Canadian tourist dies after falling from zipline in Chiang Mai

rooster59

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just pointing out that I went ziplining in Chiang Mai a while back, with Skyline Adventure, doing

about 20 different lines during the day.

I found their equipment, procedures, and staff to be excellent.

Cant tar everyone with the same brush, even here.

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Being on ground level is a gamble here, add height into the equation & your risking t all!

Throw a ladyboy into the mix and gravity becomes a huge risk factor in Thailand.

9 hours ago, Pilotman said:

That's why. 

I won't mention the strip for fear of upsetting those people involved. 

So any accidents since you inspected it? Or not?

People die on zip lines in the US also.

6 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

So any accidents since you inspected it? Or not?

People die on zip lines in the US also.

According to a study released in October 2015, an estimated 16,850 non-fatal zipline-related injuries were treated in U.S. emergency departments from 1997 through 2012.  5 deaths that I counted. 

11 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Absolute rubbish.  Maybe you ave no knowledge  of the deaths at the UK theme parks.  The investigations were open and thorough and  the people responsible ended up in court.  I don't know where you come from, maybe in your country it's the same as Thailand, but not in the UK. It's not the first time you have come up with this kind of uninformed comment, probably not the last either.   

On the grounds that it is difficult to be quite so deluded , I think we can assume he is a troll.

Sad  outcome for all involved in what  was intended to be a  fun experience.

I broke an ankle  jumping off the  roof of our  house  holding  my  mum'  golf  umbrella  with all the expectation of  gliding  gently to  the  ground.

Still  have a  very suspicious attitude  to "equipment" !

When I was in my 20's, I was so pleased that I had recently bench pressed 335 pounds. One day a fat dude waddles into the gym, lies on the bench, and starts warming up. Then he starts going heavy. His last reps were sets of 3 in the upper 400s. I am glad that I didn't make any fat jokes.[emoji2]
Wonderful.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have done zip lining in other countries, but I would never do it in Thailand. The safety standards are simply not high enough, and I would not trust that the government authorities perform inspection, and care much about the standards. Public and traffic safety are treated very lightly here, and the army has demonstrated over and over again, that they do not care about the welfare of the common man, much less tourists and ex-pats.

when  in thailand, i like to take it -literally- easy: enjoy  thai food and a pint of beer, check the bars scenes...and back home in europe, i can indulge myself in any kind of sport that i like because  here i know, i'm  insured against accidents. moreover,  regulatiions are strict about this sort of activities

10 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Somewhere in the middle would be good. 

"And then Goldilocks tasted the last bowl of porridge. 

And it was not too hot, or too cold.

It was just right"

Thailand......the country that turned out not to be the Utopia that many foreigners thought it was after all.

But some of them still think it could be.

If only the Thais would.......

On 4/14/2019 at 9:06 AM, Classic Ray said:

Design load for a harness like this should probably be about four times maximum load to be carried, ie 600kg. 

Exactly a 4 - 1 safety factor with all equipment involved would be normal practice, recent legislation puts that number higher when "man" becomes involved, equipment should also be inspected and load tested "regularly"

Seems the Thai's find this unnecessary! 

If as stated that it is farang owned then all the comments about it the Thais just loving the money and not caring about safety standards should be directed at the farang. Doubt that people will do that as most posters on TV just want to bash the Thais at every opportunity they can get.

Although much less expensive, cheap Chinese carabiners and shackles "usually" come in a package that "usually" states ... "Not for climbing" or "Not to be used for life safety" etc. Load ratings on cheap Chinese items such as these cannot be relied upon.

However, once opened and the wrapper is discarded, one would not know until one tries to use such a device if it was indeed manufactured by a reputable company and of a high commercial quality construction (intended for such use).

I just hope that no one here in Thailand would ever consider cutting such corners or trying to save a few thousand baht (when purchasing such life saving devices) as it would be unwise and detrimental for one's long term business model.

You won't catch me dead on a zipline in Thailand or a bungee jump in Bali (for many a good reason).

12 hours ago, Throatwobbler said:

If as stated that it is farang owned then all the comments about it the Thais just loving the money and not caring about safety standards should be directed at the farang. Doubt that people will do that as most posters on TV just want to bash the Thais at every opportunity they can get.

funny you should say that, i told my mrs about this story and said thailand really needs to sort out it's safety record for these kind of pursuits. she said she has been there for a team building thing with her company and a farang runs it. 

On 4/14/2019 at 9:36 AM, marcusarelus said:

and Steve Saunders, a Brit who owns the Sanctuary spa resort in Koh Phangan, in southern Thailand.

He is a shady person, been dealing with illegal drugs before, and also a police volunteer in CM , just look at Andrew Drummond site , if you're outside of Thailand (can't be accessed from Thailand without a VPN). 

If he is one of the owners I am not surprised they are trying to squeeze out money from tourists without following the highest safety standards. 

On 4/14/2019 at 8:48 AM, sweatalot said:

Oh really - I was believing   that they hade learned from the previous similar accidents.

Stupid me

They had learned - that  there are no consequences! So why improve or change something ?
And I bet it even attracts some new customers who are proud to post:
We survived "the zip line of death"!

Archived