BANGKOK 25 April 2019 23:19
Oxx

Restaurant booking refused

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

and people go there why? I wouldn't set foot in the place. Plenty of restaurants have good food. 

It's a "must go" place for the foodies/poofs around here. 

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Markup on dinner?  Average restaurant profit 3-5% https://pos.toasttab.com/blog/average-restaurant-profit-margin

You really going to mess with it?

Don't understand your comment. Although I meant to type 'if they can prove'. I'm sure there are people that would baulk at paying a cancellation fee. It's clearly proven by other comments here. 

And, this average, I wonder which country, type, standard of restaurant it refers to. Just an irrelevance. 

1 hour ago, Grusa said:

Poofs? Careful man, your knuckles will get skinned if you walk too far. 🙄 

8 hours ago, Grusa said:

There is a restaurant in Pattaya where if you appear without a booking, you WILL be turned away - even if the place has ten empty tables.

If you are so lucky as to get a booking, and make any complaint about food or service, you get a tongue lashing from the chef/owner, and a ban from ever returning.

That said, the food is very good.

Oh really? I thought that Canterbury Tales on Chaiyaphoom was under new management.

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Some restaurants in the UK take a credit card for a booking, with a sizeable deposit, that is returned as part of the cost of the meal, given back if you cancel outside say 24 hours of the booking,  or forfeit if you don't turn up at all.  Sounds a  good solution to me. 

An easier solution is to simply not accept advance bookings, especially for large groups. No credit cards, no refunds, no forfeits.

I mean what's the worst thing a suitably declined prospective diner can do? Beyond posting on a forum or making a bad 'review' on tripadvisor or just refusing to ever go there I mean?

35 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Oh... sorry, I must have gotten it wrong as there's no poofs at Canterbury Tales.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, fruitman said:

How would a restaurant do that? So you call them to make a booking and they'll say please Paypal us 2000 baht right now to make your booking? And if you don't show up within 30 minutes after the booked time you'll loose the 2000.

That won't work.

You would walk in.