Thai language course?

SteveK

Hi guys,

I've been researching this for a couple of weeks now. I have decided that I would like to attend a proper Thai language course for English speakers whilst in Thailand. I am based in a tiny Isaan village which is too far from Ubon to commute, so would want to attend something residential if possible, seeing as I would be flying, any location within the country would be OK. There are lots of courses listed on the internet, but with the usual sales bluster it is impossible to determine how good they really are.

My Thai is pretty basic, but have studied a few books over the years so know a lot of phrases, can read Thai to a reasonable degree, but desperately need to improve because nobody speaks English where I live. 

I have spoken to two farangs about this in person, both said more or less the same thing - the courses were badly organised, with people of differing abilities mixed into the same cohort so that the classes progressed painfully slowly, they both ended up quitting.

So my two questions would be:

1. What would be a highly-regarded Thai language programme for English speakers? I would prefer something where I get a certificate. Something in the region of 1-3 months Mon-Fri would be perfect.

2. I am on a non-imm O based on marriage, can I study under that visa or would I need to apply for a different visa?

Kind regards.

Hi, I also live in Isaan and a good course you are talking about would be delivered in Central Thai language. Central Thai would probably be no good for the village. You have to find out what language the village talks.

In my village they talk the Isaan language or PhuTai language. The only time I hear Central Thai is over the loudspeaker at the school assembly.

If your village speaks the Isaan language, then it may be better to go to Lao and do a Lao course. (I think they did have some Lao courses in Vientian.

AUA Bangkok did have an Isaan course, but that was about 30 years ago when I did my courses.

So, find out what language and dialect your village talks, and go from there.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, SteveK said:

My Thai is pretty basic, but have studied a few books over the years so know a lot of phrases, can read Thai to a reasonable degree, but desperately need to improve because nobody speaks English where I live. 

What do you expect from a class setting?

Learning a new language is first and foremost learning words, lots of words, this is done by studying hard, repetition, and practicing using these words.

You can already read Thai, so read children’s stories. You are surrounded by Thai people, so speak with them.

You have already studied a few books, so presumably you know how to learn on your own.

If it is true that the people in the village aren't going to understand Central Thai, consider paying some of the men to be a "language parent" to tutor you in the local dialect.  The Spanish professor in the video did just that and acquired conversational Arabic in 1 year (1000 hours).  The video is long but he explains everything.

https://youtu.be/illApgaLgGA

• 2 weeks later...

I think all Thais understand central Thai, but where I live Isaan is spoken most of the time. I want to learn central Thai really, as this would allow me to communicate with everyone.

I really want to attend a full-time residential course.

However, there was a posting on here about a teacher in Ubon who could speak English - maybe private tuition would work out better. Do I need to change my visa type if I start studying full-time?

Archived