Should I change back to 91 from 95?

On 4/14/2019 at 2:02 PM, johng said:

If the engine is designed to run 91 octane fuel there is no advantage to use 95 octane fuel it wont cause damage to the engine but costs more

If the engine is designed for 95 octane then using 91 could cause engine damage.

Correct. 91 octane has faster combustion and can damage an engine designed to run on 95 octane. You hear this klak klak klak klak when accelerating; not very healthy for your motor. It's useless to put 95 oct in a 91 running engine, just more expensive.

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

I only use E-95 for the last tank of gas and storage (so, two tanks) before I return home for an extended stay. No reason not to use the least expensive recommended fuel (91). I read that alcohol in the fuel pulls moisture out of the air so you should not store vehicles with fuel containing alcohol.  (benzine 95 alcohol-free)

IIRC Thailand Benzine 95 = 5% alchohol

1 hour ago, Coremouse said:

IIRC Thailand Benzine 95 = 5% alchohol

No, proper Benzine (not found everywhere) will have no alcohol in it. That's why the name Gasohol exists. That's the one with the alcohol (or rather ethanol).

There is Benzine 95 and Gasohol 95. The 95 is the octane rating, has nothing to do with ethanol content.

The very simple rule as to what fuel to use is to just use the fuel recommended by your manufacturer which is usually written somewhere on a sticker or worst case in the owner manual.

Never go for lower octane than specified as that can damage the engine due to premature detonation. Using higher octane wont do anything (no damage, no performance gain, no increased/lowered consumption) and just cost a little bit more*.

Apart from octane you also need to know how much ethanol your engine can deal with. Pretty much all vehicles built in the last couple years will be fine with the 10% found in Gasohol. Many can t ake E20 too, but just check as mentioned. Higher Ethanol fuels are cheaper but also consume more liters per kilometer so it offsets itself.

When parking the vehicle for a long period of time, filling up with Benzine can be a good ideal as it is void of alcohol which absorbs moisture from the air.

Fuels:

Benzine (usually 95): 0% Ethanol

Gasohol 91 and 95: 10% Ethanol (and 90% Gasoline/Benzine)

E15: 15% Ethanol

E20: 20% Ethanol

E80: 80% Ethanol etc.

And of course there's Diesel. If you put Diesel in a vehicle not made for it or vice versa, then you are headed for destination farked.

*: exception are not-so-common higher performance engines

What ever the manufacturer recommends.

Don't go to a lower octane rating, unless you really need to and don't waste money on higher octanes because your car's ignition system is not designed to obtain the best performance available from the higher octane fuel (all modifications aside).

28 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

No, proper Benzine (not found everywhere) will have no alcohol in it. That's why the name Gasohol exists. That's the one with the alcohol (or rather ethanol).

There is Benzine 95 and Gasohol 95. The 95 is the octane rating, has nothing to do with ethanol content.

What I'm saying is Thailand mix 5% alcohol into 95RON "Benzine 95", or at least that's what i'm been told... 

16 minutes ago, Coremouse said:

What I'm saying is Thailand mix 5% alcohol into 95RON "Benzine 95", or at least that's what i'm been told... 

There is both 95 Octane Gasohol with 10% ethanol and 95 Octane Benzine with 0% ethanol available in Thailand. One could call the Gasohol also E10 though that name is not really used here. So what you were being told is not correct, there is no E5 here.

transam: you should know better, old petrol head! ????

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

There is both 95 Octane Gasohol with 10% ethanol and 95 Octane Benzine with 0% ethanol available in Thailand. One could call the Gasohol also E10 though that name is not really used here. So what you were being told is not correct, there is no E5 here.

transam: you should know better, old petrol head! ????

Well I have read that "straight" petrol/benzine has ethanol in it, but ....????

On 4/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, tifino said:

i pointed at flap "it says DIESEL" 

?... blank looks... 

rephrased my self to repeat... "...DESAL..."

I would learn to say diesel in Thai. "'Solah"

Especially as the pump attendants are hired without a university education and without speaking English. Could save a lot of time and trouble..

4 minutes ago, marin said:

Especially as the pump attendants are hired without a university education and without speaking English. Could save a lot of time and trouble..

I think all diesel filler caps/flaps in LOS have Diesel printed on them..So I would expect an attendant to understand what diesel was as he sees it a zillion times a day....????

29 minutes ago, marin said:

yeah! excepting that for the past week I had been in a Fortuner; surronded by a car full of Thais, all saying 'you pay the desal'

who am I to contradict them? for that means I am rejecting them...

anyhows my point was that having 'Diesel' written in the flap was a waste of time

On 4/16/2019 at 2:21 PM, marin said:

No idea what your "Solah" is supposed to mean, i think you got something wrong (or maybe it's Laos, Khmer or Lanna and not Thai)

Thais say/write ดีเซล, which is just Diesel written with Thai alphabet. Because of how Thai works they read it "Diesen" (they pronounce it about like "decent" without the t).

When standing at the gas pump and you say anything like Diesel, the Thai person should understand it.

On 4/15/2019 at 11:04 AM, cheeryble said:

Vitara 16v 1600 1999
Hi Transam
If I answer you I answer all I used 91 for years.
As the price diff was small I tried 95 gasohol.
It seemed to have a bit more power But given the NYT article and answers here I wonder if it was the placebo effect.
I started looking up specs online......no manual handy......but given the variety of names this model can have and also reading octane ratings can be different in different countries and people speaking of 87 on Suzuki forums I thought I’d present the article locally for comment.
Kinda interested why there’s such a saving in the US but just a baht here.......do they use gasohol?
BTW yesterday checked car no octane rating on door rim but discovered that someone’s put a Nissan fuel cap on my Suzuki Vitara with nothing written.
If we think there’s no difference in power I’ll change back and buy myself a treat now and again.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That should be able to run on paraffin ... just add a little drop of the local whisky to help it along ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 5:18 AM, Jaxxper said:

I'm told that using the "E" fuels does detract from the performance. My Honda will take anything from 91 to E85 but I always stick with 91. I guess the "E" fuels are OK in an emergency.

I put E20 in my 2016 Nissan Sylphy 1.6 and on my monthly long drive down to Trang from Pattaya (95% highway driving) doing 100kms/hour I,m averaging 19.5 kms/litre.......excellent economy for a biggish car :thumbsup:

Archived