Nationwide Songkran celebrations move into high gear

rooster59

Nationwide Songkran celebrations move into high gear

By The Nation

928ceadedd5cc4721d995e63495b09c6.jpeg

Siam Square

Cultural activities and water fights marked the start of the Songkran festival, as tourists and local residents began celebrations for the Thai New Year.

a1d6abb1a42212ba66b665ae82deaad8.jpeg

Thais celebrate the New Year festival with a four-day long holiday from April 13-16.

Many activities were organised across the country on the first day of the celebrations on April 13, especially in major tourist attractions including capital Bangkok, which has emerged as one of the best spots in the country for traditional celebrations.

668e9389a42d9757a9deaedb4ba90d1a.jpeg

Khao San Road, always a major draw for tourists, reverberated with joy and cheers with thousands of revellers getting into friendly water fights, although this year no entertainment activities will be held there.

Khao San Road usually hosts the largest water-fighting festival internationally, but this year organisers will skip entertainment activities in order to prepare the road for the coronation ceremony of HM King Maha Vajiralongkorn to be held early next month.

0b4c173b584a0b79a5335060398a7812.jpeg

In business district Silom Road, the celebrations started around noon on Saturday. Tourist police expect thousands of tourists to join the event this year. 

e738460f086e1647d755ecdce349726c.jpeg

The road will be closed from noon on Saturday until Monday for people to engage in water fights.

b4692d4e3f7b6160728477dfb29fdd32.jpeg

Not far from Silom, in the Siam Square area on Rama I Road, revellers celebrated the water festival under the theme “White Songkran”, or no powder, no revealing dress, no undressing and no alcohol. 

b8a2e74fe074f19475db2025151580fb.jpeg

In front of CentralWorld shopping complex on Ratchaprasong Road, celebrations were held under the theme alcohol-free Songkran.

A cultural feast

b07987ca60850918f31cbc6195eab1a8.png

Elsewhere upcountry, Chiang Mai, the capital city of the North is another prime spot for tourists and it is one of Thailand’s largest venues for Songkran celebrations.

Although the temperature was almost 40 degrees Celsius, thousands of foreign tourists, dressed colourfully and carrying water guns, gathered with local residents at Tha Pae Gate, one of the most famous landmarks in the province on Saturday, to celebrate the event. 

921c84d673fb9a842cf45132e32c7dfc (1).jpeg

In the Northeast region, Khao Niew Road or Sri Chan Road in the Muang district of Khon Kaen province is the main venue to celebrate the festival. 

Isaan’s largest Songkran celebrations kick off early with a cultural parade and showcases at various spots around Khon Kaen town. The main highlight is the water splashing event in the evening, which brings a flood of tourists and residents from all over Isaan to mark the occasion and create the famous “human wave” in which thousands take part.

In the South, Songkhla’s Thepa district is facing shortage of water during the drought season hence the traditional celebrations have been scaled down to save water.

dcf978ba8bcecef683a9492118c7fe65.jpeg

Water is filled in basins, in which six children can play, to prevent any wastage. 

In some places, the New Year was ushered in in a more religious way.

ef0c850c42f74d39a6468ade85fe9d4f.jpeg

In the northeastern Nong Khai province, the Nong Khai Grand Songkran Festival is held on the morning of April 13 every year.

3130f0fd47947bd7527d2789df3783db.jpeg

1bbec73e5d3c6bfcdfb9abec16c0580c.jpeg

e90eb74f56c6b6909bc1ac1883e0310c.jpeg

The faithful join the  beautiful procession, sprinkling water on the sacred Luang Pho Phra Sai at Wat Pho Chai.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30367655

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-14

Yep its a good season, or should be,  but there appears to be a greater incidence of drunks still wondering around the village this year during the afternoon.  Normally they have collapsed into their hammocks, mumbling incoherently by 10 am in the morning on the first day of Songkran . I can only assume that there has been some underhand government tactic of ordering the brewing/distilling companies to reduce the alcohol content by volume yet not advertise it. The only reason I can think of. ????

I'm not old by any stretch but I just can't see the fun/enjoyment in throwing water over people for three days. 

