BANGKOK 23 April 2019 14:53
Despondent Foreigner

Went to the waterfalls for Songkran but only Thais get in free, not foreigners.

I have no issue paying slightly more, eg - 80b instead of 40b.

What I do have a real annoyance to is some of the places charging 8 or more times the price. I was in Ayutthaya last year and was forced to pay 320b for a ticket to 4 or 5 of the temples when my wife paid just 40b. They rudely wouldn't accept my WP, DL or even my wife showing her Thai ID with my surname added on it.

I pay about 13,000b / month in tax so over the course of a year that is 156,000b Thailand gets from me working here. I am not expecting hordes of gratitude, but being treated fairly would be appreciated, as would an entry line at airports for people working here (like many other countries) and not being forced to queue with the hordes of tourists at immigration. 

You can get a fast track letter which allows you to use the priority lane at immigration at the same time as you extend your WP each year or you can apply online
Your Thai HR colleagues at your company should be able to do this for you
Email visa@boi.go.th for details

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/14/2019 at 1:20 PM, faraday said:

How much were you expected to pay?

Like it, lump it or don't visit Thai parks as it's been going on for a while!

On 4/15/2019 at 1:02 PM, uhuh said:

These are interesting figures that certainly support your argument ( but you talk about fees for tourists,  which is not what this thread is mainly about).

May I ask where you get these figures from and what kind of "parks" they refer to? (I suspect it is Koh Samet, Similan and similar tourist traps, sorry, attractions... but I really don't know)

The figures are in a link a few pages back, it refers to the the parks which charge, there are only about 20 out of some 110 ish national parks which do charge, the rest are free  Overall, at fee paying parks, the numbers have doubled in less than 10 years raising an extra 2 billion baht.

38 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The figures are in a link a few pages back, it refers to the the parks which charge, there are only about 20 out of some 110 ish national parks which do charge, the rest are free  Overall, at fee paying parks, the numbers have doubled in less than 10 years raising an extra 2 billion baht. 

Some of your numbers are wrong, and when looking at the official numbers there are some numbers which don't make sense: http://www.dnp.go.th/statistics/2560/stat2560.asp

2007 there were 12 million visitors, in 2017 it were 18 million, so they didn't double, but increase by 50%

But the 2007 statistic counted only 61 national parks, while the 2017 statistic counts 129 national parks. For example the national park with the most visitors, Phi Phi, shows up in these statistics the first time in 2014, but probably it existed before.

If somebody here is bored he can count the number of visitors in 2017 to the parks which were counted in the 2007 statistic. Probably this will show more something like a 25% increase in visitors over 10 years.

Then we can look at the revenue of the national parks, which just doesn't make much sense.

From 2007 starting at 500 million, it slightly increased to 700 million in 2014, and then 900 million in 2015 (fees were increased beginning of 2015), 2 billion in 2016 and 2.4 billion in 2017.

You might now think this is because the earlier statistic only included 61 parks and not all 129 parks, as i said before. But since at least 2013 these statistics include 129 national parks.

So at least i wonder where these numbers come from and if they are in any way real, because from 900 million in 2015 to 2.4 billion over 3 years, while only having a slight increase in visitor numbers just doesn't make sense. Did the TAT need some impressive numbers and the department of national parks delivered?

What is really sad, apart from the dual pricing based on race/nationality, is that some people are apparently happy with the dual pricing.
If you people have money to throw away, why don't you donate to orphan children, or some in real need ?

Many of us already do donate

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

I know its an incredibly technical subject and is clearly just too difficult for some to get their head around, I'll try to put it in simple words....

These other countries mentioned offer residents of any nationality a residents rate.

If you are unable to understand the difference between a National and a Resident - then I'd agree, just sit back, enjoy the ignorance of a simple life and keep the blood pressure under control. 

And also understand the difference between a residence visa and a non- immigrant visa

11 hours ago, Sealbash said:

Many of us already do donate

I have visited some well known temples and waterfalls, and if it's worth, i am glad to pay a higher price to visit, happy to do my bit for the maintenance of the places, still i think that double pricing the foreigners doesn't look good.

Those foreigners are already supporting the tourism business, they should not be (and feel) over-exploited.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:40 AM, Vacuum said:

He could have stayed somewhere and enjoyed a couple of cold ones, whilst the family went to the waterfall. That's what I would have done (his wife was the driver). :burp:

I usually sneak in along a hiking/cycling trail, there's always a back way in.

• Like 1