Went to the waterfalls for Songkran but only Thais get in free, not foreigners.

O me, where I come from you present a New Mexico drivers license and you get a lower price to access the various local attractions, if you are older person you get a discount, if you are younger you get a discount. Charging people different prices for entry to attractions worldwide is a standard government operating precedure, so please stop with the Thai bashing. 

I have been in Thailand long enough to have experienced lower prices and even free entry if you have a Thai drivers licenses. When I go somewhere with people if I have seen it or it isn't interesting enough I pass on it and wait outside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

This PDF is just giving wrong information

The title of this pink ID card is: "ID card for people who don't have thai citizenship", so we could call it a "non-Thai ID card", which is quite different from a "Thai ID card" which Thai citizens have.

It is quite clear that you are not supposed to get the "Thai citizen price" by showing a card which says in its title that you are not a Thai citizen.

Edited by jackdd
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This PDF is just giving wrong information

The title of this pink ID card is: "ID card for people who don't have thai citizenship", so we could call it a "non-Thai ID card", which is quite different from a "Thai ID card" which Thai citizens have.

It is quite clear that you are not supposed to get the "Thai citizen price" by showing a card which says in its title that you are not a Thai citizen.

"It is quite clear that you are not supposed to get the "Thai citizen price" by showing a card which says in its title that you are not a Thai citizen."

I would say, it is quite clear you are supposed to get the "living in Thailand price" by showing a card which says you are living in Thailand.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"It is quite clear that you are not supposed to get the "Thai citizen price" by showing a card which says in its title that you are not a Thai citizen."

I would say, it is quite clear you are supposed to get the "living in Thailand price" by showing a card which says you are living in Thailand.

It says only that you are living in Thailand if your ID card number starts with an 8.

Most people will have an ID number starting with a 6, so by showing this card they make clear that they are "temporary visitors in the kingdom" and not residents.

Such an ID card can be obtained with a 3 months volunteer or education visa.

And all this is quite irrelevant because there is no "living in Thailand price", only a "Thai citizen price" (and one price for all others)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It says only that you are living in Thailand if your ID card number starts with an 8.

Most people will have an ID number starting with a 6, so by showing this card they make clear that they are "temporary visitors in the kingdom" and not residents.

Such an ID card can be obtained with a 3 months volunteer or education visa.

And all this is quite irrelevant because there is no "living in Thailand price", only a "Thai citizen price" (and one price for all others)

"And all this is quite irrelevant because there is no "living in Thailand price", only a "Thai citizen price" (and one price for all others)"

From my experience, as supported by others, you're wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

Do you think the typical Lao, Myanman or Cambodian migrant worker's average disposable income is higher than the average Thai family's? 

I don't know and it's not their country, so the Thais' won't care. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I would have done the same. Disgusting they have differential pricing based on skin colour. I presume the OP was a thai resident with a thai family. Imagine trying that in the West with a coloured family.

Yes indeed. The tabloids would have an absolute field day!

The place that did it would be shut down or at the very least ostracized by the local community. Here it's just a case of 'move along folks, nothing to see here, just another disgruntled farang who doesn't understand thai culture.'

It's disheartening to say the least.

8 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Disgusting they have differential pricing based on skin colour. //

They don't. Not all Thai are  same color.

There are some very white skinned Thai, some very dark skinned Thai, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

This has been happening for decades, it's nothing new and chronic whinging about it doesn't help. 

Being married to a Thai and having Thai children does not make you Thai so why should it make a difference for you!  And it is nothing to do with the colour of your lilywhite skin, either, white-skinned Thais don't get charged!

You may be right that white skinned Thais don't get charged but then they tend to look obviously different from Caucasians.  I'm willing to bet that almost all Korean, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Myanmar, Lao and Cambodian people are waved through at Thai prices.  Most of us get hit for the Foreigner Rate on the basis of a fairly cursory glance:  white skin? check, prominent nose? check, hair colour other than black? check, a little on the "chunky" side? check, etc, etc.  That's pretty much what racial profiling means, isn't it?

