Went to the waterfalls for Songkran but only Thais get in free, not foreigners.

Several years ago an aquarium tried to charge my (dual national/born here) kids admission on childrens day while others went in for free. When challenged they feigned some ol' cobblers about 'height restriction' as a face-saving measure but the truth of the matter is that it was nothing more than a skin tax. My wife quite rightly declined & I (had dropped them off but wasn't actually present/attending) took them elsewhere instead.

We have never been back.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"Somebody who is living and working full time in Thailand for 10 years (but didn't get citizenship) does still pay the tourist price."

This has been explained to you many times before.

You're incorrect, I have never paid the tourist price, and that is in over 10 years. Only at Grand Palace I pay tourist price, as do all foreigners.

Here something which you said yourself:

On 1/17/2015 at 11:34 AM, stevenl said:

In most national parks with workpermit or Thai DL you'll get the Thai price. But not guaranteed.

The law only distincts foreigners from Thai nationals, so one is not entitled to Thai price with WP or DL.

2 minutes ago, Despondent Foreigner said:

at the bottom of this waterfall, as with most other waterfalls, it opens up into a small river. There is no manned gate on the river so everyone can swim there for free. I was only asked to pay as we were entering the Promlok national park area. All the Thais however got in for free.

so to understand clear, did you and your family went to the park yes or no, if yes did you enjoyed the trip and had a good day, if so let it go, enjoy life, life is short make the best of it while you can

2 minutes ago, batata said:

interesting, where is that happening, do u have supporting data,

I just posted 2 times we did it many times. 

I suggest you read my posts. 

Supporting data: I suggest you film us next time. 

OmG

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Several years ago an aquarium tried to charge my (dual national/born here) kids admission on childrens day while others went in for free. When challenged they feigned some ol' cobblers about 'height restriction' as a face-saving measure but the truth of the matter is that it was nothing more than a skin tax. My wife quite rightly declined & I (had dropped them off but wasn't actually present/attending) took them elsewhere instead.

We have never been back.

Yes, this pops up from time to time. 

I find it quite believable

Edited by uhuh

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Here something which you said yourself:

Glad you're starting to understand.

Now also remember what I just said " No, this has nothing to do with me being lucky. As always here, there is a difference in the official rules and the interpretation. "

5 minutes ago, uhuh said:

I just posted 2 times we did it many times. 

I suggest you read my posts. 

Supporting data: I suggest you film us next time. 

OmG

so u don't have anything to support your comment, I thought so, saying that ""we did it many times"" doesn't proof anything, where, at what places, when that was the question

22 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What do you want, means testing for Thais as they queue to visit these attractions?

Not means testing, but simply proof that they were residents of the province in which a particular attraction was located strikes me as the most practicable way forward in determining entitlement (or otherwise) to concessionary rates. All that they'd need to do is flash their ID cards at attraction entrances. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

If my back acts up, I can pay 150b for a proper Thai massage that would cost at least 2000b in North America; my 49 sqm bachelor apartment, that costs 4000b PM, would cost at least 20,000b; dental work is much cheaper; my high speed Internet costs 100b Pm - compared to 2000b PM; and food is much cheaper...

How much would a Thai pay for that massage etc in N America?

Edited by evadgib

6 minutes ago, batata said:

so u don't have anything to support your comment, I thought so, saying that ""we did it many times"" doesn't proof anything, where, at what places, when that was the question

eg Jade Buddha, there is no tourist attraction where they observe the rules about paying better

Anything written in TV doesn't prove anything, so I will not answer to you again

6 minutes ago, batata said:

is anybody holding you here? if things are so expensive compared to your home, why did you come... anyway, why is that related to the original post topic

OmG, not again!

• Like 2

eg Jade Buddha, there is no tourist attraction where they observe the rules about paying better

Anything written in TV doesn't prove anything, so I will not answer to you again

Again, they don't know you're not Thai.

18 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Not means testing, but simply proof that they were residents of the province in which a particular attraction was located strikes me as the most practicable way forward in determining entitlement (or otherwise) to concessionary rates. All that they'd need to do is flash their ID cards at attraction entrances. 

