BANGKOK 19 July 2019 21:23
Hockeybik

Expats in Thailand giving up and moving on

55 minutes ago, abizeus said:

I don't have many years behind me in Thailand like many here.

Been here since 2001 and there criteria for new visa's next year is absolutely beyond me.

They are expecting us to show 65,000bht coming from pension from your Country origin!!!

I actually do not know anyone receiving that much pension, in fact, I hardly netted that when working in UK.

Anyhow, hope all the farangs leave, like myself and leave's Thailand completely on its arse.

Good riddance to Thailand and I know for sure I won't even return for a short holiday in future.

Vietnam, Da Nang here I come - Marry a Vietnamese if you like and get 5 year visa.

They do actually want us there.

All the best Thailand - please sink.

How have you been getting an extension if you don't have a 65K income?

You could always combine cash in the bank and income.

Mass exodus? Probably not but the Brits have shot themselves in the foot with austerity and Brexit and the elderly with no real healthcare should get out while they still can.

Old people without insurance expose the lack of ethics in Thai healthcare when they get sick and the Thai authorities don

t like that 

• Confused 1

On 4/14/2019 at 6:35 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

"giving up"?

Did we all give up when we left our home countries and when we moved to Thailand?

Or did we make a decision that we wanted something different than "home"?

And now, if some people decide that they move again out of Thailand do they "give up"? Or do they decide that now they want to live somewhere else again?

Currently I am happy in Thailand and I guess I will live here for at least another 10 years, probably longer.

But with higher age and higher health risk and higher health insurance cost I might consider my options.

https://www.emigrate.co.uk/news/20190420-25506_survey-places-bangkok-as-more-expensive-than-london-madrid-and-berlin-

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 7:58 PM, sfokevin said:

Before you call the Thais xenophobic take a look at your home countries immigration policy...

Mine involves the potential of being caged... :coffee1:

Thai immigration is not "immigration" at all--which implies by its very definition at least the potential for citizenship and full rights as a naturalized citizen. What is commonly referred to, erroneously, if not obscenely, as immigration in Thailand is merely the tentative permission to be granted temporary access into the country and perhaps an extension of that permission. Name one Western country whose immigration policies even vaguely approach this. The closest thing I think of would be the Visegrad countries, if you consider those countries "western," and those countries--Poland, Hungary, etc.--are routinely poo-poo'ed by the international press for their "xenophobia." 

• Like 1

Giving up? What? Why and Where?

I know that plenty of Thai friends have serious problems these days they never had before. A lot of foreigners believe that all has changed, but that's not true. 

Immigration changed a law that made it possible to live here without a real income, a signed document was enough proof. And that's gone now and it's not fair to blame the government for such changes.

In my opinion, all got more expensive, while salaries stay as they are. The country is still better to live in than many others, more developed ones. 

I've got a nice family, my job's okay ( could be worse ), we always have enough money to eat out, I've got my health insurance, for 450 baht/month.

Got a car, a bike and I know some nice people I like to have a chat with.

I had a time when I was thinking that all would be shi__y, but I guess we all have that from time to time. Yin and Yang, the good and the bad. I have bad days and good days and I guess we all do. 

It's not a shame to fall down, that can happen. But we have to be aware on how to get up again and live our lives in a way that it's enjoyable. Whining about things doesn't change anything. 

Life can be damn short and we should enjoy each and every minute of it. Who knows, a truck this evening could be the last thing I see. 

A great day, ladies and gents. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Has anyone read another toilet story with the Chinese.  This time a Chinese person taking a dump for all to see in downtown Bangkok I believe.  Is that Thailands future? 

Posted (edited)
On 4/22/2019 at 1:41 AM, Spidey said:

No surprise to me that the recent spate of "I'm sick of Thailand and it's immigration rules, I'm off" threads are primarily started by US citizens. I wonder why?

Because the thought of returning to UK is absolutely dire and most will go to absolutely any length not to bear the poor value, excessive taxes, overpriced real estate, atrocious food, loutish behavior, drunks, darkness, dampness and fat, mouthy women??

Just a hunch guv'na

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 2

On 4/14/2019 at 8:40 AM, BestB said:

Rather strange editorial of you asked me. 

All the silly changes affect those on retirement visa not those on business visa’s.

I do not feel attitude towards working foreigners has changed at all. Renewing visa has not changed nor has renewing WP.

It sure did not get easier, but did not get harder either.

Running biz did hard harder under junta and its never ending hunt for something illegal.

Would I leave after 18 years here? Yes I could but not something I want to do or plan to do yet I have thought about it.

My change would be Malaysia second home. It more of less is now as I

I go there three to four times a year . Four years ago you paid 12Baht/1 Myr now 7.5 Baht/1 Myr.   

On 4/15/2019 at 1:21 PM, John Sutherland said:

Exactly, the 2 strictest in the world for immigration are U.K and U.S.A. If you make a genuine application that is.

I have a Thai friend who wanted to visit the USA as a tourist.  Owns her own business, two houses, solid citizen.  Denied a visa.  I told her to go to Mexico and wade the river.  Easier and she could stay as long as she wanted to.

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I just used my agent in the usual way. No change at all.

(In the Usual way??)

I dare you to Specify step by step what your agent does for you and what you don’t have  to do  yourself??

and what you pay him..

11 hours ago, williet98248 said:

I have a Thai friend who wanted to visit the USA as a tourist.  Owns her own business, two houses, solid citizen.  Denied a visa.  I told her to go to Mexico and wade the river.  Easier and she could stay as long as she wanted to.

The only reason the US Embassy or Consulate would reject your girlfriends application for a tourist visa to the states, is they consider her a flight risk.  

• Like 1