Should I change back to 91 from 95?

If the engine is designed to run 91 octane fuel there is no advantage to use 95 octane fuel it wont cause damage to the engine but costs more

If the engine is designed for 95 octane then using 91 could cause engine damage.

If your vehicle specifies 95 octane, you should stick with the manufacturer's recommendation. If 91 or E20 is acceptable, there won't be much difference.

The inside of the filler cap on most vehicles gives guidance as to recommended fuels.

The title suggests he WAS using 91 and now uses 95.

Which given the article relates to lowering not increasing the octane.

Makes no sense.

Perhaps he (OP) might consider stating exactly what his concern is, as suggested.

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Tyre pressures, just look at the sticker on the drivers door jamb, fuel, sticker on the fuel filler flap....????

except that a coupla weeks back... we stopped in a PTT. 

by the time i had come around from the drivet door to watch over things... the attendant was quick! alreadt.y starting to jam the 95 nozzle into the spout!

heh heh fair enough except that the Fortuner is a Diesel!! 

whew stopped him just in the nick of time! 

i pointed at flap "it says DIESEL" 

?... blank looks... 

rephrased my self to repeat... "...DESAL..."

why didnt toyota print this impotant stuff in thai??

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

except that a coupla weeks back... we stopped in a PTT. 

by the time i had come around from the drivet door to watch over things... the attendant was quick! alreadt.y starting to jam the 95 nozzle into the spout!

heh heh fair enough except that the Fortuner is a Diesel!! 

whew stopped him just in the nick of time! 

i pointed at flap "it says DIESEL" 

?... blank looks... 

rephrased my self to repeat... "...DESAL..."

why didnt toyota print this impotant stuff in thai??

You were unlucky seeing that 99% of Fortuner's are diesel..He may have just not liked you...????

Your question in your own words is.......?

Vitara 16v 1600 1999
Hi Transam
If I answer you I answer all I used 91 for years.
As the price diff was small I tried 95 gasohol.
It seemed to have a bit more power But given the NYT article and answers here I wonder if it was the placebo effect.
I started looking up specs online......no manual handy......but given the variety of names this model can have and also reading octane ratings can be different in different countries and people speaking of 87 on Suzuki forums I thought I’d present the article locally for comment.
Kinda interested why there’s such a saving in the US but just a baht here.......do they use gasohol?
BTW yesterday checked car no octane rating on door rim but discovered that someone’s put a Nissan fuel cap on my Suzuki Vitara with nothing written.
If we think there’s no difference in power I’ll change back and buy myself a treat now and again.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, cheeryble said:

Vitara 16v 1600 1999
Hi Transam
If I answer you I answer all I used 91 for years.
It seemed to have a bit more power But given the NYT article and answers here I wonder if it was the placebo effect.
I started looking up specs online......no manual handy......but given the variety of names this model can have and also reading octane ratings can be different in different countries and people speaking of 87 on Suzuki forums I thought I’d present the article locally for comment.
Kinda interested why there’s such a saving in the US but just a baht here.......do they use gasohol?
BTW yesterday checked car no octane rating on door rim but discovered that someone’s put a Nissan fuel cap on my Suzuki Vitara with nothing written.
If we think there’s no difference in power I’ll change back and buy myself a treat now and again.

My fun ride had 98 unleaded plus a lubrication additive....I bought a can of 110 to see what happened over the quarter.....Nufink.....????

5 minutes ago, transam said:

My fun ride had 98 unleaded plus a lubrication additive....I bought a can of 110 to see what happened over the quarter.....Nufink.....????

Just starting a more exciting topic.......stay tuned a short while

1 hour ago, cheeryble said:

Vitara 16v 1600 1999

Now we know the ride here my 2 bahts worth.

All Suzuki vehicles sold in SA since 1985 are good for unleaded fuel - 
Vitara + Grand Vitara - 90 RON / octane or higher
Current Grand Vitara 2 + Jimmy - 90 RON / octane or higher.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Now we know the ride here my 2 bahts worth.

All Suzuki vehicles sold in SA since 1985 are good for unleaded fuel - 
Vitara + Grand Vitara - 90 RON / octane or higher
Current Grand Vitara 2 + Jimmy - 90 RON / octane or higher.

