Any legal guide to dealing with the Thai Police?

JimmyJ

2 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

In the 6 to 8 times I have been stopped for speeding I have found that 200 baht is the price the officer finds to be acceptable. In other interactions keep calm be pleasant and never let them know you can speak Thai.

Confusion and the language barrier are your friends. If the communication is too difficult more often than not they will just send you on your way.

I've wondered if you are a senior citizen if you may have an edge here as you can play off

senior citizen = addled/hard of hearing/confused (in some people's view).

If one shows them that one cannot understand their English plus responding to almost everything with "What?" holding hand to ear, the frustration may come pretty quicky and then the wave thru.

Edited by JimmyJ

On 4/15/2019 at 11:45 AM, richard_smith237 said:

The lawyers card is a good idea... it would probably work with a lot of NCO’s... But the educated Cops would certainly call your bluff with the Lawyer...  (or my mates would - they’d see it as a challenge)....

Then what happens when the lawyer doesn’t answer. 

Or if he does, they could theoretically tell the lawyer that you are under suspicion (of anything - i.e. drugs) and want to search you...  Legally they can take you back to the station. You would be locked up in a truck and made to wait until they are ready to go back to the station (*it could be a few hours) then take you back to the station where they search you, find nothing and let you go - You’ve just waisted 2, 3 or 4 hours because you played a game of ego with the Thai Police instead of complying and being on your way within a few minutes.  

No, that has never happened at all, I never play your game of "EGO"

What can I do do if I genuinely cannot understand them? You seem to think I was trying to beat the syatem, far from it...being deaf is like lving in my own prison!

I understand part of your sarcastic comments though.

I am genuinely very deaf and have when had issues I have given them my phone to speak to Thai friends and they have always understood my problem.

I have some trust in the Police and they have always been very helpful.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:42 AM, scorecard said:

Another one, several times I was challenged at the right hand turn from Rama 4 onto the chonburi Tollway. Each time the cop claimed I had run the red light, which wasn't true.

Each time this happened my Thai adult son was with me and he quickly opened my bag and pulled out my PR (Permanent Resident) book and handed it to the cop. 

First a look of bewilderment (because 99% chance the cop had never seen a Thai PR book let alone understood what it was.

Then very quickly 'do you need any help sir'. Son responded 'no thanks' and pulled the book back and we were waved away with a wai from the cop.

On at least one occasion my son overheard mention of satantoot (embassy). 

So more added value from having PR. 

And a Thai son...