Anyhow, the whole issue of dual pricing is stupidly managed.  There should be a single posted price for all the National Parks and similar facilities and where appropriate a discount offered to those who live here - the test for non Thais being a driver's license, Tabien Baan or a pink ID card.  The money to support the facilities comes largely from taxes and expats contribute a lot to the economy through sales tax and the transfer of assets to Thai relations via one means or another.  With some careful thought (yeah, I know) and a uniform national policy implemented by properly trained staff this need never be a cause for anyone's resentment. 

• Like 1

he is passing a comment on dual pricing which is NOT fair..does not go on in the UK....

No discounts for senior citizens or students? No ladies nights with discounted drinks? Dual pricing has been ,is now, and will always be around you. Here, it is not charging a foreigner more, it is giving Thai citizens a discount.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So much tosh typed in only 4 pages its fundamentally wrong to offer duel pricing based on skin color and or facial features end of story wherever you are[emoji848] 

Nothing to do with skin color, facial features, etc. there are many people of Indian descent who are Thai citizens. They also get the discount. Any Thai citizen gets the discount, irregardless of race.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

If my back acts up, I can pay 150b for a proper Thai massage that would cost at least 2000b in North America; my 49 sqm bachelor apartment, that costs 4000b PM, would cost at least 20,000b; dental work is much cheaper; my high speed Internet costs 100b Pm - compared to 2000b PM; and food is much cheaper...in your home country

and your salary would be 10 times higher .

Edited by kevvy

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

Thai pricing is only about being a Thai citizen, not about being local, this was explained many times before.

Somebody who is living and working full time in Thailand for 10 years (but didn't get citizenship) does still pay the tourist price. In western countries this person would probably get the locals discount.

I realize that, and all my points still stand. I was using local as synonymous with Thai. I live here, and realize a Thai from Chaing Mai wont be charged foreign prices at a Bangkok attraction. 

I know for a fact, on many occasions, I do not have a statistic, but foreign workers with work permits or even Thai driving licenses do get Thai price. 

Look, forget all that. New point here... life is way way to short to get this bent about things like paying an extra 40 baht somewhere. Seriously, wake up and enjoy your lives, and i mean that in the best possible way, hope it is taken that way. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Oh  but skin colour does  matter, my Burmese staff used to get in for free to many places if  they kept their  mouths  shut. The Thais always thought they were Thai.

You contradicted yourself.  They thought they were Thai, nothing to do with 'colour', unless of course you always equate the colour of someones skin to their ethnicity or Citizenship?  Bit of a stretch for the World's  black communities and African Americans. 

Edited by Pilotman

vote with your wallet.  we have a saying in america:  avoid the brown signs, which means a park sign..always some rentacop type people or even full fledged pigs waiting to fine the heck out of you for a litany of offenses.  makes you appreciate private property.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Despondent Foreigner said:

OK, thanks for some interesting responses. It's rather perplexing to me that many of you think that dual pricing based on ethnicity is an acceptable practice and should be allowed to continue evermore.

Myself and my family disagree and think that it is totally wrong, as my wife said herself 'if that happened to her in a foreign country it would not make her feel welcome at all.'

Guess it's each to their own.

Its dual pricing based on perceived wealth level and ability to pay. Your not a victim. They are being kind to fellow less well off Thais is one way to think of it. Every business everywhere charges at a level they think a potential customer can or will pay.

But hey ho ... you walked away .. fair enough. Thanks for the post to discuss your view

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moontang said:

vote with your wallet.  we have a saying in america:  avoid the brown signs, which means a park sign..always some rentacop type people or even full fledged pigs waiting to fine the heck out of you for a litany of offenses.  makes you appreciate private property.

We do vote with our wallets and you only need to look at the Thai parks successes since the late 90's when they started upping the prices to see that it has been well spent, Thailand is the only country in the region with a growing tiger population, for instance.

• Like 1