for a parking place in the airport parking lot -- and when found, after several spin arounds, it's probably blocked when I come back, by a car without enough wiggle room to be sufficiently moved. Curbside pickup, of clueless relatives, hasn't been much fun either. So, yeah, I'd gladly pay $19, or more, to avoid that parking lot.

Why didn't you send her with the car to pick them up? If she can't drive, then it's her problem. Just say no. ( I was married to a Thai- she drove ).

Archived