Expats in Thailand giving up and moving on

Hockeybik

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:
1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

so you would rather die in your home country than here? That is always the end result no matter what insurance you have

I'd rather die from something sudden, quick and unpredictable.

That's a good point.

Lots of things happen unexpected.

Currently I am getting older but I am still young enough to enjoy Bangkok. I don't know what my priorities will be in 10 or 20 years.

The health insurance is just one of those aspects. Maybe by then Thailand has an affordable insurance for people who live here. Who knows?

And for me, coming from an EU country, there are lots of other places in the EU which are a lot warmer than my "home".

On 4/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, geoffbezoz said:

In my opinion whether it was BJ or mickey mouse getting pushed out, nothing will change for the better. The apparent increase in xenophobia against Farangs in particular has filtered down from people far higher up the sociopolitical arena than Big Joke.  He was just a "first pass policy" tool who could be binned when his purpose was served. I hope there is no 2nd phase which would make BJ seem like a godsend but I am not too hopeful.

There is a huge similarity between what is happening in China, Thailand and lately Cambodia.

What might be the common factor?

On 4/14/2019 at 11:11 AM, mania said:

Not a chance

As much as Foreigners from the West & Europe like to think they matter they don't matter much in

the overall scheme of things in Thailand ( Rich tourist yes...long term shoestring expats no)

If his move had anything to do with immigration at all it was with the weakening of the cheap labor force.

If it was something about his roundups of thousands it was his higher ups were maybe losing their cheap labor/factory workers.

But to be honest I do not think Big Jokes move was immigration motivated at all.

He made the mistake of saying there was some suspicious voter activity/ possible hacking & it was worth looking into.

That was that & I have not seen a peep about it (voter hacking) since....not even able to find the original blurb

The thousands of retirees do matter however, simply because bringing in 50,000 Baht of foreign currencies, every month.

Do the sums.

A former governor of KK once ventilated that every retiree takes care of 1.3 jobs.

Do the sums, again.

On 5/26/2019 at 1:18 AM, The Deerhunter said:

Health is one reason I am going home.  Every experience at every private hospital over-diagnosed and overcharged. 24 stitches for a lacerated finger three weeks ago that I wanted to just bandage but was over-ruled by she who must be obeyed.  If I stay here we are over one hour from any reasonable hospital so at 72 I would be unlikely to survive a stroke or heart attack unlike my chances back home and which would be for free.  I bought an AED but she is too frightened of it to be trained to use it if I have a heart attack.  So Sayonara LOS!

Home already.  She who must be obeyed following after tidying some family property issues.

On 5/26/2019 at 12:22 AM, uhuh said:

It depends on luck and location.

A friend of mine lives 200m from the hospital with the best cardiologists in Thailand. If he has a heart attack during working hours AND if he can convince his wife to bring him to hospital (she may prefer to pray to Buddha) his chances of survival are almost as good as in his home country.

Another guy lived in the sticks somewhere between Chachoengsao and Buriram. So no access to modern medical care in case of an emergency. 

You must be a prayer guy.  I live near the hospital because of planning.  If I vacation I vacation near a hospital who can handle my care.  

On 7/25/2019 at 7:14 PM, simon43 said:

Damn!  I live alone.  Any AEDs that don't need another person to operate them? ????

According to the instructions with mine, it appears they cannot be applied while you are still conscious. You have to have gone unconscious before they can be put on and used. So I guess that's the answer to your question. Sorry about that.

Archived