Any legal guide to dealing with the Thai Police?

JimmyJ

In the US the American Civil Liberties Union and other NGO groups put out guides for "What to do if you are questioned by police", "What to do if arrested", etc., discussing one's rights.

There is also a Youtube video that should be required viewing in public schools and re-viewed every few years - "Don't Talk to the Police" -

and the ACLU and other NGO's put out videos.

Is there anything like this for Thailand, on this forum or elsewhere?

Any Civil Liberties NGO's?

Edited by JimmyJ

Good advice in post no.3

Keep your cool, dont get aggitated or show any signs aggression, roll with it and you'll soon be on your way. (This is all assuming a minor issue).

There is also a pinned topic at the head of this forum here:

On April 14, 2019 at 3:31 PM, Scutty said:

Pay them 500 baht when your first picked up before it goes further . Further it goes , the more cops you got to pay .

It's surprising how many TV posters (claim they ) have experience dealing directly with the police and/or have developed techniques for paying bribes.  

Just kidding. I suppose it's to be expected.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 7:41 PM, batata said:

the thicker the envelope the easy it will be be, thus

1 - don't argue

2- don't raise your voice

3 - smile and apologize, get closer to the one in charge and ask how much...

it should be ok after that, they may direct you to the atm if short of cash

100% correct never raise your voice 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 3:39 PM, richard_smith237 said:

There are some legal guidelines about where and by whom you can be questioned, searched, have your immigration status questioned etc... (I don’t know where they are published though).

BUT... being a realist will serve you far more successfully in any encounter. 

Be accommodating and you’ll be on your way quickly enough. 

If you become difficult it’s highly likely your next few hours will be made miserable. Its just not worth it, you won’t win and there’s no point trying. If you’ve nothing to hide just comply. Relax, take it in your stride, they’ll likely relax and take things in their stride too.

It’s always good to have a respected Thai you can contact if things become difficult... I Senior Policeman can help if the BiB are being total pricks and attempting to extort you.

I have never been questioned by Thai police, but there is one rule I will abide by, and that is, they will never lay a hand on my wallet. They may have their rules, but I have mine too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pdavies99 said:

I am very deaf, and tell them that, then I smile and give them a Thai Lawyers business card! (on the reverse in Thai it is written that I am deaf!

They will show you the door!

Has happened to me twice.

What a great Idea, as soon as they know you are deaf, or they think you are, they won't

waste time and time is valuable to them to get to the next victim. next time I go to Bangkok

the first thing I am going to do is visit a lawyers office.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am very deaf, and tell them that, then I smile and give them a Thai Lawyers business card! (on the reverse in Thai it is written that I am deaf!

The lawyers card is a good idea... it would probably work with a lot of NCO’s... But the educated Cops would certainly call your bluff with the Lawyer...  (or my mates would - they’d see it as a challenge)....

Then what happens when the lawyer doesn’t answer. 

Or if he does, they could theoretically tell the lawyer that you are under suspicion (of anything - i.e. drugs) and want to search you...  Legally they can take you back to the station. You would be locked up in a truck and made to wait until they are ready to go back to the station (*it could be a few hours) then take you back to the station where they search you, find nothing and let you go - You’ve just waisted 2, 3 or 4 hours because you played a game of ego with the Thai Police instead of complying and being on your way within a few minutes.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What a great Idea, as soon as they know you are deaf, or they think you are, they won't

waste time and time is valuable to them to get to the next victim. next time I go to Bangkok

the first thing I am going to do is visit a lawyers office.????

Live long enough in Thailand and it will be easy to go deaf ! (not wishing to belittle your impairment though sir !)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree with you and in doing as much as possible to protect yourself... 

But, best of luck following your rules if a Thai Policeman decides he wants to search you. 

Legally this involves going back to the station where you would / could be searched.

If you refuse at any part at the station you will be arrested and then have to give up your belongings. 

Of course, this is all highly unrealistic and there is usually a compromise in emptying your own pockets and accepting a ‘pat down’ along with opening your wallet to show the Police its contents (i.e. in Sukhumvit they’re looking for drugs in a wallet pocket etc).

In complying as quickly and as best as possible you will be on your way very quickly. 

Annoy the officers or try to dominate the situation and they can make life difficult for you while going on an ego trip. 

Personally - in such a situation I just called one of my close mates (who’s also Police) and he asks them to leave me be. 