It's got a 'fun' span of about 5 minutes, and yes I have partaken in it a few times over the years. Now I give it a big swerve and just chill at the local beach or at home.

1 minute ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I'm not old by any stretch but I just can't see the fun/enjoyment in throwing water over people for three days. 

It's got a 'fun' span of about 5 minutes, and yes I have partaken in it a few times over the years. Now I give it a big swerve and just chill at the local beach or at home.

Well don't need to stretch my imagine I am indisputably old.   Hence many many years ago, decades even, it was quite refreshing to be sprinkled with water.  I have remarked similarly in another thread, but in those days, without exception, the Thais, young and old, were very courteous, and always asked if it was ok first. Never mind about me being a Farang, even where I live now you can see the loss of respect by some of the teenagers for their own elders.

Now we all learn from our parents, so if their parents used to be courteous, why is it that many teenagers are not so ?

19 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

A cultural feast

Complete with Thai cultural plastic water guns.

How many hundreds of thousands of those plastic non degradable water guns will be discarded and thrown away when finished with to further pollute the land and sea? Who cares; it was just for a bit of harmless fun.

I go to big C every saturday afternoon, to get my bread which the lady in the bakery section keeps for me.

Yesterday wife says not go today, many people throw water, i have to go as my bread is laid aside.

Off i trundle on my scooter, first crowd throwing water look at me, man comes over, please he says, small group come to my scooter and only put a few drops on my face.

Off i go next group children all smile say hello, but nobody throws any water.

Coming back from big C, there is a small boy about 6/7 sees me coming, fills his bowl comes running across the road, as i see him starting to throw it i lift my thumb off the accelerator, scooter stops dead, water goes just in front of me, but not a drop on me, his father was in hysterics it what happened, i was still dry.

Arrived home wife says ohh you dry, nobody throwing water.

In my little corner of Samui, yesterday was the water-throwing day. I went for a wander around my neighbourhood so that the little kids could spray the BWG (Big White Guy) who lives in their midst, then spent a relaxing day at the beach.

Thus ends, with very, very few exceptions, the water-throwing in my town.

It was a lovely event here.

Happy Songkran all.

57 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I go to big C every saturday afternoon, to get my bread which the lady in the bakery section keeps for me.

Yesterday wife says not go today, many people throw water, i have to go as my bread is laid aside.

Off i trundle on my scooter, first crowd throwing water look at me, man comes over, please he says, small group come to my scooter and only put a few drops on my face.

Coming back from big C, there is a small boy about 6/7 sees me coming, fills his bowl comes running across the road, as i see him starting to throw it i lift my thumb off the accelerator, scooter stops dead, water goes just in front of me, but not a drop on me, his father was in hysterics it what happened, i was still dry.

Good you survived but the Father laughing rather typifies the point I made earlier on.  If it was my child he would have got a slap across the back-side, straight home  and a lecture about not only showing respect but about disregard of people with disabilities.  Guess that's the modern Thainess which illustrates my point I made in #2 post

Yesterday I had to go down the Soi Buakhao to go to Friendship. It was very late already and I hoped to avoid the pleasure of Songkran here in Pattaya. What happened - the taxi had to slow down and I was covered with endless liter of water and others as well. What a fun....

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

Yesterday I had to go down the Soi Buakhao to go to Friendship. It was very late already and I hoped to avoid the pleasure of Songkran here in Pattaya. What happened - the taxi had to slow down and I was covered with endless liter of water and others as well. What a fun..../

Why didn't you close the windows?

Tried to go to Tesco today.  Couldn't get out of the village onto the main road for the traffic , nose to tail for miles.  Apparently, talking to some locals, the Police are controlling traffic through a traffic light junction some 5km miles down the road and as usual when police get involved, it is screwing up everyone. Gave up and came home. 

I've nothing against enjoyment, but to be honest, I think  the majority of the celebrations a load of hyped-up bull, an excuse to get drunk and cause havoc. 

The celebrations cause deaths, injuries, is a waste of water, irritates individuals that are normally forced into being attacked and soaked with water against their will. 