There is no argument about their entitlement, they're Thai!  How does a person's address on an ID card determine whether they are poor or otherwise?

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Again, they don't know you're not Thai.

That's true.

And that's why it's called racial profiling.

BTW what happens if they check the passport and see the bearer is not Thai but looks Thai?

You lose the advantages of a Thai (like discounts).

But you still don't get the advantages of a foreigner (like being admitted to a place that doesn't accept Thais).

Just my experience. 

14 minutes ago, uhuh said:

OmG, not again!

u were caught on a misleading post and OMG it's all you have to say, interesting personality

Edited by batata

That's true.

And that's why it's called racial profiling.

BTW what happens if they check the passport and see the bearer is not Thai but looks Thai?

You lose the advantages of a Thai (like discounts).

But you still don't get the advantages of a foreigner (like being admitted to a place that doesn't accept Thais).

Just my experience. 

Nonsense, thgat's why it is nationality based.

Next time go to the ticket office and state you or your party is Chinese.

1 hour ago, hyku1147 said:

If my back acts up, I can pay 150b for a proper Thai massage that would cost at least 2000b in North America; my 49 sqm bachelor apartment, that costs 4000b PM, would cost at least 20,000b; dental work is much cheaper; my high speed Internet costs 100b Pm - compared to 2000b PM; and food is much cheaper...

So , it is fair to pay the same amount as other do.

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

How much property tax or income tax you pay OP?

Shame on you for your attitude and not paying a minimal entrance fee....

How much property tax or income tax do Thais pay?

Edited by donim
  • Like 1

There should be a implementation to seperate Foreigners living here and Foreigners visiting Thailand as tourists.

I know countries that do this.  No nationality but 'local' and 'visitor'.

Balki.gif.200b5582860b9f46199cf8b8d766fbcc.gif

Edited by donim

7 minutes ago, donim said:

There should be a implementation to seperate Foreigners living here and Foreigners visiting Thailand as tourists.

I know countries that do this.  No nationality but 'local' and 'visitor'.

Balki.gif.200b5582860b9f46199cf8b8d766fbcc.gif

Yes, Thailand does this.

OP is not answering the questions about his status and attempts, no point in this discussion.

• Like 1

Thais get cheaper entry to Thailand attractions.

Shock, Horror. ????????????????????????????

Us foreigners are so hard done by and discriminated against. Booo hoooo. Where's my hanky.

But it should be remembered, In my opinion, they know we get things they can only dream about.

Like high wages (compared to Thailand) throughout our working lives.  Good pensions from our working days. Huge (relative to almost non existent Thai pension) state pension on top.

We also show our relative wealth by having larger condos or houses etc etc. Not to mention some spend more in bars in one evening than many Thais earn in a week. 

Actually many of us spend more in one night in bars than say a Policeman gets in a month.

They know that our wealth relative to them is huge.

Poor people in my country get free housing, free travel  (if a pensioner) money for food and utilities.

Then there is the free education, free health care etc etc etc etc we have had all our lives. Thais dream of that.

Poor people here (the majority) get cheaper entry to a waterfall than us entitled, spoilt foreigners

..... and we cry about it ?

I believe Thais can look forward to 500 baht a month in old age pension. We really cant complain that Thai businesses know they cant charge Thais much. 

In my country low wage and older people are given money by the state and charged less by some businesses in many ways. Cheaper haircuts, free travel etc.

Here they get to see a waterfall cheap.

I guess you can think they get it cheaper because of their lower wages and wealth and it being their country or think your being racialy disrespected.  

Depends if you got a persecution complex or not ????????????????????????.

Also why not think positive .. if the Thai wife and family get it cheap its ultimately saving you money toooooooo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I dont have a problem with differential charging at attractions and venues here.  The way I see it, my disposal income is probably higher than the average Thai families, it's their country not mine, so I pay a little more to access them.  Having said that, many, especially around the tourist spots of Pattaya and Phuket,  are not worth the money anyway, which is a different argument.   

Do you think the typical Lao, Myanman or Cambodian migrant worker's average disposable income is higher than the average Thai family's? 

• Like 1