Went to the waterfalls for Songkran but only Thais get in free, not foreigners.

9 minutes ago, stevenl said:

With workpermit or DT I have always paid the Thai price.

So it is a local discount.

The official rules define a price for Thai citizens, and another price for all others. Has nothing to do with being local.

It's written like this on the signs at the entrance of most national parks. Most people working there follow these official rules, maybe you were lucky and went to the places where the people can't read their own signs.

46 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Here a lot of families are poor, and dont have the disposal income to indulge themselves as most Westerns can.

But what does strike me as rather unfair, though, is that no distinction is made between Thai families who are genuinely poor and those who DO have the disposable income to indulge themselves as most Westerners can. That said, the concept of fairness doesn't appear to exist anywhere near as strongly in Thai culture as it does in Western society - so, as others have intimated, what choice do we foreigners have other than lumping the existing status quo if we don't like it?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Doesn't matter if he has permanent residency or a non-immigrant visa, because the official rule is "price x for thai citizens" and "price y (usually 5 or 10 times x) for all others"

Nonsense, I know loads of foreign born Thai nationals, they don't pay the foreigner price, they just show their Thai ID.

Went to Somsak mining and passed this waterfall,got in for the local price upon presenting the pink id card.

I would have paid the full amount to go in but this was a nice break.

20161106_065718.jpg

20161106_085841 (1).jpg

41 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

The difference is that someone living in Florida would get the discount, regardless of country of origin.

He is a local in Thailand but it is a discount for native Thais, not a locals discount.

A discount for all locals would avoid the feeling of being ripped off and insulted, which is a result of letting some locals like his wife and kids in for the low rate and the husband who is also a local has to pay the high rate.

The difference is that Thais define "local" as Thai, regardless of country of origin. Hence any farang with a Thai ID card gets the Thai price as well. You can read about the process of getting one for yourself here: 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/121353-story-of-my-thai-citizenship-application

Nothing to do with race either, except foreign Asians who look Thai are often mistaken for Thai. That's annoying, but it avoids the inconvenience and possibly lines of people all showing their ID cards or lack thereof for small profit.

So no need to feel ripped off and insulted, now that you know how it really works. ????

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, uhuh said:

1. It's about race. 

Not only Burmese get in free, as written by another poster.

Chinese get in free, too.  Done it many times. 

Non-Asians must pay.

2. It's not that farang can afford to pay and Thais are poor.

Those Thais who visit tourist attractions are usually not the poor ones.

Those Thais who make these rules and profit from them are city Thais who have more money than most farangs here.

The idea that farangs are richer than Thais is quite outdated, if it ever was true (Thais own land).

Yes, plenty of posters have claimed in the past that they saw Asian foreigners get in for the Thai price, you believe them and use that as if it is some sort of evidence that this is a racist campaign, when what those posters neglect to consider is that there are millions of nationalized Chinese and Burmese in Thailand.

The concept is to raise prices to support the maintaining of the park without preventing poor locals from being able to go, of course most who go could afford the foreigner fee, it is richer people who go on the most trips, but what about the poor people, do you really want to exclude them from their own nature?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Did she enquire about you using your workpermit or Thai DL to gain free entrance?

Some locations accept that, but not always.. Tourists can get Thai DL.

The pink card gives sometime more advantage.. not always, years ago it was the lao/birma/cambodian working here who did have the pink card, some Thai people still 'class' these cards as such, the only difference is the text on the back,  in that case the Thai DL gives you more options.

Use pink where many farangs go / has boldy gone before.

I remember one location, they accepted the Thai DL but you still have to buy a entrance ticket.

That ticket, with some added notes, then gives you free entrance lifetime after the next visit.

I thanked and did not go in.

This practice is really nonsense, and double pricing I walk away or pay the Thai price with a smile.

(parks: booking online, get at 7eleven or let Thai pickup the tickets)

Farangs who still believe we should pay more then Thai, they still believe in unequallity and they are. Buy 10 tickets and go alone, good on you. But let the other who believe we are equal, pay the normal price.

Better 20 happy farangs go and pay normal price then one happy (rich) and one grumpy (you) farang go pay the double price, just simple as that.

Rgds,

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Yes, plenty of posters have claimed in the past that they saw Asian foreigners get in for the Thai price, you believe them and use that as if it is some sort of evidence that this is a racist campaign, when what those posters neglect to consider is that there are millions of nationalized Chinese and Burmese in Thailand

I wrote "Done it many times". Is that not clear enough? 