There are laws that are supposed to protect the public, but as always, the Thai police are too busy victimising and cheating farang motorcyclists, out of money, when Thais ride past with no helmet etc... in full view of the police. 

This year will be my last Songkran, thank goddess. 

I've personally had enough of this racist country that victamise foreigners. 

There are pastures much greener, healthier, safer, cleaner, cheaper, non racist etc in the world. Thailand, personally, is a waste of my time, effort plus money. 

Amazing Thailand, for the negative reasons. 

53 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

I've nothing against enjoyment, but to be honest, I think  the majority of the celebrations a load of hyped-up bull, an excuse to get drunk and cause havoc. 

The celebrations cause deaths, injuries, is a waste of water, irritates individuals that are normally forced into being attacked and soaked with water against their will. 

There are laws that are supposed to protect the public, but as always, the Thai police are too busy victimising and cheating farang motorcyclists, out of money, when Thais ride past with no helmet etc... in full view of the police. 

There are pastures much greener, healthier, safer, cleaner, cheaper, non racist etc in the world. Thailand, personally, is a waste of my time, effort plus money. 

Bye! Close the door behind you when you leave for Shangri la. I'm going out now to get drunk and cause havoc with the Thais. ????

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

revellers celebrated the water festival under the theme “White Songkran”, or no powder, no revealing dress, no undressing and no alcohol

What a great name! Catchy 

I would have proposed something like 

"White Songkran" no extramarital sex, no murder, no alcohol-induced road slaughter, more foreigner money to help the economy and slightly less xenophobia. 

6 hours ago, Sonhia said:

I agree. It's a stupid, childish holiday and poorly celebrated. 

14 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Yep its a good season, or should be,  but there appears to be a greater incidence of drunks still wondering around the village this year during the afternoon.  Normally they have collapsed into their hammocks, mumbling incoherently by 10 am in the morning on the first day of Songkran . I can only assume that there has been some underhand government tactic of ordering the brewing/distilling companies to reduce the alcohol content by volume yet not advertise it. The only reason I can think of. ????

more likely yaba

14 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

This is just a modern!!!! advent to the New year implemented by the brainless. Go back 40-20 years it was vastly different where respecting the elderly was precedent

I'd have booked the local fire dept and given you proper hosing down!!!!!![emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I now hate it. I am posting this lying on a bed in Wiang Chai hospital waiting for nurses to continue to clean up the painful mess on my arms and legs, caused by some Charlie Uniform November Tango throwing a full bucket of water in my face as I rode past him on my motorcycle this afternoon.

3 hours ago, isaanjohnno said:

This is just a modern!!!! advent to the New year implemented by the brainless. Go back 40-20 years it was vastly different where respecting the elderly was precedent

Most of the photos seem to be of foreigners.  Celebrating the Thai New Year. Why?

They are the worst and the least considerate.  Lord of Misrule Festival more like.

Passing any bar used by tourists makes a journey miserable so that they can confer their 'good luck' on us. What do they know?  The Thais are mostly too busy to be involved, though they will try to visit their families.  Not to drown them either.

I think more young Thais are now copying the version of Songkran they see us doing, though.  Buddha help us!

49 minutes ago, JAG said:

I now hate it. I am posting this lying on a bed in Wiang Chai hospital waiting for nurses to continue to clean up the painful mess on my arms and legs, caused by some Charlie Uniform November Tango throwing a full bucket of water in my face as I rode past him on my motorcycle this afternoon.

Nasty get well soon, gravel rash I presume

3 hours ago, JAG said:

I have seen similar near where I live. Knobbers throwing buckets of water in the face of motorcyclists at the bottom of a steep hill with a blind 90° bend to contend with into the bargain. It's a miracle some poor ba$tard hasn't been killed.

Hope you are being well looked after and the pain meds are liberally distributed.

As several posters here have said, it's all the Farangs' fault, as everything is in Thailand. 

The Thai government's annual pleading with Thais to honor the Songkran tradition and not do things like

Killing each other while drink driving 

Wearing sexually explicit clothing

... is really the fault of bad Farangs influencing all the 67 million pure and perfect Thais. 

????

Archived