Expats in Thailand giving up and moving on

Hockeybik

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:35 AM, geoffbezoz said:

In my opinion whether it was BJ or mickey mouse getting pushed out, nothing will change for the better. The apparent increase in xenophobia against Farangs in particular has filtered down from people far higher up the sociopolitical arena than Big Joke.  He was just a "first pass policy" tool who could be binned when his purpose was served. I hope there is no 2nd phase which would make BJ seem like a godsend but I am not too hopeful.

It's higher up than is healthier to believe......  The farang's done here......

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Many expats had to leave when the embassy letter wasn't an option anymore because they could state any amounts of income which they didn't have.

1- Embassy letter is still an option, used by expats of most countries.

2- How much is "many"? 20? 10? :whistling:. Personally I don't know any who left for this reason, and if they are from a country that stopped to provide these letters, they still have several other options to stay here.

On 4/22/2019 at 1:41 AM, Spidey said:

No surprise to me that the recent spate of "I'm sick of Thailand and it's immigration rules, I'm off" threads are primarily started by US citizens. I wonder why?

Because 95% of the Brits left 2 years ago - currency problems.  5% leaving as soon as the insurance gets thrown in. 

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Because 95% of the Brits left 2 years ago - currency problems.  5% leaving as soon as the insurance gets thrown in. 

Crazy comment, i am British and i aint going anywhere.

My long suffering wife has got me till im gone.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I doubt if Mr. Big Jokes idiotic ideas to make visa extensions more difficult for western retirees had anything to do with his current demise.  If anything, harrassing western retirees would be a source of amusement for his superiors.  He had to have angered someone higher than the Junta leader by something he said or did.  There is only one person who could end Mr. Big Jokes career path so quickly.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:30 AM, quandow said:

From the article:  "The new rules are sowing chaos and confusion"

The dust has settled, we've either acclimated or moved on. I know a guy who knows a guy, and that guy says it's business as usual (though he raised his annual rates by ฿500). Yes, we were confused and anxious, but the days of 500+ responses in a 24 hour period about announcements made by immigration (alleged or actual) are done. Life goes on.

I used an agent last week.  no change. we went to office together. I gave her 25k...she handed over a wad to an official with my pp and bb and I got my 1 year extension and multiple a few hours later.

On 5/21/2019 at 7:08 AM, marcusarelus said:

Sure they did. Just tumbleweed blowing down Soi Buakhaow nowadays.

12 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I used an agent last week.  no change. we went to office together. I gave her 25k...she handed over a wad to an official with my pp and bb and I got my 1 year extension and multiple a few hours later.

I am against the fact of using agents. This can only lead to more difficult Extensions for all of us in the future :crying: ...

but if using one, why pay an expensive one at 25kB when many agents advertise for half this price ? :ermm:

On 4/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, geoffbezoz said:

In my opinion whether it was BJ or mickey mouse getting pushed out, nothing will change for the better. The apparent increase in xenophobia against Farangs in particular has filtered down from people far higher up the sociopolitical arena than Big Joke.  He was just a "first pass policy" tool who could be binned when his purpose was served. I hope there is no 2nd phase which would make BJ seem like a godsend but I am not too hopeful.

Any specific reason or thoughts behind your beliefs?

There seems to be a fair amount of western retirees who live in some sort of bubble like environment, that can't see their fellow expats leaving Thailand, as their visa extensions come due.  Some have even asked to see poll numbers or reports from Thai Immigration about the number of expats leaving.

I have never seen an accurate poll taken on anything since I have lived in Thailand, and Thai Immigration would be one the last to divulge this information.  Since they have created this mess, they are willing to sit in silence, while condo apartments become empty and local businesses suffer financially from the loss in income.

The "Land of Smiles" is slowly turning to a frown as the Thai government continues tightening the screws on the remaining western retirees.  

9 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

There seems to be a fair amount of western retirees who live in some sort of bubble like environment, that can't see their fellow expats leaving Thailand, as their visa extensions come due.  Some have even asked to see poll numbers or reports from Thai Immigration about the number of expats leaving.

I'm the last guy left out of my group of expats in Thailand.

In the last four years, 1 went back to the UK with AIDs, 1 went back to Australia broke, 1 was deported for overstay, 1 went to Cambodia not enough for the Thai VISA, 3 died (1 old, 2 young).

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:52 PM, Hockeybik said:

I agree with you, not much really changed but you must remember that perception is reality. The news and the "perception" lately has been one of "it's way worse than it was" and "it effects everyone". There is no denying that obtaining retirement visas did take an uptick in difficulty with stricter enforcement of proof of finances. 

Hmmmmm. Thailand HAS changed, in many ways.

Ask anyone been in LOS more than 20 years.

Re staying, way back I could have stayed as long as I wanted on back to back 90 day visa exempt at the border. Now I can't. That's a BIG change.