So I just made my post a bit clearer, we did get in for Thai price.

I don't have to believe anybody. 

Edited by uhuh

21 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But what does strike me as rather unfair, though, is that no distinction is made between Thai families who are genuinely poor and those who DO have the disposable income to indulge themselves as most Westerners can. 

What do you want, means testing for Thais as they queue to visit these attractions?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, stevenl said:

With workpermit or DT I have always paid the Thai price.

So it is a local discount.

If it was a locals discount, all locals would get the discount.

The OP is a local. He was refused the discount.

Many locals do not have a work permit. I don't know what a DT is but I assume the same situation as the work permit.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Confused 1

It is "tourists" vs Thais, not "asians vs whites" or foreigners. 

I see this happen in western countries all the time. College tuition can be 10-20 times higher for foreigners and non residents. Even Disneyland got in on this, I remember there were massive discounts for people with local id's. 

Foreigners and tourists are treated differently than Locals in every country. 

• Like 1

Just now, Just Weird said:

What do you want, means testing for Thais as they queue to visit these attractions?

Actually quite easy to make this more fair: Increase the price for vehicles.

Rich people arrive with two people in a car, poor people arrive with ten people on a pickup or on a motorbike.

Something like:

Adult 40 THB

Child 20 THB

Car 300 THB

Motorbike up to 125cc 50 THB

Bigger motorbike 100 THB

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Despondent Foreigner said:

My wife was driving. She refused to let me pay. 

But you wrote ........ proceeded to drive back down to the bottom of the waterfall where we could all swim for free.

5 minutes ago, direction BANGKOK said:

It is "tourists" vs Thais, not "asians vs whites" or foreigners. 

I see this happen in western countries all the time. College tuition can be 10-20 times higher for foreigners and non residents. Even Disneyland got in on this, I remember there were massive discounts for people with local id's. 

Foreigners and tourists are treated differently than Locals in every country. 

Thai pricing is only about being a Thai citizen, not about being local, this was explained many times before.

Somebody who is living and working full time in Thailand for 10 years (but didn't get citizenship) does still pay the tourist price. In western countries this person would probably get the locals discount.

40 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The official rules define a price for Thai citizens, and another price for all others. Has nothing to do with being local.

It's written like this on the signs at the entrance of most national parks. Most people working there follow these official rules, maybe you were lucky and went to the places where the people can't read their own signs.

No, this has nothing to do with me being lucky. As always here, there is a difference in the official rules and the interpretation.

My wife was driving. She refused to let me pay. 

some contradiction with your comments, quote """" Well we were all disgusted and proceeded to drive back down to the bottom of the waterfall where we could all swim for free. """ end of quote.

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Thai pricing is only about being a Thai citizen, not about being local, this was explained many times before.

Somebody who is living and working full time in Thailand for 10 years (but didn't get citizenship) does still pay the tourist price. In western countries this person would probably get the locals discount.

"Somebody who is living and working full time in Thailand for 10 years (but didn't get citizenship) does still pay the tourist price."

This has been explained to you many times before.

You're incorrect, I have never paid the tourist price, and that is in over 10 years. Only at Grand Palace I pay tourist price, as do all foreigners.

13 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

If it was a locals discount, all locals would get the discount.

The OP is a local. He was refused the discount.

Many locals do not have a work permit. I don't know what a DT is but I assume the same situation as the work permit.

Was OP a local? Does he have non-immigrant visa and ask about entrance with WP, yellow book or Thai DL?

Question asked before already, not answered yet.

Does that make it right then? Imagine this kind of thing happening in the UK or the states to asian people.. There would be absolute uproar and rightly so! Free for Americans but asians must pay! Could you imagine?? CBS news would have a meltdown!

you would be surprised by the kind of "things" happening to the Asians living in the states or in the UK and no, CBS news world would not have a meltdown as they know about some

I actually don't mind dual pricing. However, it does make me feel uneasy that if you are married to a Thai and have children you are still treated like a disposable wallet. That is very third world and not acceptable in any country. It's just lowest of the low bottom of the barrel stuff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, batata said:

some contradiction with your comments, quote """" Well we were all disgusted and proceeded to drive back down to the bottom of the waterfall where we could all swim for free. """ end of quote.

at the bottom of this waterfall, as with most other waterfalls, it opens up into a small river. There is no manned gate on the river so everyone can swim there for free. I was only asked to pay as we were entering the Promlok national park area. All the Thais however got in for free.

Edited by Despondent Foreigner