My Suzy is very happy with E20...????

46 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Do all these fuels have detergent in them?

Not that I know of gasoline is a cleaner in itself blended with ethanol burns cleaner than pure gasoline. 

Ethanol cuts a car's greenhouse gas emissions.

Years back engines were made to run on ethanol fuels and more modern engines are designed to run on higher levels of ethanol E85 like the Honda City. 

Quite some time ago a supermarket chain, maybe Asda or Lotus, started selling quite cheap petrol in the UK, cheap enough to become popular fast.
It was discovered that their petrol didn’t contain detergent and quite a fuss was made of it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

2 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Quite some time ago a supermarket chain, maybe Asda or Lotus, started selling quite cheap petrol in the UK, cheap enough to become popular fast.
It was discovered that their petrol didn’t contain detergent and quite a fuss was made of it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I think it was additives, but do you know what you are buying here....I don't...

Even ancient before-obd2 MR2 engine could gain some power(advance timing, more oxygenated) from higher octane... with even lower boost level, no remap

btw, I saw PTT advertise their E20 is 98-99 RON is that true? http://www.pttplc.com/en/products-services/consumer/for-vehicle/ptt-blue-innovation/pages/ptt-blue-innovation.aspx  That'll be great for older cars with only little upgrades go to fuel lines, unlike E85 would mess up AFR without remap & larger pump injectors etc...

100LL now 80baht/L not cheap to mix anymore ????

10 hours ago, transam said:

My Suzy is very happy with E20...????

I checked about my suzuki swift and was told it was tuned for 91 gasohol. I find it runs a little better (smoother) on 95 than E20. I tend not to use 91 as 95 is not much more expensive. 

21 hours ago, cheeryble said:

about 15 years ago the government announced they will faze off the 95 octane and only 91 will be available. At the time I was riding an old Honda 750 cc on 95 octane, so I thought I'll try changing to 91 to see how it goes. The price difference was about 10% lower for 91, however I did feel a bit of power loss, and consumption was about 10% higher...

I am not sure on the difference between 91 and 95, I have heard from others it is about performance? Driving a Honda Jazz around town, that’s not a big issue for me. I did try E20 to save some baht but the km per liter dropped so much it was not worth it. Reckoned I got better value with 91. 

ARAMCO have an interactive website that lets you check the correct octane for your car. http://mycar.saudiaramco.com/start#/choice

The main page answers a lot of questions http://mycar.saudiaramco.com/faq

I only use E-95 for the last tank of gas and storage (so, two tanks) before I return home for an extended stay. No reason not to use the least expensive recommended fuel (91). I read that alcohol in the fuel pulls moisture out of the air so you should not store vehicles with fuel containing alcohol.  (benzine 95 alcohol-free)

1 hour ago, Rawairat said:

I am not sure on the difference between 91 and 95, I have heard from others it is about performance? Driving a Honda Jazz around town, that’s not a big issue for me. I did try E20 to save some baht but the km per liter dropped so much it was not worth it. Reckoned I got better value with 91. 

I believe E20 is 95 octane, my Suzy uses E20 and has a 11-1 CR, goes like a rocket with no knocks..

ARAMCO have an interactive website that lets you check the correct octane for your car. http://mycar.saudiaramco.com/start#/choice

The main page answers a lot of questions http://mycar.saudiaramco.com/faq

Haha nice site but doesn’t go back to 1999.
It seems to recommend 95 for a 2006 Grand Vitara though wonder if the CR went up from my 1999 regular Vitara. Inn fact just remembered I think the letters JLX are my model.....16valve. Not on the website either

Even ancient before-obd2 MR2 engine could gain some power(advance timing, more oxygenated) from higher octane... with even lower boost level, no remap

btw, I saw PTT advertise their E20 is 98-99 RON is that true? http://www.pttplc.com/en/products-services/consumer/for-vehicle/ptt-blue-innovation/pages/ptt-blue-innovation.aspx  That'll be great for older cars with only little upgrades go to fuel lines, unlike E85 would mess up AFR without remap & larger pump injectors etc...

100LL now 80baht/L not cheap to mix anymore [emoji26]

[/url]  

Hi Coremouse
I’d love to say I understand :)

Archived