Thais used to smile, now they don't. That's a BIG change.

Fat people used to be an exception, now they are normal. That's a BIG change.

I gave up ( unwillingly ) and moved out, and on ( but I'd rather be there ).

23 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I have never seen an accurate poll taken on anything since I have lived in Thailand, and Thai Immigration would be one the last to divulge this information.  Since they have created this mess, they are willing to sit in silence, while condo apartments become empty and local businesses suffer financially from the loss in income.

The "Land of Smiles" is slowly turning to a frown as the Thai government continues tightening the screws on the remaining western retirees.  

Other than increasingly silly extension rules, I did not notice any "tightening of the screws".

IMO most move out because their home currency isn't worth <deleted> any more and they can't afford the lifestyle to which they aspire.

It is true though that LOS is less attractive as a retirement destination. The smile left town years ago, the beaches are destroyed, every city is a <deleted><deleted> and inflation is making the girls unaffordable.

Having said that, I was happy as a sandboy in a very large box of sand living in a nice hotel, watching 60 baht DVDs and cable tv. Unfortunately, marriage to the wrong woman ruined me financially, and I had to leave.

It seems stricter visa rules keep been implemented so that less foreigners are able and or are willing to comply and so they move on or aren’t even coming over as its no longer a suitable long term destination.

Other nearby Countries will be happy with this unexpected gift.

7 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I am against the fact of using agents. This can only lead to more difficult Extensions for all of us in the future :crying: ...

but if using one, why pay an expensive one at 25kB when many agents advertise for half this price ? :ermm:

My agent cost less than 10,000 baht if I remember correctly. 25,000 is probably for bribes because they have a dodgy situation.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Other than increasingly silly extension rules, I did not notice any "tightening of the screws".

IMO most move out because their home currency isn't worth <deleted> any more and they can't afford the lifestyle to which they aspire.

It is true though that LOS is less attractive as a retirement destination. The smile left town years ago, the beaches are destroyed, every city is a <deleted><deleted> and inflation is making the girls unaffordable.

Having said that, I was happy as a sandboy in a very large box of sand living in a nice hotel, watching 60 baht DVDs and cable tv. Unfortunately, marriage to the wrong woman ruined me financially, and I had to leave.

Yes by tightening the screws for longterm stayers the only thing needs to be done is to harsher complicate our visa extensions procedures.. Its that simple.

Just now, Destiny1990 said:

Yes by tightening the screws for longterm stayers the only thing needs to be done is to harsher complicate our visa extensions procedures.. Its that simple.

By using an agent at a reasonable price, I had no problems getting my extension. It's only difficult if one wants to do it oneself.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My agent cost less than 10,000 baht if I remember correctly. 25,000 is probably for bribes because they have a dodgy situation.

More likely that person his upbeat story was completely false and or he is an idiot for paying double the price.

21 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

For under 50 years agents cant do much.

What ur agent does exactly for you?  

Obviously I was only referring to those that can legally live in LOS on extensions.

My agent did everything for me. I only had to provide original documents, go to the bank for the letter and update, and turn up to get my photo taken before getting the extension. So worth it. No more arriving at 4 am to get an appointment, and stressing that I didn't have the correct bits of paper.

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

By using an agent at a reasonable price, I had no problems getting my extension. It's only difficult if one wants to do it oneself.

It's absolutely NOT difficult.

Just made mine this week in Jomtien:

4 sheets of paper, 1'900B, Passport, 5 minutes and done. :cool:

PS: It may be a bit more complicated if you have to prove money transfers.

6 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

For those with a Letter of Income it is a piece of cake. 

Well at least my experience for the last 15 years. 

Hope it may go on. 

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Just made mine this week in Jomtien:

4 sheets of paper, 1'900B, Passport, 5 minutes and done. :cool:

PS: It may be a bit more complicated if you have to prove money transfers.

LOL. That's in Jomptien. Try doing it in Chiang Mai- different story. They love to invent new rules up there.

On 4/14/2019 at 9:06 AM, BestB said:

Also agree with you, many things appear bad and have changed in general but as saying goes grass always looks greener on the other side.

other places may look more attractive until you move there and find out there are problems there also. Example , Cambodia looks like an easy choice, cheaper and easier with visa but health and infrastructure is lacking. So one may well be excited about washer visa but then hit the wall with some health issues.

Health is one reason I am going home.  Every experience at every private hospital over-diagnosed and overcharged. 24 stitches for a lacerated finger three weeks ago that I wanted to just bandage but was over-ruled by she who must be obeyed.  If I stay here we are over one hour from any reasonable hospital so at 72 I would be unlikely to survive a stroke or heart attack unlike my chances back home and which would be for free.  I bought an AED but she is too frightened of it to be trained to use it if I have a heart attack.  So Sayonara LOS!

Archived