Very sensible answer Richard, and I agree with everything you have said, but as far as my wallet

is concerned, there is no way I will let them touch it, although I would open it for them, if they don't agree, then they can take me to their boss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When they ask me where I am going i look confused and say  WAT ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/14/2019 at 7:16 PM, Kwasaki said:

I'm never bothered by the police, if you do something wrong in any country you have to deal with it one way or another.

In Thailand if police stop me and not just wave me on which is the usually thing I just speak in a strong manner asking if they speak English, they wave me through everytime.

You are so commanding. Perforce hansum too?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

You are so commanding. Perforce hansum too?

Yeah I'm commanding when need be, nah not hansum anymore although I'm still told I am.

" Perforce " what's that when it's about.

• Like 1

I've never had to pay a bribe over twenty baht. I've had to pay traffic tickets, ฿100 for exceeding 105 kph from Sattahip to Bangkok, on the stretch after you pass Pattaya, but that was thirty years ago and I was always given a receipt. When I was driving from Chantaburi to Sattahip a lot I used get stopped at check points where every truck carrying produce had to pay ฿20, no receipt. When driving from Nakhon Sawan to Sattahip with a load of fresh water fish I got stopped at a check point and a smiling Police Major took ฿20, no receipt. Never had to pay ฿500.

3 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

Another one, several times I was challenged at the right hand turn from Rama 4 onto the chonburi Tollway. Each time the cop claimed I had run the red light, which wasn't true.

Each time this happened my Thai adult son was with me and he quickly opened my bag and pulled out my PR (Permanent Resident) book and handed it to the cop. 

First a look of bewilderment (because 99% chance the cop had never seen a Thai PR book let alone understood what it was.

Then very quickly 'do you need any help sir'. Son responded 'no thanks' and pulled the book back and we were waved away with a wai from the cop.

On at least one occasion my son overheard mention of satantoot (embassy). 

So more added value from having PR. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

ezgif-4-01dcb558f938.gif.b0ae37c4cafdd91b364b9bd453d237fd.gif

untill you meet a copper with a deaf relative

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, donim said:

ezgif-4-01dcb558f938.gif.b0ae37c4cafdd91b364b9bd453d237fd.gif

untill you meet a copper with a deaf relative

Makes no difference, Lip reading does not work, and Thai signing / writing is completely different to what they use in Europe etc. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree with you and in doing as much as possible to protect yourself... 

But, best of luck following your rules if a Thai Policeman decides he wants to search you. 

Legally this involves going back to the station where you would / could be searched.

If you refuse at any part at the station you will be arrested and then have to give up your belongings. 

Of course, this is all highly unrealistic and there is usually a compromise in emptying your own pockets and accepting a ‘pat down’ along with opening your wallet to show the Police its contents (i.e. in Sukhumvit they’re looking for drugs in a wallet pocket etc).

In complying as quickly and as best as possible you will be on your way very quickly. 

Annoy the officers or try to dominate the situation and they can make life difficult for you while going on an ego trip. 

Personally - in such a situation I just called one of my close mates (who’s also Police) and he asks them to leave me be. 

Some people have grown some, don't you know ?

When one took my wallet, I took it back from his hands because I had 20k inside.

I showed him but NEVER let him take it again in his hands, he liked it or not. At the end he did what I wanted, him or any other of those rats.

15 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

Makes no difference, Lip reading does not work,

Right. But that is no sign language. It is connected with the vocalbular language.

But you can try kiss the cop, let's see what happens ????

15 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

and Thai signing / writing is completely different to what they use in Europe etc. Thanks.

Nope.

And UK is not Europe. Britisch Sign Language is indeed different, very much with the handalphabeth spelling.

That is like reading chinese for a greek.

The rest of the European countries use a Sign Language family that descent from the French (LSF). The handalphabeth are likely the same, and understood.

Like reading Italian script by an German person, not always understood the meaning but surely you can read the letters.

Relatives of deaf, mostly then, only know the sign language used by the deaf relative(s).

The deaf him/herself is very capable to communicate with other people, even when the vocal and written language is not the same.  It is then either International Sign Language or Gestural Sign Language.

In the 6 to 8 times I have been stopped for speeding I have found that 200 baht is the price the officer finds to be acceptable. In other interactions keep calm be pleasant and never let them know you can speak Thai.

Confusion and the language barrier are your friends. If the communication is too difficult more often than not they will just send you on your way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1